Orange juice: pulp or no pulp?

Not sure how to vote. I like both. When I want it with pulp, I like lots of pulp. When I want it without pulp, I want none. I like them equally.

I prefer no pulp, but it’s no hardship if it does have pulp. I usually get the cheapest, though, which may not be the best idea now that I think about it.

I do have a favourite brand of juice, but it’s not widespread so I can’t get it very often. I think it’s pulp-free, but if it’s not, I don’t mind because it is completely delicious.

You are scaremongering. Brain damage from low blood sugars results from severe and prolonged hypoglycemia. Chugging an OJ is a perfectly acceptable first treatment for routine lows.

I have never, in 32 years of practice, heard of anyone recommending using glucose tabs or gels exclusively or firstly as a routine response. And neither the ADA, the Mayo Clinic, or a few other random sites I’ve checked do this.

Anyway, I apologize for the hijack. I’m going to drop this discussion.
mmm

I like pulp. It just makes it seem more legit I guess.

I don’t fully trust a pulpless OJ, just seems fake to me.

The only exception I’ll make is if I’m mixing it with liquor, then it’s gotta be smooth.

[Moderating]

Yes, let’s officially drop the diabetes discussion. This is not the place for medical advice. “Fiber is good for you” is one thing, but “this is what diabetic patients should do if their blood sugar drops too low” is quite another.

That was the reason I hated pulp when I drank orange juice. The stuff seemed to hang in the back of my throat for a half hour after I drank it. Yuck.

I voted pulp, but upon reflection I’m not sure why it is my preference. I normally hate any sort of floaties in my beverages. Even cereal with milk gives me pause sometimes. Maybe the pulp makes it feel more natural.
mmm

Yessssssssss, perfect description! My husband hates pulp, whereas I love what I call “chewy juice”. But since I don’t drink it other than in alcoholic drinks, when we do get it, we get no pulp.

I drink it with pulp. No-pulp orange juice is for babies.

Not in orange juice. Love it in apple cider, though.

Edit: come to think of it, a little pulp might be okay. I was thinking about the super pulpy stuff. But just enough to know it’s real is okay. But I still like it without, so little-to-no pulp still is closest to my no pulp vote, I think.

I like pulp. I enjoy the mouthfeel. It might be illusory, but it makes it feel more like is came from an orange to me. And I sort of like the feel of the pulp going down my throat, too.

Some very fine pulp, not the confetti you get in store bought.

OF COURSE I JUICE MY OWN ORANGES WITH THIS WHISPER QUIET JUICER THAT YOU CAN BARELY TELL IS RUNNING IT’S SO QUIET AND IT LEAVES A VERY VERY FINE PULP IN THE JUICE

If I am forced to drink orange juice (I don’t like it much, so only consume it to be a polite guest or if there is nothing else available), I like pulpy. Makes it seem more like a real food instead of some sugary processed substance.

Speak up, wouldja? I can’t hear you over the sound of your electric juicer :slight_smile:

From the time I was able to pour my own juice into a glass by myself, I would dig out a strainer and pour it through that, to get rid of the pulp. I think pulp in o.j. is disgusting, foreign matter bobbing around. Like bugs, or flies wings - no pulp here.

I can’t convince my husband or his parents that juice is inherently unhealthy. My MIL described it as “sad” that my SIL doesn’t routinely give juice to her 6 and 4yo kids.

Fly’s wings. Excellent description. :cool:

Would be hard to imagine caring less.

Try this: imagine caring so little that you don’t even bother to respond to the thread.
mmm

Yeah, I thought about that, but it’s a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I just spent a busy night shift in the ER, so I’m responding to unimportant threads that nobody needs to take too seriously.

[Moderating]
If it’s not worth caring about, it’s not worth replying to. Either nobody else cares about a topic, in which case it’ll quietly sink off the front page (as long as nobody bumps it by saying that they don’t care), or somebody does care about it, and they’d appreciate you not threadshitting.