On Charlie Daniels

With lousy fiddle playing.

Anyone whose basic philosophy is something other than “Murica! Fuck yeah!”.

This dissonance has been bugging me for years. So, he became the kind of person he used to lampoon? Gods save us from getting old.

Well I dont know. The young hippy types of the 70’s should appreciate “Uneasy Rider” where this long haired young man driving a Chevy with a peace sign has a confrontation with southern rednecks.

He also made a great antiwar song called “Still in Saigon”.

BTW, “Devil went Down to Georgia” appears on a version of the video game “Guitar Hero” but on that version the devil can sometimes win.

As for politics, some performers just cant shut up. My relatives once went to a Barbera Streisdand concert and she spent half the time talking liberal politics. Or go see Penn and Teller in Vegas and half the show is them talking.

Half the show is Penn talking.

Clearly this is a critical, burning issue which must be solved immediately.

Charlie Daniels? He’s still alive?

Either that, or it’s mundane and pointless (see post #7).

In both of these cases, this would bug the shit out of me even though I generally agree with their politics. Shut up and play a song (ur, um…do a magic trick)! :mad:

He’s no John Denver, though.

Charlie Daniels has had his share of good music, some great songs, and a lot of dreck. Like most artists.

Yes, he’s morphed into a shit-kickin’ good ole’ boy, but that describes half of country music. And anyway, popular music is full of idiots with wacky political beliefs from outright Marxism to the kind of reactionary redneck-ism Daniels represents.

Personally, I don’t let the politics get in the way of enjoying music, because if I stopped listening to every artist that had bat-shit crazy ideas, I’d have to give up some really good artists.

BTW, he did a terrible sequel to ‘Uneasy Rider’ called 'Uneasy Rider ‘88’ in which he flips sides and becomes the redneck who goes into a gay bar by accident, punches someone who puts his hand on his knee, and then has to fight his way out as a gang of transvestites scratch and claw at him and his buddy. Total dreck.

Huh. Never heard of him.

He had a couple songs pick up well after they were released and some damn good luck. Other than that he doesn’t even deserve to be mentioned in the same paragraph as say a Hank Snow, Hank Williams Sr, or Johnny Cash. In IMHO he’s basically the Prince of country music.

If the OP had posted the same snark about Hank Williams, Junior, I’d be right there snarking along. It’s one thing to have crazy ignorant political beliefs, but when your music sucks, too, that’s unconscionable.

:confused:

Bad-mouthing Prince?

That demands satisfaction, sirrah. My seconds will call on you tomorrow.

I originally posted this in MPSIMS. It was a weak attempt at humor. I’ve been trying for the past few minutes to write something to explain my history with CD. I cannot, other than to say he was my second concert, when I was all of 15 years old, in the seventies, and he played songs like Saddle Tramp. I just wish he would shut the fuck up and not ruin my memories. Selfish of me? You better believe it!

If you’re poking fun at the late Mr. Deutschendorf, Jr., I’m going to have to take you to task. :stuck_out_tongue:

sirrah, my advice to you is, have your seconds call on his seconds. If his seconds aren’t available, have your seconds go directly to his thirds.

Speaking of which…

Yeah, I appreciate his charity in our shared hometown, and I spend many Saturday afternoons when my kids were younger watching them on the Charlie Daniels Park playground. As a novice fiddle player I enjoy watching him play (he seems to go through a bow on every song!?) and I am old enough to remember when Devil Went Down to Georgia and Still in Saigon were crossover hits. I don’t think “County Legend” is an overstatement.

His political views are an embarrassment, but he’s hardly the only country artist in that category.