Overrated food and drink (brands)

Yep. People wants whats they can’t has.

Most people I know, including myself, were like “What the hell is so special about this pig slop” the first time we got our hands on a Coors.

Yeah. When I was in college and told people that I didn’t care for beer, they told me that it was because I hadn’t had any GOOD beer, and what I needed was a Coors. I was in Masachusetts and at the time Coors wasn’t distributed east of the Mississippi. You could occasionally get one from someone who’d brought some back from Colorado or somewhere, sometimes as a result of a special Beer Run.

Now you can get it here anytime. I’ve tried it, and I still don’t like beer.

Change “pig slop” to “grease bomb” and that was my reaction to my first Krispy Kreme doughnut.

As far as beer, I swear I remember a thread here about posers/pretentious people, and one poster who was from Ireland talking about his friend who was a poser because he would ostentatiously bring Miller Genuine Draft to parties. I had to ask why an Irishman would go out of his way to drink American piss, and why he thought it would impress anyone. “He thinks it makes him look gangsta,” was the reply. “Oh. Well, if it’s what he likes.” “He doesn’t! He winces every time he takes a sip. So much for ‘gangsta’.”

In 1974, we were living in a state in which Coor’s was not available and was the stuff of legend. We went to a party. A couple of guys arrived with a case of Coor’s, which they had driven hundreds of miles to acquire. A big hubbub ensued. Everyone got about a thimble full. People acted as if it was champagne.

We thought “It’s just beer!” Not worth driving 600 miles round trip for.

Same for me about In-N-Out burger, it’s just meat and a bun.

Before the big increase in craft beers, Coors was pretty good- if it had been properly shipped and stored. See, if you let a beer get hot , it gets skunky fast. Coors was supposed to be shipped and stored COLD. Now, when someones buddies brought a case back, rattling around in their warm trunk, it had been mistreated, and no longer special.

See?

Even today, Coors is a nice refreshing beer on a hot day. But sure, many beers taste better.

But look at the other best selling beers- Busch, Miller Lite, Corona, Michelob, and Bud. I dont think any of those are any better than Coors. (I prefer Pacifico to Coors for that type of refreshing hot day beer).

I loved them hot stright off the line. They were fantastic then. Otherwise- not so much.

Oh no. The meat is fresh, the bun is fresh and toaster, then there’s the fresh add-ons, the sliced tomato, the lettuce, etc. It’s the perfect amalgam.

I remember Coors becoming an in thing in the 70s. Some bars would get hold of a few cases and put up hand made signs saying they had it. They would then sell it for twice the price of Bud, and sell out because everyone wanted to try this beer that everyone west of the Mississippi was bragging about. Mostly I remember guys that realized they’d been swindled. I don’t really like beer but IMHO Coors does not taste any better than Bud.

Now, which movie about Coors beer couldn’t be made today?

I know there was one about smuggling coors.

Yeah, they’re underbaked, so they’re more “tender.” If you get them immediately after they’re baked, they’re adequate. Not counting the achingly sweet glaze. But allowed to cool they’re nasty.

There’s a word vital to the English language that I invented some years back (I think). It’s “nasty,” but it’s a homonym, with a long /a/ sound. Krispy Kreme is nasty, but only with the long /a/, because it’s also super delicious.

Nah, just plain old nasty. I can taste the rawness of the batter. And I hate the overly sweet glaze. Just a big nope from me. I can always pass them up…and have.

My last job used to get Krispy Kreme donuts pretty regularly, which was perceived by my co-workers as a big perk, and I just didn’t get it. They were just really, really sub-par donuts. Everyone told me that I had to have one fresh to really appreciate it, so I finally went to a store and got one fresh. And it was a really, really sub-par donut that was also warm.

I’m similarly puzzled by the fan base for Chipotle burritos. Especially in California. I could see being impressed with them if you’re from some place without access to good Mexican food, like… I dunno, Minnesota or something, but if you’re eating Chipotle in California, you almost by definition had to drive past three or four objectively superior taquerias to get there.

Agree with all of the above. The quality of Dunkin has gone down for several reasons but it is still far superior to KK. Of course a good bakery is superior to either. Chipotle is awful. We have four superior places to get burritos in the area and this is NJ not Cali.

I went to a Chipotle before I knew they were a chain (I hadn’t seen any advertising for them). Not only was the food mediocre (borderline bad), but the vibe of the physical store was dark and creepy. I felt like I was lining up for chow in some dystopic prison.

Oh, my god, you’ve got to be kidding me. The last Dunkin I had a faint but distinct rancid taste, like it had been fried in oil that hadn’t been changed in a couple of years. I’m not a huge fan of Krispy Kreme, but I’ll take 'em over DD any day.

Oddly enough, the best chain doughnuts I’ve found are from QT, of all places.

I understand from others that the problem with Krispy Kreme donuts is the coffee. There’s a reason we have a Dunkin on every street corner here in RI and it ain’t the donuts.

I think Dunkin Donuts used to be better; decades ago, they were actually made at each local store. (Remember the “Time to make the donuts” commercials?) Now, they’re made centrally and shipped out to the stores. Quality may have suffered, though I haven’t eaten one in decades so I can’t say.

Taste is subjective. But I call BS.

My first Coors was in 1976 in Vail. It tasted like every other piss yellow corn water beer at the time. But with an extra funny musty taste to it.

And it came in a weird can that had a tiny little hole indentation opposite the pull tab. In the old days a church key opener was used to create that hole for a smooth pour. That little thing was difficult to push in with a finger and you ended up using a church key anyway.

That’s right! A few years ago, I went to DD and one of the varieties I wanted was sold out. I said, “Well, when’s the next batch coming out? I could come back.” Was told there was no next batch; no ovens on premises. Darn it.

Oh, and I agree with Lucas_Jackson about In-N-Out. I don’t even like the fries that much when they’re hot, and then they turn into plaster of Paris in about five minutes. And the last time I went to an In-N-Out, the patty on my burger was torn. When I bit into it, half of it flopped over and my pickles fell out.

Well, since pretty much all you had at that time was American lagers, what was better? And if the Coors tasty musty, that means someone left it out in the heat, and ruined it.

A lot of In & Out Fans dont like the fires either.