Order of the Stick book 7 discussion thread

I thought it might be the MITD, following Alessan’s guess that it was tied to Zeus in some way. But we see Zeus in two strips during the prequels.

I thought of the Hellish Telephone scene involving Lee and Tiamat, but Tiamat shows up in a few strips too.

LOL, maybe it’s the Slaad from the Deva’s childbirth scene?

I agree with your logic on it being some deity or the equivalent.

EDIT: would one of the Vector Legion we didn’t see much of, make sense? I don’t see it, but then I don’t see how a deity popping into the story now would make sense either.

What’s Durkon up to?

I don’t think she’s appeared at all. She was just mentioned by Roy, I think.

Goblin Dan has appeared in two strips: 326 and 705.

Yes. 634 and in Origin of PCs

How about Haley’s Aunt Ivy? Or Haley’s mom? Pretty sure both have appeared in only one strip each. Too bad cousin Jiminy has appeared in two strips; he’d be a lot more fun, I think. Oh, I know, Jiminy’s cat.

She appeared in one of the prequels, SOD I think, in a single panel flashback duelling Eugene at school while the Warthog watches.

Damn it! On the Dan cite. I really thought he was a one strip joke.

Origin counts? Does Start of Darkness, or Snips, Snails…? Or the Kickstarter stories?

I see what you mean with the Aunt Ivy crack. After a while, it gets silly. I mean, we might as well nominate Banjthulu… I’m so glad we have OOTS to discuss again.

Just so people know, you can look the stats up.

This page shows how many times every character has appeared in. You can just scroll down until you get to the single appearances.

The most commonly appearing characters:

Roy - 752 appearances (including appearances in bonus material)
Haley - 681
Elan - 680
Belkar - 614
Durkon - 571 (Durkon the Vampire is counted separately and appeared 88 times)
Vaarsuvius - 526
Mr Scruffy - 224
Redcloak - 202
Blackwing - 180
Xykon - 180
Hinjo - 153
O-Chul - 142
Nale - 141
Monster in the Darkness - 111
Tarquin - 110
Sabine - 104
Miko - 101

There are a lot of one strip characters. Maybe it will be GI Joe. Or Popcorn.

I like how Spartacus, Spartacus and Spartacus each get their own entry.

Misspelled each time, too.

Note that, if that list is based on the “Number of Character Appearances” thread (it probably is; I can’t imagine anyone else independently tracking such things), then speech bubbles by the characters also count as “appearances”, which might or might not be what Rich means.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to refer directly to the Number of Character Appearances thread, as the GiantITP message boards have been down for a couple of weeks.

Not an entirely silly idea. She’s likely a high level rogue anyway. And I’ve got reasons for thinking she’ll return as a major character.

Sure looked like a last panel joke, but a goblin caterer was needed …

He did say “prequels” and that’s a prequel. SoD is one too, but Snips is not except maybe the Julio Scoundrel story.

I think I’ll go with Jiminy’s cat if we ever get to vote on it. Of course, it could also be Death, who I’m fairly sure is also a one-strip character.

Could it be some form of Astral Projection?

This is correct. Barry White is an example of a character who is listed as appearing in the strip even though it was just a playing of one of his records.

I believe Burlew has said that the OOTS strips that appeared in The Dragon are not canon (although Belkar once referenced something from them in the main strip).

Otherwise, I might have picked Psteve as my guess for one strip character who will appear in this arc.

Dammit - now I miss Wrecan again.

Psteve is pdead though. And was a one-joke wonder.

On Julia - I did wonder if she was dead, although I assumed that this was more likely to just be some form of magic comms. However, just once I’d like to see Roy push back against his family’s abuse. I know it’s out of character (and comic style) but right now I could really use him saying “Fuck you, Julia - you got yourself kidnapped; I just stopped the gods from destroying the entire universe. So just say your slacker bullshit and piss off.”

Just reading through the “one-strip character” list. It includes most of the Northern Pantheon so my best guess is that it’s one of them.

Of course, Rich Burlew himself is a one-strip character (as is, separately, his thumb) so that’d be a real curveball.

Separately? They are both listed as appearing in #864. As far as I can see, they are both the same character. It should be one entry.

My two copper pieces is that it will be someone who was in the background of an Important Group. Like we’re being introduced to a god or a ruler or the leader of a guild, and the focus is on one character, and then Mr./Ms. One-Strip Wonder is one of the people shown standing there.

As for the current strip: Julia might be a brat, but at least she’s better company than Eugene.

Not a deal breaker. Three of the seven current members of the group have been dead at some point. As far as formerly dead members are concerned, the Order of the Stick is right up there with the Justice League of America.

Roy and Durkon have been dead. To my knowledge Belkar, V, Hayley and Elan haven’t been. Unless you count Belkar being dead in phantasm space, which I don’t. What am I missing? And where do you get seven? If you count “pets” it’s nine. If you don’t, it’s six.