OP by someone on your "ignore list." Viewable?

If someone on my ignore list posts to a thread I’m following, I can view the individual post by clicking “VIEW 1 HIDDEN REPLY.” But if that user has submitted the OP, the OP remains invisible to me and remains hidden under the rubric Ignored content (even if someone else quotes it). Is there a workaround for this, or must I un-ignore the user in order to view the OP?

TIA

It would be trivial for you to do a test and find out.

Huh? I know that “un-ignoring” the user will make the content visible to me. What I’m trying to learn is whether I can view the content without doing so.

Or did you have a different test in mind?

1. Choose a random thread.

2. Put the OP on Ignore.

3. Observe the results.

4. Take the OP off Ignore.

I appear to have failed to make myself clear. My goal is to leave the poster on “Ignore,” and have the option of reading the poster’s OP anyway. Is this possible?

Their thread shows, but the first post says that you’ve put the poster on ignore.

The bigger potential problem is how it indicates posts in-thread. It will not tell you who has been ignored, and will combine posts that occur in a row into one button. It’s all or nothing with unhiding the posts. And it’s much easier to miss the small, faded indicator and not realize anyone was ignored at all.

If the goal was fewer people on ignore, it succeeds. But that means posters who rub each other the wrong way are still less likely to use it, and thus more likely to get upset at each other.

I’m parsing that as “No, it’s not possible.” Correct?

No, I misunderstood your question. All I’m saying is that, if you see “VIEW 2 HIDDEN REPLIES” then there’s no way to just view on 1 of the replies.

That said, having taken @hajario’s advice, I cannot find a way to show the first post of a thread if that user is on my ignore list. I could have sworn I figured out a way before, but it doesn’t seem to work.

I never actually see “VIEW 2 HIDDEN REPLIES” that I’ve noticed. I guess posters on my Ignore list aren’t in the habit of posting twice in a row.

Yeah, I went ahead and tried it, too, with similar results. Maybe when @codinghorror wakes up in the morning he’ll come in with a more definitive answer.

Nevermind. I found a way. It’s annoying, but doable.

You just click the reply button on the top post, then click the quote button inside the editor, and you’ll see the post.

Not ideal, but it does work as a workaround, and is better than what I thought I’d need to do–create a userscript that would parse the source code.

Yeah, it does work as a workaround, and it’s lots more convenient than temporarily lifting and re-lowering my personal banhammer.

Thanks SO much.

:slight_smile:

@codinghorror, false alarm. You can go back to sleep.