[QUOTE=DrDeth]
Yes, that was an American Newspaper. This is from an **Australian **College:
(Snip)
[/QUOTE]
Sydney and Melbourne are not the only inhabited places in Australia. A common mistake made by Americans, though. All your cites say are that if you’re dining in a 5 star restaurant in Sydney (or possibly Melbourne), then maybe a 10% tip, at the diner’s discretion, and only for excellent service, and even then, it would only be appreciated, not de rigeur.
In other words, for people outside Sydney (and, to a lesser extent, Melbourne), Tipping is not expected or (as a general rule) practiced, and even in those cities I’m willing to bet that tipping is only expected from people who flash their cash around- John and Sue Average having an anniversary dinner at The Rock Pool would not be expected to tip the waitstaff, for example.
We went through this in a previous tipping thread, DrDeth. You don’t live here, as far as I’m aware you’ve never even visited Australia, yet you keep trying to “prove” that we tip here. We live here, we know the customs, and we’ll thank you to stop trying to tell us how things supposedly are in a country you’ve never been to. The Aussies in the last thread told you the same thing, we’re telling you the same thing in this thread.
I don’t go into threads insisting everyone in the US owns a gun, for example- I don’t live there, I can’t speak authoritatively about firearm ownership rates there. I’ll thank you to exercise the same courtesy in relation to this particular discussion.
I agree with MelCthefirst- if you want to tip in the US, fine. But don’t try and make tipping an expected practice in places like Australia or NZ, especially when staff get paid perfectly well anyway. A waiter in Australia would earn a lot more than a waiter in the US, for example, at least on an hourly basis. They don’t need tips for doing the job they were hired to do in the first place.