Patron Saint of the Internet?

From The Times of London today:

Were Tuba Diva or Lynn Bodoni even finalists?!?

Who the hell ever heard of St. Isodore?

On the other hand, everyone has heard of Lynn, Tuba, TVBlen, Coldfire, manhattan, Chronos, Arnold, Czarcasm, Euty, John Corrado, Alphagene, CDEXHaven and Clairmont.

Well, maybe not Coldfire.

<waving hand forlornly>

From this site, quoted without permission but I’m sure they wouldn’t mind me borrowing two sentences if quoting them enlightens somebody.

“One day his fellow-labourers complained to their master that Isidore was always late for work in the morning. Upon investigation, so runs the legend, the master found Isidore at prayer, while an angel was doing the ploughing for him.”

My kinda saint and an inspriration to anybody who’d rather be online when they are supposed to be working.

Is it me or should Wally have been at the top of the list?

DropZone – you have the wrong St. Isidore. The one to whom you refer is St. Isidore the Laborer, who lived in the 12th Century. Not that he wasn’t cool – his master reported seeing him plough between two angels equipped with ploughs, so that he could do the work of three.

But “our” saint is St. Isidore of Seville, a 7th Century gatherer of information. One reference says that he’s already the patron of computer techs, computer users and the Internet:
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/sainti04.htm

I’d seen the same report posted elsewhere today and inadvertently started a new thread on General Questions.

And there I was thinking my shrine to St. T1 Lan Connection was paying dividends…

Well, I seem to recall that ol’ Izzy wrote a book of Latin etymologies. Most of the information therein was, shall we say, of dubious accuracy.

Seems appropriate.

And here I thought this was a thread about Al Gore…

No, THEY have the wrong Isidore. Mine is a deadass who would rather sit in a dark room than work, ignored his supervisor, and wasn’t getting any even though he was married. Definite internet surfer material. AND is the patron saint of Seville.

The one they REALLY chose wrote documentation, which should have eliminated him right away, although “initially a poor student” is a good sign.

Who the hell does that Pope think he is? I didn’t get a call about cannonizing Isidore. Feh. Popes. They think they’re closer to God or something.

Stay where you are, Swiddles, you wouldn’t like it anyway. You’re on call like 24/7, you don’t get paid mileage but you have to travel anywhere in the world when some joker invokes you, and when the ‘vision’ is over, they don’t even bother to rewind.