Divorce support groups?

I’m finding that there are some aspects of my upcoming divorce that I’m not handling as well as I’d like to right now. And while I know I need to get back into therapy, I also feel like I want to surround myself a bit more with people who know what it’s like and have their own take on things, but I don’t know many people like that right now.

I’ve had a few people suggest joining a divorce support group. Even though I’ve never thought of myself as the kind of person sitting in circle with a group of strangers to talk about my woes, I find myself strangely not opposed to the idea. But I thought I’d ask if any Dopers here had joined such a group (I guess, if you feel like sharing, that it can be any type of support group you’ve had experience with) and how it did or didn’t help you.

And if anyone has any recommendations for a particular divorce support group in the LA area, I’d love to know. Thanks.

I have been in support groups twice in my life and found them helpful both times. There is something really different about talking with people who have been through what you are going through. Not everyone likes them, but I do. You might want to check local churches, if you are so inclined, or the local freebie paper. Support groups tend to advertise in those sorts of places.

Also check to see if there’s a municipal health or mental health office: they’d probably have info on various groups.

Sorry things aren’t going so well, but glad you’re dealing with them instead of getting buried.

I recommend more email Scrabble – good for what ails you.