Peter Jackson: erect a statue to Gollum, the REAL hero of LOTR

He’s definitely flawed.

He’s the character we can identify with the most!

He goes through more tortures and troubles than anyone else!

He’s more “human” than anyone else! He definitely shows more emotion and passion than any of those other wooden characters.

And let’s face it, he saves the day at the end.

Since Peter Jackson has already taken so many liberties with LOTR, I propose one more: after the Hobbits get home and scour the Shire, they should erect a monument that says the following:

SMEAGOL OF THE RIVER FOLK

LAST RING-BEARER

DELIVERER OF THE WORLD

Heh!

No arguments so far. Guess that means everyone agrees with me. Gollum is the unsung hero AND the most compelling character.

Or am I wrong? If I am, feel free to post.

Gollum’s pathos was one of the best parts of TTT.
I liked how Frodo’s character was better defined by it as well. On a certain level they understood one another.
The reality of the Gollum character drove a stake through the heart of Jar Jar Binks too. Erect a monument to him for that alone!

Jar Jar Binks :smiley:

I agree that the movie was a Giant Leap Forward in “humanizing” Gollum. Maybe now the shrivelly old fellow will attain the cult status which, in my opinion, he always deserved.

Heck, my fourth graders always liked Gollum best.Long after they forget all the other characters, they’re still whispering “Precioussssssss…”

One problem. This:

isn’t gonna happen.

Are you sure there’s no Shire-scouring in ROTK? I’ve only heard rumors, and I’ve seen a still of Saruman impaled on some torture-wheel thingamajigger. That could mean he falls into the gears of one of his own smog-belching factories in the Shire. Who knows?

In the FOTR Extended Edtion Director’s Commentary, Peter Jackson explicitly states that the Scouring of the Shire is out. It was referenced in Frodo’s vision in the Mirror of Galadriel, and that’s all it gets. It hasn’t been said as such, but it seems likely that Wormtongue kills Saruman, presumably at the end of the scene where Gandalf confronts him at Orthanc. As this scene is not in TTT, if it is to be included at all, it will of a necessity be in ROTK. The picture of the white wizard on the spiked wheel, and the presence of the wheel on a toy/model of Isengard, seem to support this hypothesis.

I don’t know, there weren’t many schizophrenics at the theater when I saw it. What makes you identify with him? I admit his presence and interraction make Frodo come alive a bit more, but I’m much more in tune with Sam than I would ever be with Gollum.

snip

How, exactly? From what I got in his last little bout with himself, he’s just decided to lead Sam and Frodo into a trap where they’ll be murdered and he’ll be able to get back the ring. How is this “saving the day”?
The rest of your post, I’m not quite sure what my thoughts are though. I’m not sure if he was necessarily “more human” than the other characters, but he was definitely given a lot more time to expand on his character, which was nice. I found the little argument between Schmeegle and Gollum to be one of the best scenes in the film, but what other characters had the opportunity for such personal developement? As far as the advancement in CGI characters, I also give them credit. I’m one of those people who tends to cringe everytime I see CGI used in movies, especially when it’s incredibly blatant because people still seem to think that if you want CGI to look lifelike, it has to be in constant, smooth movement. I still noticed a lot of that with Gollum, but what they managed to do with his facial features was absolutely great. Definitely an advancement as far as I’m concerned.

Just think about it this way, from the second the Ring hits the fire they’ve got the audience for roughly fifteen more minutes. If they go much more than that the audience starts squirming and checking their watches (“Shouldn’t this movie have ended half an hour ago?”) and the end result is they walk out with a negative impression.

So, what do you squeeze into those fifteen minutes? And don’t forget that some of time is automatically going to be eaten up by rescuing Frodo and Sam, the victory scenes, and the Grey Havens. The Scouring of the Shire just can’t fit in considdering how massively involved the storytelling in it is; that’s a lot of new stuff thrown at audiences as they’re getting ready to leave.

Haven’t read the books, eh?

Spoiler:

He’s the one that eventually gets the Ring into the Fire.

Well, for one thing, we hates the Baggins thief forever.

OK, I can see the argument that Gollum is the “real hero” of LotR, but he’s also the “real villain.”

In the books, we never confront Sauron directly. Nor do Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf, Sam, etc. When we get to the final confrontation, the embodiment of EVIL… turns out to be Gollum. Tolkien’s message is very clear, that evil is not a great, magnificent powerful satan, but a snivelling, grovelling, greedy nasssssty despicable creature.

The same message comes through in the scouring of the Shire, of course, where the great and magnificent and powerful Saruman is, at heart, the petty, mean, spiteful, hate-filled Sharku.

So, if Gollum is the hero, he is also the villain.

I’m not usually a proponent of superfluous posts, but I have to pop in and say, five minutes later, I’m still giggling at this.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by El Elvis Rojo *
**I don’t know, there weren’t many schizophrenics at the theater when I saw it. What makes you identify with him?

The schizophrenics sister was in the theater though.

I read the books in later elementary school and I didn’t realize Gollum was schizophrenic until we took TeenSthrnAccent and went to see the movie last night. As a young reader I thought Gollum was possessed. However watching Gollum converse with and struggle against his selves last night was very much like watching my schizophrenic brother in action when he’s been skipping meds.

So yeah, if schizophrinia or obsessive compulsive disorders have touched your life, it was very easy to identify/sympathize/have empathy for Gollum.

Are there really people out there that have never encountered family members or others with mental illness? :confused:

By accident. After betraying the real heroes – that is, the ones who willingly risk everything for the greater good – in an attmept to reclaim the ring.

Doesn’t seem very heroic to me.

I think this is one area where Peter Jackson’s movie deserves very high praise. I felt much more sympathy for his Smeagol than I did when I read the books.

Me too. I thought his mental struggle in TTT (movie) was the most touching and most tragic story in the film. The first time I watched the movie in theatres, after Frodo and Sam get captured and seperated from Gollum and then Frodo ‘tricks’ Gollum into being captured as well, and Gollum ‘turns bad’ again, I was shocked (seriously) to hear the audience laughing!!

PJ’s movie merely portrayed Gollum the way I’d visualized him all along. Yes, I’ve always been a Gollum sympathizer (poor old chap). He gets the rawest deal of anyone.

Let’s face it, Frodo FAILED in his quest at the end. Whether he meant to or not, G completed the quest. Perhaps he was destined to do that? Gandalf (paraphrased): “Even Gollum may have a part to play before this story ends.”

He was USED!!! Cruelly, foully used!!! Nassty, ssssneaking hobbitsessss and wizardssss!

Anyway, I can easily imagine Frodo feeling guilty over Gollum’s inadvertent sacrifice, and even, in a PJ-distorted LOTR universe, wanting to express himself with some sort of memorial. “Here lies Gollum. I wanted to help him.”

I think the statue should portray ol’ Smeagol in a happy moment: catching and eating a raw fish.

Any other suggestions?

Well, let’s all remember what JRRT implied (someplace in “letters”) about what would have happened had Gollum fully repented on the stairs to Cirith Ungol: He would have led his master faithfully to the cracks of doom, and there would have seized the ring from Frodo AND thrown himself into the cracks of doom, to save all involved.