Oregon people aren't smart enough to pump gas?

And remember, Oregon was the worst unemployment in the nation. Keeping all of the stations full-service certainly helps create jobs. Crappy jobs, yes, but jobs nonetheless.

One thing that hasn’t been brought up yet is the problem faced by owners of OBDII (mostly 96 and later) equipped cars in Oregon and NJ. If the cretin working the pumps doesn’t get the gas cap on correctly the check engine light will come on. This requires a visit to the repair shop to find out that the gas station employs mellon heads.
so either the owner of the car has to get out to double check the pump jockey work, or pay roulette and hope the job was done correctly.

Kniz, there’s a charge for in-state visitors as well.

I use a wheelchair and pump my own gas. It’s a pain but luckily I don’t need to do it often.

There was one station in town that was full serve and I would go out of my way (and pay more) to go there, but now it’s gone.

I find the self-serve stations that say they’ll pump for disabled people to be useless. I don’t know how I’m supposed to attract the attendant’s attention. Honk the horn, flash my lights, and wave my parking placard out the window? If they’re busy how do they acknowledge they’ve seen me and will come when they can? It’s easier to get out than deal with the communication problems and embarassment.

I think if I drove a van where the ramp was on the same side as the gas cap it would be tough to get out and still be close enough to fuel though.

O.K, People like drive-thru food, bank, drug stores, doughnuts and whatever, but they can’t see the convenience of drive-thru gas??? What kind of morons are you? I give a pass to the anal types who don’t want any one else touching their car-- but I can’t see the reason in the other arguments.

In response to the person who said

I’m not disabled, and I drive just fine, but I hate to pump gas. When I’m out of NJ and have to do that, I have a problem.

First, the handle is always dirty and when I’m done my hands smell like gas even if I didn’t spill any. Not to mention the gas that’s already on the ground from other people spilling gas, which of course gets on my shoes.

In addition, the hose is dirty and greasy as well, and I usually end up brushing it against my clothes at least once. Fortunately, when I have to pump gas I am on vacation, but don’t people in the no-service states arrive at work smelling like a refinery on the days their cars need refilling?

And to top it off, I am a real klutz. I drop things all the time. If I drop a plate or glass at home, I just clean it up, but if I mishandle the gas pump there is fuel all over everything.

I got worried when, driving through Maine on the way to Boston (and close to Kennebunkport, no less), I checked my tire pressure. It was fine. The worrisome part was what the (adult) clerk said to me:

“Wow, you check your own pressure? I’ve never seen anyone do that before! You sure take good care of your car!”

I refuse to go to stations that have that pay first bullshit. How the hell am I supposed to know exactly how much gas it will take?

** mblackwell ** Just a suggestion here. Don’t ever drive into Southern California it will be an awfully long push from the time you run out of gas, until you get to a station that does not require payment up front.
If you are using cash you give them more that what you think it will take to fill your car. When done go get your change.
If using credit, either pay at the pump or give card to guy behind counter. When done either collect recipt from pump (PAP) or go inside to get recipt.

I’m pretty sure that people who hate to pump gas are not a protected class under the Americans With Disability Act, which is rather more what I was inquiring about. I’m not interested in hearing about people who can drive and prefer not to pump their own gas (I’m guessing if it weren’t for price differentials, that would be most of us), I’m interested in hearing about people who can drive and yet can not, due to their disability, pump their own gas.

Marine_One, here are the Legislative findings and declarations for Oregon Title 38, Section 480.315. IOW, this is Oregon’s official explanation of why you aren’t allowed to pump your own gas:

Apparently you New Jersians are a bunch of slobs if you manage to spill gasoline all over your clothes and hands when pumping gas, 'cause I’ve never done it in the 20+ years that I’ve been pumping my own gas.:rolleyes:

Mister [color=“black”]Payton’s Servant, people from New Jersey have not been given the opportunity to know the unmitigated joys of pumping one’s own gas therefore they never have had the opportunity to spill gasoline all over their person. IHBT, IHL, HAND.
An amusing aside, the first time I drove long distance outside of New Jersey I pulled off to a nearby gas station in Virginia and sat in the car for three minutes before I realized that it was self-serve. It’s not that hard and a minor inconvenience to pump one’s own gas. Plus you never get any of those annoying, probing questions like “Why do you need five containers full of gasoline and what’s that noise coming from your trunk” when you pump your own.[/color]

Well, gee, sorry about that. I guess you’re just special and better than the rest of us.
How do you keep the gunk that’s already ON the pump (and the hose) from getting on your hands and clothes? By the way, it’s spelled “Jersey,” not “Jersi.”

After reading the “reasons” for having the law, I see that Oregon doesn’t want “customers” to slip on wet pavement or inhale the gasoline fumes…but it’s perfectly ok for employees to?? Sounds kind of silly to include those items as “reasons” for having the law. And since another “reason” is that it’s dangerous for pregnant women, does that mean pregnant women aren’t allowed to work at gas stations?

It’s not rocket science, for god’s sake, it’s pumping gas. You put the nozzle in the gas tank, and you pull the appropriate trigger. Most gas stations are covered(around here, anyway), and it’s pretty easy not to spill gas if you are paying attention.

That and I have a hard time paying people who don’t trust me enough to pump my own gas, so I make sure I have enough gas to get back to Washington whenever I cross the border. So far, I’ve been lucky enough never to have to buy gas “Oregon Style”.

I almost always pump my own gas.

My hands remain clean. I don’t spill gas over my clothes. I don’t smell like a refinery when I’m done. It’s not a big deal.

Remind me not to go to a buffet with you people, mmmkay? :slight_smile:

What the hell is this gunk that’s already ON the pump (and the hose) that you refer to? :confused: :confused: I’ve never had to go and wash my hands because the pump or the hose was filthy.

But perhaps you New Jerseyians do vile and unnatural things with your gas pumps.:dubious:

I have a couple of serious questions, if we can rise above insults.
Situation: Only self-serve available. No pay at the pump, or you need to pay cash.

You have a baby asleep in the car. Do you leave the baby alone in the car? Or do you wake her up and carry her in with you?
If the former, if it’s very hot outside, do you lock her in the car with the engine running and the a.c. on, or what?
If the latter, what do you do if you have more than one small child? Carry them both?

Or do you just have to be really careful not to be a woman alone with children and be low on gas?

However you work it out, if you leave the kids in the car while you pay, you are committing child abuse under Oregon law. Another fine reason for full-service stations!