Overly strict modding

I don’t recall seeing the bridge post while the thread was open. Saintly_Loser’s post was taking the thread off-very narrow topic on the first reply.

But when I looked at the Bridge/chess post later, my quick gut reaction was it wasn’t going to take the thread off topic anyway.

We miss a lot of posts that don’t get flagged. On a thread like the one in question though, it is hard to miss the first one when I was adding the Staff Notice as it posted.

I disagree, obviously. I posted about a very similar (pretty much identical, in fact) issue arising in a somewhat different setting (women’s colleges, although it’s entirely possible that the exact same situation has come up there too, since women’s colleges do have athletic programs).

How similar situations have been handled in the past (whether handled well or badly) seems very much on topic.

But you’re the mod, and you get to define what “narrow” means in this context. If it means “so circumscribed that a human hair couldn’t pass through it,” then so be it.