One ADAM-12 a Jazz festival is getting out of hand...

I have been watching all the episodes of ADAM-12 in order on Hulu, and I think I have reached the point where it jumped the shark. Log 24: A Rare Occasion.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/11954/adam-12-log-24-a-rare-occasion#s-p2-n2-so-i0

A pretty bad episode all around, but the final line, “A Jazz Festival is getting out of hand”. Orly? I am surprised that Webb let that pass, being a Jazz fan himself. Has there ever been, in the history of Jazz, a festival that got out of hand? Yikes. That Negro music must drive the kids insane!

Usually in Webb productions, eastern music was portrayed as the tool of the devil. Almost any episode of 60’s Dragnet had either Ravi Shankaresque or some vaguely Grateful Deadish music as the background for the villans (actually always the same cut if you check out Dragnet, the cheap bastards) but ADAM-12 was a pretty good police procedural up until about halfway through season two, and then it started getting as corny as the infamous “Blue Boy” episode of Dragnet.

Anyway, I am wading through the series and it actually isn’t half bad up until this one. Millner and McCord are decent actors, the scripts (at least the early ones) ring true, and there are actually some standout episodes that rank in the best dramatic television of the era. I am thinking of the first season episode where Reed is being interrogated after a shooting. Lots of dramatic tension with actors doing their stuff in a confined room.

So just wanted to drop this in, for any other ADAM-12 fans out there, this thread can also be to discuss the show in general.

And please, no spoilers, I am only halfway though season two. I don’t want to know if Malloy ever settles down or not! :smiley:

I haven’t seen this episode, so I won’t comment on it.

However, there is a podcast featuring the old Dragnet radio show, as well as another podcast by the same guy with Pat Novak for Hire, which also starred Webb. It’s really interesting to take an episode like “The Big Baby Jesus” and compare it to how it played on TV.

You can find them at greatdetectives.net.

Awesome. And by the very next episode, “Airport” we are back to the Webb meme of garishly dressed hippies smoking Marijuana in Peter Max houses, and the guy is getting it on with some underage girl. I wonder how much the series deteriorates from there, but indications aren’t good.

And I wonder if Webb had any idea how many of his Jazz music heroes were confirmed pot smokers. He really had a hardon for weed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Twre6ItGEI

I will agree with him on one point. LSD is the bomb!

As a whole, Adam-12 wasn’t horrible, but Webb was fairly conservative, so many of the younger characters come across as caricatures. Some of the episodes really play like mental hygiene films, they’re so cartoonish.

Well, I have been to a number of Grateful Dead concerts, where there were probably ten thousand people under the influence of LSD, but I never saw anyone with their head buried under the ground claiming to see the pilot light of the earth! :wink:

I just find it kind of odd that Webb would be so into Jazz and apparently have no clue about the drug that was an integral part of the inspiration for a lot of those musicians. And he was reportedly a drinker. The minute the set wrapped he would be drinking scotch.

Anyway, the first season and a half of ADAM-12 stays out of the “Blue Boy” territory for the most part. I wonder if as Dragnet wrapped for the final time, Webb started exerting his hand in the show more. I don’t know much about Mr. R. A. Cinadar, but if my timeline is correct, ADAM-12 began production while Dragnet was still in production, and Webb was an Executive Producer, so presumably Cinadar was really helming the show at least until Friday and Gannon hung up their badges. It just seems like the show took a turn towards the campiness we associate with the 60’s Dragnet about then…

And another question, you say that Webb was a conservative, and certainly he was anti drug, but do we really know his politics? Was he a Republican? Did he support the war in Viet Nam? Sure he was for law and order, but did that extend to things like foreign policy? My impression of him was that he was primarily a defender of the police, didn’t like that policemen are disrespected, etc. And quite frankly, I don’t see a problem with that. I have criticized police on this board, but I do respect them, at least he honest ones, and the tough job they do.

Being jerkish to an officer is a stupid dick move, that will get you nowhere. They hear it all the time, and it only serves to alienate the people who have sworn to protect and serve us.

Never knew this - they wanted Webb to be Dean Wormer in Animal House but he turned it down.

I think they wound up with the perfect guy for it though.

Which ep had the lost Finnish girl? In one ep, possibly a later one, there’s a lost little blonde girl who, to the officers’ ears, anyway, is speaking gibberish. They finally find someone who can identify that she’s speaking Finnish. Presumably she had gotten separated from her parents.

Oh, and my favorite scene: In one ep, there’s a person who’s playing loud music, and a neighbor complains. It’s been a really long time since I’ve seen this one, but I’d swear that the loud music that was drawing the complaints was none other than a record of Lawrence Welk’s “Irish tenor” Joe Feeney.

Haven’t gotten to either of those yet. Just finished season two tonight. Fun to track down locations and check them out on Google Earth. It was almost all shot within ten miles of Universal, in the San Fernando Valley, or on the Universal backlot, usually on New York Street. The backlot stuff is jarring because it doesn’t look like LA at all! Seems they did more location work in the second season after the show was a hit. I guess they had a little bigger budget to work with.

A lot of the sequences hold together because they used real Geography a lot of the time. Fun to see how a lot of places looked back then. You can often pick out a building that pins down the location, and see how much the area has changed over the last 40 years. And yet some of the scenes, except for the cars parked or going by, could have been shot yesterday.

As odd as it may seem to modern audiences the 1960 Newport Jazz Festival actually was cut short to disorderly fans. Here’s a contemporary article.