[QUOTE=Count Blucher]
Reliving a bad memory dept:
When I was 7, I was helping my brother shovel snow at a neighbors for cash. I knew he supposedly got a decent amount for this customer, so I didn’t mind working hard. He did the driveway with the snowblower; I did the stairs, doorways, and walks by hand. At the end of the job, he got two envelopes; one for him & one for me. I opened mine at home and discovered three dimes. :eek: :eek: :eek:
I took another envelope from my father’s desk, shoved her envelope into it along with a hastily scrawled note on school notebook paper:
"Dear Mrs. insert name,
In good concience, I can’t take your 30 cents as I honestly feel I haven’t earned it.
Sincerely,
Count Blucher"
I stuffed it into her mail slot and went back home & about my day, poorer but wiser. Later, my mother angrily demanded I go over and take it back (How could she know? The bat phone(d)?). I took my beating and my punishment, but I wouldn’t go over and take it back.
Those neighbors never had nice things to say about me after that. Two years later, I was told that when they were on vacation, that the local GOP party abruptly convened and voted to kick the husband out as president. Lets just say I was hard pressed to feel sorry for them.
Well, maybe 30 cents worth… :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]
That’s some story - I’m quite impressed that you had the sense of self-worth, fortitude, and graciousness (not to make any sort of nasty remark about it) to do that at 7 years old. And I can’t believe your mother reprimanded you for it. If my child did that I would pat him on the back and give him $50!
Out of curiosity, how old was your brother and how much did they give him?