Origin of "yipes stripes"

Obviously this is a variation on “yikes,” itself a variation on “yoicks” if one believes Merriam-Webster.

But somewhere along the way, a writer came up with this rhyming pair, and it caught on. I’d like to know when and where.

It’s the name of a song in the MST3K episode “Teenage Strangler” (1968), so it’s at least that old.

This is a question with a factual answer (or at least something approaching one) rather than something about the arts. It would fit better in General Questions, so I’ll move it over there for you.

TVeblen

Well, hell. Maybe it is arty. Where the hell is Ike when he’s needed, hmmm?

Offically confused,
Veb

I recall an old commercial for “Fruit Stripe Gum,” where the jingle was “Yipes stripes.” This was the mid-to-late '80s. Don’t ask me why I remember that, since my mom didn’t even allow us to chew gum.

Wow. It blows me away that this seems to be common knowledge, because I’ve never heard the term “yipes stripes” in my life.

IIRC, Beech Nut and earlier than the 80’s if I’m not mistaken.

“Yipes! Stripes! New Beech Nut Fruit Stripe Gum!” was an ad jingle from the early to mid '60s, sung by a cartoon zebra.

This was back when a pack of gum ws five cents.

I don’t remember the year (I’m thinking 70s, perhaps earlier), but I do remember the ad and the music:

Yipes! Stripes!
Beechnut’s got 'em.
Yipes! Stripes!
It’s fruit-striped gum! (or Fruit Stripe, not sure)
Yipes! Stripes!
Five different flavors!
Get Beechnut Fruit Stripe gum!

A quick Google shows that it’s been included on a DVD of shows from the early 60s, so maybe it’s older than I thought.

I recall the Fruit Stripes gum (with the “Yipes Stripes!” expression) from the 1960s, so I’ll confirm Thyristor’s finding.

To tell the truth, I don’t recall it as a song, though, but Ican easily be wrong.

Biffy and I are running parallel memories. It had to be during the period when I could wrestle the TV away from my older sisters, but before we got color, so I’d bet somewhere between 1961-1965.

Definitely from the 60s. And the phrase is almost certainly from the commercial.