Online article citations

Lately I’ve noticed that even at universities, some academic journals are available only via the Internet. While this is convenient in many ways (not least because they don’t charge me to print out an article but do charge to copy one) it leaves me with a citation problem.

If I want to reference a particular page in the article, how do I do that? The original journal pagination has been eliminated and the actual pagination of the pages I print out is determined by the way the attached printer is set up and so would vary from site to site.

Is there an accepted standard yet for citing an article found via the Internet?

Exapno Mapcase

Are we talking MLA or APA formatting? Each standard has their own guidelines for online citations. You can find the standards at their respective websites.

Abel, who just finished a 30 page annotated Bibliography for his Social Psychology class.

http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/citex.html is what I recommend to students.

Nice site Merlot! It’s on my list of bookmarks now. :slight_smile:

That is a great site, Merlot, but as far as I can tell in a quick scan, the advice given is that there is no way to cite a page. That may be what I’ll have to do, but it bothers me that I can’t find anything there to precisely corresponds to my question. The articles I’m talking about are not from a web page or even an electronic journal but a print journal that I can access only through an online database. So there do exist formal page numbers: I just don’t know what they are.

I’m still going to bookmark the site, though.

APA:
Author (date of original source). Article title. Original source of article, page numbers. (Retrieved [month day, year,] from [source] database ([name of database], [item no. – if applicable]) on the World Wide Web: Electronic Address, or URL, of the source.

Instead of footnote or endnote, the author’s last name and the publication year (original source/date of visit to site) are placed in parentheses within the body of the text

Chicago:
Author. “Article title.” Original source of article, date of original source, page numbers. Product the article is available on; URL of specific article (Location of site publisher, publisher, date of visit to site).

Number of footnote Author, Article Title, date of Internet publication, URL or other retrieval information (date of access), text division (if applicable).

MLA:
Author’s Last Name, First Name. “Title of work.” Article’s original source and publication date: page numbers. Product name. Publisher. Date researcher visited site. <Electronic Address, or URL, of the source>.
Instead of footnotes or endnotes, the author’s last name and a shortened version of the title are place in parentheses within the body of the text.

Turabian:
Author. “Article title.” Original source of article, date of original source, page numbers. Product the article is available on; URL of specific article (Location of site publisher, publisher, date of visit to site).

Number of footnote Author, “Article title,” Original source of article, date of original source, page numbers, product the article is available on; URL of specific article (Location of site publisher: publisher, date of visit to site).
The first under each is the bibliography entry format followed by the footnote/endnote format.

Most databases have a help section that will indicate how to cite the articles obtained.

http://www.ipl.org/ref/QUE/FARQ/netciteFARQ.html might also help.