Other Union/anti-slavery monuments south of the Mason-Dixon?

Treue der Union in Comfort, Texas is billed as the only Union monument south of the Mason-Dixon. Are there any others? How about pre-war abolitionist monuments?

The Mason-Dixon line separates Pennsylvania from Maryland. I happen to know that there are plenty of Union monuments in Maryland, particularly at the Antietam battle site. I expect there are Union monuments at other battle sites south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Here’s one at Vicksburg, with links to several more there. http://www.nps.gov/vick/nh/nh_stm.htm

Wow, leave it to me to not only forget that the states didn’t divide along the Mason-Dixon, but that the war was fought in the South! I do too have a brain, sometimes I even use it!

There are monuments to freed black Union soldiers and to Lincoln himself in Washington, which is decidedly south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Former Virginia governor L. Douglas Wilder is attempting to build a National Slavery Museum near the battlefield at Fredericksburg, VA. However, he faces stiff opposition and I’m not sure how successful he will be.

Franklin County, VA is home to the Booker T. Washington National Monument, which is at least an indirect nod to the issue of slavery and its aftermath.

Recently, the beautiful city of Savannah, GA unveiled its first monument to African-Americans. It includes a hard-hitting inscription penned by writer Maya Angelou.

So long as this thread is more or less alive, are there any other monuments erected by Southerners who lived through the war in honor of Union efforts? The ones mentioned above were either financed by Union citizens or were erected decades after the fact.

Sorry for restating the OP like this, but it would be nice to determine the relative uniqueness of the monument. Yes, family is involved.

If, by “Southerners” or “south of the Mason-Dixon” you’re willing to include Missouri, then I can think of several monuments in St. Louis that qualify. There’s a Lyon park with a monument to Union General Nathaniel Lyon that’s literally in the shadow of the Anheiser-Busch brewery. Lyon was involved in an infamous Camp Jackson “massacre” that captured many pro-southern (but not strictly Confederate) soldiers, and ended up killing many civilians. And there’s an equestrian statue to Union General Franz Sigel in Forest park. Missouri, as you may know, was a slave state that stayed in the Union, but had many Southern sympathizers. These probably don’t fit what you’re looking for.

Now, here in the deep south, I thought of the story of the “Free State of Winston”, a county in Alabama that had significant pro-union sentiment. Try
this link for some information. Maybe this barn is something you’re looking for (but hardly a monument, nor really commemorating the Union).

I did find a photo of this statue in Double Springs, Alabama, which seems to commerate both Union and Confederate soldiers. Unfortunately, the link doesn’t give you much information, but you may be able to google some more.

There is an old Civil War barracks in Wilmington, CA called the Drum Barracks that is still around.

Not that California did much for the Union in the Civil War except to add moral support. And much of Southern California was sympathetic to the Confederacy.

And hardly anyone lived in Southern California either.