Panned Movies that You Actually Like

I’m sure this has been done before, but of course it can’t hurt to re-hash this from time to time.

What are some movies that were panned by critics and/or tanked at the box office that you actually liked?

I’ll start.

1. Captain Ron. Not Kurt Russell’s best work, and by all accounts it’s a somewhat boring comedy that’s not terribly funny. BUT, I empathize with the characters and vicariously enjoy myself as they tool around in the Caribbean. It’s upbeat and fun, and I always catch myself smiling at the end.

2. Joe Versus the Volcano. No, I’m not one of those JVtV cultists out there who finds unfathomable depth and meaning in its script. But I always thought it had some hilarious lines (“I’m not arguing that with you!” “You have a brain cloud.” “I have no response to that.”) and a fun plot. I mean, here’s this hypochondriac shlub in a boring job who [SPOILERS AHEAD] gets conned into going off to some deserted tropical island in Polynesia to die and winds up finding hope and love. Can you relate?

3. Scooby-Doo. What can I say? The live actors totally captured the spirit of the animated characters, especially Shaggy and Velma. The plot was kind of stupid, but all of us who grew up in the 70’s and 80’s watching Scooby-Doo have to admit that, in retrospect, the cartoon was pretty stupid, too. Which is why I think the campy plot was appropriate. That, and the movie has one of the funniest bits of dialogue ever.

SHAGGY (to GIRL): So, like, what’s your name?

GIRL: Mary Jane. :slight_smile:

SHAGGY: :eek: :smiley: That’s, like, my favorite name!

So, what are some of your favorite bad movies? C’mon, don’t be ashamed!

Oh my god. I can’t even say it. It’s just too embarassing.
I am never coming back to this thread. So I won’t see all the horrible derogatory things you all are going to say to me.

Swept Away

=====zoom!

I liked Death to Smoochy.

No, really.

I thought Kung Pow: Enter the Fist was hilarious, generally for all the reasons everyone else hated it.

Though I lothed this movie with every fibre of my being I agree that Matthew Lillard and the girl who played Velma did great jobs.

Freddy Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar succeeded in capturing the essence of Freddy Prize Jr. and Sarah Michelled Gellar trying and failing to play Dapne and Fred convincingly.

I thought Death to Smoochy was pretty darn fun.

I liked Final Fantasy. No, really, I did.

I also have an unhealthly love for Bedazzled (the newer version with Brendan Fraser). I find I must watch it each and every time I run across it on TV.

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?:o

I thought “Death To Smoochy” had some poor, poor elements, but, as a whole, I liked it.

I LOVED “Stuart Saves His Family.” It is by far, including “Blues Brothers” and “Wayne’s World” (ick), my favorite SNL-related film. Al Franken, who I can usually take or leave, does a pitch-perfect version of some people I have known in the past, which is possibly why I like it so much. Vincent D’Onofrio is great, the whole movie is superlative.

My comedy tastes differ from the norm, tho… I HATE HATE HATED “Meet The Parents” and “Analyze This,” which everyone on Earth loved…

hrh

I LOVED Ishtar. I thought it was hilarious. Sure, it tanked; sure, it’s less than stellar work from stellar actors. But at least it’s fun.

“Who told you stones glow in the dark?”
“Who told you there’s no wind in the desert?”

And I think I’ll have to second Bedazzled. It’s not great, but it’s slightly amusing and it has Elizabeth Hurly in skimpy clothing, which will brighten any movie.

Another Brendan Fraser bomb, which I also love, is Monkeybone. If nothing else, it has Chris Kattan running around with organs falling out. Amusing.

–greenphan

Maybe us Death to Smoochy fans should start an exclusive club or something?

All 10 of us, apparently.

I’ll second Scooby Doo.

I liked the cartoon and the movie was probably the best that was going to happen being live action.
I’m also one of the only two people who liked Daylight.

This is one of my mom’s alltime favorite movies…but that probably has to do more with her lifetime crush on Kurt Russell.

As for me? I liked Cabin Boy. I didn’t love it, but I liked it. It was so surreal and absurd. I wrote a vigorous defense for it on the imdb comments for the movie. Best lines:

Nathaniel: “I love sitting up here, looking at those bright, twinkly things in the sky…I forget their technical name.”
Trina: “Stars.”
Nathaniel: “Whatever.”

Nathaniel: “I’m sorry, I was just thinking how much fun it is to roast pumpkin seeds.”

I dunno, I just find something funny about a string of quirky non sequiturs. To each his own.

I like David Duchovny’s Playing God.

There, I said it. Tear me apart if you wish, but I still hold to it.

I love Hudson Hawk. I think it’s hilarious and clever, I have no idea why everyone hates it so much, and why critics just about wet themselves in their rush to pan it.

The Robin Williams thread made me think of this one:

Popeye

I love this movie! I think it captures the spirit of the cartoons as well as a live-action feature-length movie could while still having a plot. The actors were well-cast, the island village (Sweethaven) was perfect. I even liked the songs! Lots of funny little gags, too. (the picture of “Me Pappy”) I’m going to check right now to see if it’s out on DVD…

So, nobody’s going to go first. Fine. The Last Action Hero. I think it ended the period nicely.

It also stole my ability to code, but I think that’s a price worth paying.

I second Last Action Hero

I second that emotion!

I’ll fifth Death to Smoochy… I’m an Edward Norton fanboy.