Organic Farmers

Fuck you, you bunch of granola crunching, Berkenstock (ya know, I don’t even care if I didn’t spell it right. Fuck you!) wearing, ass felching, hippie throw backs!. Take your goddamned ladybugs and cram em. All summer long I gotta deal with these fucking ladybugs the dumbass Indiana organic fuckheads brought in and lost control of. It’s bad enough that I can’t step outside without being swarmed (and I do mean swarmed), but now that it’s winter I have to deal with them inside my house. I swear to God if I ever meat the stupid sumbitch that thought it was a good idea to bring these in…

I mean, for Christ’s sake! Didn’t these bozos ever read the story of the Kingdom with the mouse problem? I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. Ad infinitum.

“We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.”

Robert Wilensky

On a related note…

Did anyone see 20/20 the other night? I only caught part of it, but they were saying that organic food is not any healthier than ‘regular’ produce, and may in fact be worse for you. Since this is the Pit, I don’t have to cite any other sources! So don’t ask!

The most rewarding part was when I got my money!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Wow, I have a bunch of ladybugs in my house, too. It never occured to me that they might have come from the farms. I couldn’t figure out where they came from. Aren’t they cute? I’ve collected them from where ever I found them in the house and put them in my houseplants so that they wouldn’t go hungry and die. I know that they eat aphids and that my houseplants don’t have bugs, but I thought that they’d at least have a fighting chance if they were in a plant.

Princess of the Time and Space Continuum since 1969 (upgraded to Goddess 01/07/00)

Senior S.S.D.A., SDMB Self-Righteous Clique =^…^=

Ugh. I still have nightmares about ladybugs from college. My fiance’s room was infested with literally hundreds of the little critters. His roommate used to shoo them up to the ceiling with a broom and then fry them with the halogen torchiere. Pretty freakin’ nasty!

Squee,

If you take the deadly pesticides and fertilizers out of the picture, I can almost see organic produce being no healthier than ‘regular’ produce, as far as vitamins go. But, how did they justify the worse for you? That doesn’t seem to make sense to me. (Source citing not necessary - I just want to know what they said)

Minxmom, I admittedly just watched the end of John Stossel’s(sp?) report. These were his conclusions and I’m not sure how he came to them. Sorry, I don’t watch the show on a regular basis, and just happened by this bit of information from channel surfing. I’ll check the ABC website, and see if I can find a link to post.

-Dr. Nick Riviera

I dunno about “more dangerous” as a whole.

You are, however far more likely to get one of the E. Coli strains, since untreated shit is used as a fertilizer. I’ll see if I can dig up a link to a U.K. news I read a while back.

“A bird in the hand is the Devil’s workshop; it is the goose that laid the bad apple.” - TennHippie

Hey, that was way too easy.
http://www.junkscience.com/aug99/foodsurv.htm

UncleBeer, that’s a good link. Maybe that’s why beer is my favorite food group!

Here is the 20/20 link…

http://more.abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_000204_stossel_organic_feature.html

Sorry to veer from your rant, Squid… to those who hate ladybugs, carry on…

-Dr. Nick Riviera

<font color=“red” size="4"Ooh! Ooh! Send your ladybugs to me!</font>

“If anybody wants a sheep, that is proof that he exists.”

Concerning the 20/20 segment on organic produce:

I watched the segment and a summary of the arguments advanced are these:

• Organic-grown produce costs 200%+ more than non-organic produce (no argument there)

• Organic produce is no more nutritional than non-organic produce (no one denied it)

• Organic produce is more likely to contain bacteria than non-organic produce (because of the often improperly prepared cow manure that is used for fertilizer)

• Organic produce farming is more harmful to the environment than non-organic produce farming (because it takes much, much more land to produce the same crop)

One “expert” claimed that there have been 0 deaths recorded from eating non-organic produce as opposed to 5,000 deaths recorded from the comsumption of organic produce.

The conclusion drawn:

If you choose to spend a lot more money buying organic produce (for the same nutrional value as non-organic produce), be sure to wash it thoroughly before eating and don’t delude yourself into thinking that you are saving the planet.

Krispy Original – The original SDMB bad boy

Organic produce isnt laden down with pesticides, which the spreading of which is leading to certain pests becoming immune to the chemicals.

And someone who dosent wash their fruit and vegtables in the first place is asking for trouble, (organic or inorganic).

J

“Cast a cold Eye, On Life, On Death, Horseman, ride by”
W.B. Yeats

My original rant wasn’t meant to denegrate the virtues of organic farming per se. If those guys want to waste time growing crops organically on land worth 3-5 thousand dollars an acre, fine by me. However, in their zeal to compete with mainstream farming, I think they had a major brain fart with the ladybugs. These ladybugs aren’t even the normal red and black "cute’ ladybugs. I’m not really sure they are ladybugs. They might be imported from fucking Mars for all I know. They look like ladybugs, only they are orange and black, and they bite. Yes folks, they bite. They are like some sorta South American killer ladybugs. Personally, given a choice, I’ll take a little pesticides in my well water. I’m beginning to develope a real liking to Basatran.

yeah right! Cute like cockroaches. At least my 6 year old daughter never ran in from playing outside crying,“Dad! A pretty little cockroach just bit me”.

“We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.”

Robert Wilensky

As someone whose house is infested with the damn things all winter, Squid Vicious, I still prefer the ladybugs to wasps, flies and cockroaches.

The Coyote gnaws …
but he does not swallow.

I would be interested to hear whether there is any evidence that organic produce spoils faster than the regular kind. I knew a woman at work whose SO operated an organic farm. She used to bring us suplus veggies. I noticed that the small red new potatoes he grew rotted really fast, whereas I can keep a bag from the grocery store fresh almost indefinitely.

Careful with that axe, Eugene.