ouch! ATI video card problems part deux

Problem: monitor abruptly stops displaying a signal. Monitor seems to be fine and seems to be on, and rebooting gets the display back. Seems to be video card issue. Windows has twice now notified me when it came back onthat there was a drive issue.

Bad catalyst drivers? Is ATI’s curse returning?

I think I’ve found out something of what’s causing my monitor to stop displaying a signal. Even uninstalling the video drivers and running the Catalyst uninstaller won’t work, because it looks like windows has grabbed a copy of drivers. Ordinarily this would be a good thing, but in this case it causes a lot of problems, since it keeps automatically reinstalling the latrest catalyst drivers which keep causing my video card to stop responding. It just blacks out like its resetting the screen resolution, but never comes back on.

How can I delete the saved copies of the drivers in windows? IE, where, exactly is the Windows XP driver files kept?

Also, I’m getting the Radeon 9600 showing up twice in my device manager. This is probably not supposed to happen. How can I get rid of this problem?

Does anyone have any other suggestions besides “go get an Nvidia?!” I do have a ghost file of my PC in a pristine clean state, but for obvious reasons I don’t want to use it.

Stats:
Athlon XP 1.66 Ghz
512 MB RAM
WinXP
Radeon 9600se 128MB

This happened to me after I installed Catalyst. They are correct in suggesting that you shouldn’t install them unless there is a serious problem on your machine already. Because all it did for me is mess things up.

I read a few other message board threads about the problem and no one had a concrete answer. I tried one thing that I thought would help - flashing my BIOS. Didn’t help.

Rolling back the drivers didn’t seem to work at all.

The only way I could fix this was to go back to a Windows XP restore point from before I’d installed the new drivers. Cleared it right up.

BTW I have a Radeon 7500.

Well, I’ll give it a shot. 2 months ought to do it.

The two display adapters in device manager is okay if your video card has two outputs (VGA and DVI). The secondary adapter lets you plug in another monitor and extend your desktop.

ATI has a Catalyst uninstaller that will clean everything ATI related from your system. Sorry I don’t have a link but it should be on their site in the drivers section.

Sorry for the double post… ATI’s Catalyst uninstaller can be found at http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

This is a heck of a coincidence. I just experienced this problem for the first time yesterday.

My problem is that this is a one month old, self-built computer with a 9600XT that was installed with the then current Catalyst drivers. I can’t roll back to a previous restore point. If I use the Catalyst uninstall util, what other drivers should I use?