Order of the Stick book 7 discussion thread

I love all the different interpretations of the title:

First, obviously, the episode ends with the major characters basically agreeing.

Second, that agreement was largely brokered by Belkar, the only one whose eyes are at the same level as Serini’s.

And third, of course, you have the Eleven Puppy Dog Eyes.

And of course the Lawful types can’t get their message across to the chaotic halfling. It take their own chaotic types to find a common viewpoint. It’s not the first time that Rich has shown the problem with the inflexibility of the lawful personality type. The older paladin though, he has a high enough WIS to sort of see the advantages of a little chaos.

And Lien realized the tide was turning against her and wisely shut up.

But she did a cool thing with the shark!

I don’t agree that it was down hill for her since then. She also did this.

I think she meant the more recent cool thing with the shark. Like, ten minutes earlier.

I like how two of those are Elan’s!

Though I still love the exchange from that strip:
“Trust me.”
“Always.”

Now that “we’re all friends” how many existing sides do you think there are to this conflict that still have a major part to play and pretty much want the same outcome?

I’d say

1. OotS, Sapphire Guard, Thor and all the gods that want to preserve the world, Serini and Sunny.
  2. Xykon
  3. Redcloak, and maybe the Dark One
  4. IFCC
  5. The Snarl, (with Vector Legion pawns maybe)
  6. Gods not down with saving the world
  7. MitD. (Almost certain to end up on side 1, but certainly not there yet, clearly not still on side 2 or 3)
  8. The Dark One, (if he’s lying to Redcloak, otherwise part of side 3)

3 - I think Redcloak and DO are a single side. There’s never been any hint of Redcloak being other than completely devoted to the plan. And no reason for DO to lie.

5 - I don’t think the Snarl is a side as such, more like the prize they’re all playing for. Tarquin and Co. are definitely a side though.

6 - I can’t see any of these Gods taking action here - they don’t have any ‘pieces’ in play and Hel lost hers.

7 - Not a side by himself. Also:

Gate? What Gate?

Oh, and since nobody else has mentioned it: Of course Lien is familiar with what mermen wear on their nethers. Or don’t, as the case may be.

Don’t forget Tarquin and his cohort (minus Malack), and the anti-Tarquin group (including Ian Starshine, the bounty hunters and almost certainly Sabine).

Also Hilgya is sort of a side on her own, but I’d tack her onto the protagonists’ group in a broader sense.

Is Hilgya really a side? I included MitD because he probably will play a pivotal role. I’m not ruling antyhing out but as far as the main plot is concerned think Hilgya is probably done.

Sabine I would now include under IFCC as she no longer has any Linear Guild.

It’s hard to say what’s happening in #945 but I think it’s Milo and Laurin getting brainwashed by the Snarl; if so it’s possible that they could convince Jacinda and nameless, and possibly even Tarquin to come close enough for it to happen to them.

I dunno - she’s still working for the IFCC but she’s got a personal vendetta against Tarquin. So maybe she’s on two sides (which do not appear to be in opposition, so no issues there).

Hard to tell until we see them again, but I’m not sure there’s a point in having an anti-Tarquin resistance in the story if Tarquinand his friends are just going to be borgified by the Snarl. Although I suppose they could be part of an anti-Snarl storyline. Way too early to say.

Myron, I think.

Miron. Miron Shewdanker.

And Miron seems to be pulling Laurin to safety. As for Laurin - she looks to be “fascinated” or possibly “dazed” - those are the two most likely conditions from their descriptions. And they’re quite temporary. I’m guessing they’ll both be fine.

1257: Mental Block

Roy, um…using some interesting words there.

Also: nice Snarl picture.

Poor Roy :frowning: and with his luck the two goblins playing Junior Detective are going to figure out the teleporters now. After all, Roy just went over the plan out loud, which means it will never happen as described…

I think Roy should be over-joyed right now rather than upset. Book 4 wasn’t that long ago.