[QUOTE=Sitnam]
As I’ve often said in defense of tipping, it’s an unspoken social contract. Therefore if you don’t tip, fine, say that to your server BEFORE you order. Then you’ll get the service you’re paying for.
[/QUOTE]
No offense Sitnam, but no you won’t. I’m a little tired of hearing this rational brought up in every tip thread. It’s bullshit.
You walk into a restaurant and tell the waiter “I’m not going to tip you, just so you know,” he’s going to say something like, “well, up to you.” Then you’re going to get perfectly decent service because if you don’t, the waiter is going to get fired, nine times out of ten. Very few restaurant owners will back up their employees for refusing to wait on a known non-tipper, and they sure as heck won’t back up an employee who gives crappy service to a non-tipper. You might be able to get away with somewhat perfunctory service but even then you’re probably risking your job if you don’t provide the extra-placatory and accommodating service Americans are accustomed to.
Never been to Australia, couldn’t tell you what the service is like there. But I can tell you what the service is like in Europe where they don’t tip. Perfunctory, is the word I used earlier. They do their job. Of course. But no more than their job and their job doesn’t involve making you feel good or enjoy yourself.
The argument in these threads is the service is no worse in countries where they don’t tip. Well no, it’s not worse but it is different.
Tipping isn’t expected in Germany, where I’ve lived. German waiters don’t haul ass. Never. I’ve never, ever seen waiters in Germany move at anything but a calm, relaxed snail’s pace. They do their job, they get their pay, and that’s it.
But near every American military base I’ve ever been there are some restaurants popular with, and frequented by Americans. All the food servers know Americans tip and they know Americans have a different standard of service they expect. Different, not “better.” It’s amazing. German waiters hauling ass. Why? Because Americans tip, that’s why. It’s an even sweeter deal for waiters in Germany because they already are getting a decent wage before the Americans leave lots of extra tax-free doughage on them.
I’ve been to these restaurants which were popular with both the Americans and the Germans and you could still tell the difference. Germans sit at their tables quietly waiting for a server to eventually appear, while the Americans get served everything twice as fast, and with a smile. Germans don’t tip, or not much, Americans do, even though they know they don’t have to, and they get better service. Oops, sorry. Didn’t mean to say “better.” I meant different.