[QUOTE=DudleyGarrett]
This may work for you, but the last time I checked, I earn my salary; not you or anyone else. I can do whatever I please with my money. If being a critical tipper is an approach I take when spending that money, then that is my option. Frankly, I am too fucking tired of everyone else having their hands out, wanting something extra for nothing.
A tip to me is a kind gesture in appreciation for the manner in which business is conducted. If you do your job adequately, then you get an adequate tip – which is up to me, the customer, no one else.
[/QUOTE]
The problem with this is that wages of waitstaff are highly influenced by what is considered customary and appropriate tipping.
I am all for a no-tipping restaurant; however, those waitstaff would be paid appropriately. Accordingly, meals would be more expensive. (There are food venues that do not have tipping, such as fast food restaurants and other places with limited service.) Waitstaff is taxed based on expectations of tips, and are hired and work at jobs based on expectations of tips.
What non-tippers in a tipping society are essentially saying is that they enjoy the benefits of lower prices for food but that you reserve the right to not tip appropriately, regardless of the level of service. This is along the same lines as attempting to haggle after a service has been performed. You have the right to be angry if your food order was wrong, but if you simply decide that entree was not “worth” what you paid, you are an ass for trying to get out of paying. The exact same thing is the case in tipping.
You have the option to reserve said tip if service does not meet appropriate standards. Nobody is saying you must tip the same if service is bad. That is the consumer advantage in a tipping system. However, restaurants can and do turn away people, or enforce a mandatory gratuity, on people who do not tip for no reason. Rightly so, as in order to keep quality staff, they generally will have to pay if waiters are stiffed repeatedly or by large parties of people.
I’m sure you would be understandably upset if your salary or wage was lowered without cause at your job when your paycheck showed up.
If you do not wish to follow cultural standards and tip appropriately, do not patronize establishments with a tipping system. You do not personally determine what is an “appropriate” tip. An appropriate tip is 15% - 20% for appropriate service for that establishment for waiters, and, generally $1 to $2 per entree / pizza for food delivery.
If you decide that 1% is an appropriate tip for adequate service, then you are a tightwad and a freeloader, and deserve to be mocked. Period.