One of my geese died does the other one know it?

One of my geese died last night…I think the dogs got it. The body is still laying out there by the pond. The other one doesn’t seem to know or give a shit. Do you suppose animals ( or fowl in this case) know it when their “friends” die. Or are they just too damn dumb.

PS. I did a search on this but came up with a goose egg. ( Damn there’s one of those puns again.)

Mama Get The Hammer (There’s A Fly On Papa’s Head)
famous C&W song

Yours truly,
aha

Well, I’ve never kept geese, but I read a lot, and everything I’ve read about poultry says that geese mate for life, so I would guess that yeah, the other one knows perfectly well that somebody died during the night.

I sense that you are disturbed because the remaining goose isn’t weeping and wailing and generally carrying on. I think that in the wild, it’s considered better not to call attention to yourself, for any reason, hence the discreet silence.

I think you’ll just have to wait to see if the goose pines away and dies. I have the impression that it’s mostly wild geese that do this, that domestic geese are considerably more tolerant of changing partners. Also, I think I read that some varieties of geese are more monogamous than others, but I don’t really know.

I think animals are a lot smarter than people give them credit for. It’s just that their field of knowledge is so different. We see a squirrel trying to cross a busy highway, and we think, “Stupid squirrel”, but actually the squirrel is coping rather well. Some squirrels do figure out how to cross the street without getting smooshed.

Nothing in the last 35 million years of evolution prepared them for the 4-lane highway. I sometimes wonder how humans would do if, say, giant yellow bulldozers appeared in the sky, but instead of destroying the Earth, they built the 4-lane hyperspace bypass right down the middle. Would we be as good as the squirrels in figuring out how to cross the street?

Today’s Deep Thought has been brought to you by…

It’s too early in the morning for this, Aha. Bring more coffee.

“Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!” - the White Queen

Maybe the two geese hated each other, and the remaing one is quietly jubilant.

There is not doubt in my mind that the other geese is aware that its longtime neighbour has died. But, like Notthemama said, geese probably don’t express surprise/grief/fear in the same way humans do.

My theory is that the second Geese killed the first one, and is trying to avoid attracting attention.

Second GEESE? Er, second goose.

Well come to think of it I did notice the remaining goose observing a moment of silence. It’s entirely possible that he was asleep tho.

famous C&W song

Yours truly,
aha

Oh and did I mention I suspectfowl play during the night?

famous C&W song

Yours truly,
aha

Elephants are the only animals known to mourn their dead.

How about the dogs that lie howling on their master’s grave and die there?