Online (in)fertility communities?

A friend of mine is going through a lot of emotional crap right now because of her and her husband’s inability to get pregnant. They’re going through steps so I do not know where they’re at in the process or what their specific roadblocks are (not my business, really).

She confided in me the other day that she has no one to talk to about it - her one sister is pregnant right now, the other not looking to be. All of her friends have had kids with no problems. She comes from a big family that is not able to understand the inability to have kids and they frustrate her. I’m no help because I am not interested in having a baby in the least (although I am extremely frustrated and sad for her).

I know some Dopers have gone through fertility issues, so maybe you have come across good online communities for women going through this? She really needs some support, I feel.

If anyone is going through this right now and needs someone to talk to, maybe PM me and I can put you in touch with her too. I don’t know how she’d feel about talking to women who have had success with infertility treatment right now - I think she’s touchy about anyone with babies at the moment.

Thanks!

I’ve sent you a PM in case your friend want some one to talk to, or compare notes with.

I’m in a similar position to her, so can sympathise. I’m not active in the whole infertility community, but have found that reading the blogs of people in similar positions has been very helpful. Maybe you could point her in the direction of the Stirrup Queens blog list, as this is perhaps the definitive place to go for this sort of thing.

Sorry, I can’t be of more help. It’s a very personal thing to go through, so this is maybe why you haven’t had many replies (cos dopers are *such *a private bunch!).

What I can say, though, is that there is no one way that anyone deals with this sort of thing, so it can be hard for friends and relatives to know how to help.

Good luck to your friend. I am sure she will appreciate whatever support you can give her.

If you’re friend is a knitter, spinner, and/or weaver, she may already belong to Ravelry. On Ravelry there are a ton of different forum groups, including this one. Even if she’s not crafty, she might find this group useful as there seems to be a wide range of experiences and a lot of empathy there.

Here’s a good one: ivf-infertility.com | Page cannot be found!