Seems to me there is a lot of pagan bashing going on here.
Well, let me tell you, I was introduced to paganism by my dignified teacher mother, a slightly lapsed Methodist. Whenever a bureaucratic form asked for religion, back in the days when still asked that stuff, she always wrote down “Druid”.
If challenged, she icily informed the poor slob that the question was rude. It was a formative moment for me.
Okay, I"m not an affiliated or even very informed pagan, but I’ve found it fills many needs:
- There are no committees, conclaves, arguing, nitpicking and disapproving of everyone else.
- If someone wants to worship the sun, trees, animal spirits or whatever, it’s cool with me. I like that stuff. Fine.
- It presents kind opportunities to turn grilling a chicken and popping a good wine into the celebration of life it should be.
- If folks thinkthey can cast spells and summon demons, fine with me. Keeps them busy. I prefer poker and Scrabble, but hey, go for it.
- I don’t have to worry about the state of other people’s souls. Mine is enough of a challenge.
Well, it’s a simple faith that serves my simple needs. Don’t like pagans? PTUI, I spit. I’d get upset over it, but enjoying my glass of wine somehow seems more productive.