Need help installing a new video card

I have a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 with an ATI Radeon 9800XT video card. I recently purchased a Dell E207WFP 20" LCD monitor. However, shortly after installing the monitor I began to see hash and static in the display. I reformatted, but the problems persisted and now my monitor is stuck in Power Save Mode and I can’t even get it to stay on. So, I’m trying to install a new video card (ATI Radeon HD 3850), but I can’t uninstall my old drivers and video card because the monitor is stuck in power save mode. What should I do now?

First, you may need to make sure that the monitor is switched to the right “channel” depending on the connection, either digital or analog. If the card outputs are different, it may be as simple as pushing a button on the monitor. Also, check everything else. If possible, try plugging the monitor into a different computer and swap cables to make sure your cable is good.

That’s what I got for starters.

The monitor is fine, I tried it out on another PC with no problems. Also, I’ve tried connecting with both the analog and digital cables, but either way it goes straight to power save mode on the computer with the bad video card… or what I’m assuming is a bad video card.

Does your mobo have a built in video adapter? If so, you can try using that.

If not, that’s ok.

Turn the PC off, remove the old card, install the new one. load into safe mode and uninstall the old drivers, then reboot.

Once back in windows (and at this point your video card should be working right), go to the ATI website and download the latest drivers. Install them and reboot.

I had to do that once when I got a bad card from newegg.