Pearl Harbor day

Tomorrow is Pearl Harbor day. As usual, I will drive to and from work in my Mazda, work for my strict Asian-American boss, then go home, listen to my Aiwa stereo, and watch my Sony TV. Sometimes I wonder who won the war.

Reminds me of that South Park episode about Pokemon. That was funny. Did you see that?

Tomorrow might be “Pearl Harbor Day,” but last Friday was “Pearl Harbor weather” here in SC–that is, “a nip in the air.” :slight_smile:

Anybody know if there is any truth to the story that Mitsubishi is planning to market a pick-up named “Zero”?

I wonder if Detroit has plans, yet, for a “Ford Enola Gay” or a “Chevy Manzanar”!

Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.

I shall go to Mass in the chapel. I know that nothing like the sneak attack at Pearl Harbor will ever happen to the Navy again. Especially if I have something to say about it.

I thought that was their long-term projected revenues…

I heard that when Daimler-Benz and Chrysler merged they were going to come out with a new car called the Plymouth Fuhrer, powered by a V-2 engine. :slight_smile:

Let’s see…December 7. Yep, Pearl Harbor. 7:55 a.m. There is folklore that Franklin Roosevelt knew about this in advance. Anyone talked to their neighborhood conspiracy theorist about this?
1963–First time instant replay used in football. CBS-TV at the Army-Navy game.
1968–The world’s longest overdue book was returned to the Cincinnati Medical Library.
The overdue fine (for 145 years) was $27,000, but the fine was forgiven.
1972–Apollo 17 blasts off from Cape Canaveral sending the last man to the moon (Flight Commander Eugene Cernan).
1982–Convicted murderer Charlie Brooks, Jr., becomes the first US prisoner to be executed by injection (where else? Texas).
1804–The shortest president in U.S. history chosen by the Electoral College–James Madison.

Oh c’mon now, every knows that the Fuhrer has only a V-1.
Hitler has only got one ball.
Goering has two, but very small.
Himmler is very sim’lar
And Goebbels has no balls at all.

The early bird gets the worm but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese.

HA! HA! HA! HA! Down there in South Carolina, do you good ol’ boys get your floors Latino clean–you know, “spic” and span? When you watch reruns of Davey Crockett, do you wear African American headgear–you know, “coonskin caps”?

Boy howdy, Southern humor–can’t get 'nuff of it.

Shit.

DHR

ChiefScott

Keep up the good work Chief.

My dad was on board the Raleigh anchored at Ford island when he and his bunkmates were rolled out by the first bombs that Sunday morning. He said they all thought they’d been rammed until the alarms sounded. They took a shot that grounded them while they watched the Utah and the Arizona go down.

A lot of folks didn’t make it home like my dad did. As much as I hope it isn’t needed, I’m glad there are folks who are willing to help make sure it won’t happen again.

Ugly

DHR:

Nope. I’ve never heard the word “spic” in these parts outside of TV.

And, also other than TV, coons are always the four-legged variety–not that there aren’t numerous other “colorful” terms for what you implied.

And as to the lead-off, hey, they named their country “Nippon,” not I.

Chief, Thanks to you and all those that serve with you.

My hats off to all who serve the US every day.

May we always remember those who have died to keep us free.

Jeffery

Chief, I think those of use who still mark this as a solemn occasion are in the minority. I have a sense of humor too, but sometimes it needs to be put away. It wasn’t our finest hour but the sailors who died that day were like you in some ways, the peacetime defenders who are often overlooked. Lots of people want to get involved when there is glory attached to it but far fewer want to endure the long and boring cruises we’ve both been through.

Have you had a chance to go Pearl Harbor Chief? I was there four times when I was on my sea tour and it was very emotional every time. Pulling in on a flattop makes one think how it must have felt to return to a see the destruction they avoided.

CNN.com has an article about identifying some of the unkown remains from the U.S.S. Arizona. http://www.cnn.com/1999/US/12/07/pearl.harbor.identification.ap/index.html