Last night I went to Chili’s with friends. It was pretty late and the server was very scarce all night. As we were talking, I noticed a smell reminiscent of overdone campfire marshmallows, and my dining companions directed my attention to the folks sitting behind me. They’d gotten fajitas, which come on a hot iron skillet, with a little mitt-like thing over the handle. Their mitt had caught fire, and was now smoldering robustly.
Their reaction? To hold the smoking mitt out in the aisle, trying to catch the attention of some staff person.
My friend said, “dunk it in a drink, or stamp on it,” and when no action was forthcoming, went to get a glass of water to put it out.
I got up, took the mitt, put it on the floor, and stood on it for about 20 seconds. Problem solved.
What is wrong with people? One wonders what level of danger would have caused them to act on their own, rather than vainly waiting for an “authority” to come handle it. These women were prime candidates for the Milgram experiment.