Petraeus report will actually be written by the White House

If only!

:confused: Whyever not? This situation is the whole world’s business.

If they don’t show up in September, feel free to give 'em hell.

In the meantime, the Bush White House has a credibility problem here: it has none. That’s what the whole Petraeus bit was all about: because Bush & Co. had no cred left, they held up Petraeus as the white knight who would try to do Iraq right, this time, and who was the Straight Shooter who could be trusted to give us the straight word in September. They had to hide behind Petraeus’ credibility because they had none of their own.

Except now it turns out that Petraeus’ report will be written by the no-cred crew after all. It will have no meaning, because for five years, any connection between the Administration’s words about Iraq and the actual truth has been at best coincidental.

It’s been fucking up for five years, and lying about it for five years. And what do you have? The Dems missed a meeting they should have been at. And the Dems have the perception problem? In your fantasies.

Not that the Dems don’t have a PR problem - but it’s because people expected them to stand up to this Administration, and not be jerked around by it on the war, FISA, and who knows what else.

Because it would be a grandstanding circus?

-XT

I can’t fault someone for walking out of Keane’s testimony.

This goes against every bit of polling data I have seen where the vast majority of Iraqis want the US out.

Yep, it must be just about like Disney World there.

I agree a better move would have been to listen, take notes, and question intensely. But it sure looks like you needed your boots on and your legs off the floor to keep ahead of the manure being spread.

And the downside to that would be . . . ?

…self evident, I should say. If you don’t think that a media circus with a bunch of hard blowing politician types grandstanding for the spotlight is a bad thing then I guess YMV, BG.

-XT

That description applies with equal force to the Watergate hearings and the Iran-Contra hearings, to which there was no downside. (There was a downside to the Monicagate hearings, but only because of the utter bullshit of the subject matter.)

Grandstanding politicians will attract unwarranted attention to this trivial matter.

That’s an incredibly naive notion, BG.

“The whole world” can read about the War in the press, but they have no business knowing what our Generals think of the situation. Congress does, yes, but not the world. Besides, if the cameras are rolling, Petraeus is going to be less than open, as well he should be, and that’s not a good thing.

It’s all in the law I referred to above. The Comptroller’s report is written by the Office of the Comptroller, the indepdendent commission is the one mentioned in this article:

and both Petraeus and Crocker will testify before Congress. That’s what the law requires.

I don’t think anyone has an issue about testimony in a closed session, recorded.

Petraeus’s September Report:

"We have made important gains. However, they can be difficult to quantify when the whole of the situation is so poor, so I’m going to give some anecdotes and cherry-pick some statistics.

The upshot of my report is that we must persevere until my next report. So, I think all you nattering nabobs of negativity really need to keep quiet for another six months."

The next six months will consist of Tony Snowjob telling everyone that “We don’t want to comment on anything important until General Petraeus’s March report.”

And I’m not even a psychic like some users claim to be!

-Joe

I see no justification here for closed hearings such as would be used for reports to the intelligence committees involving highly classified information. Whatever Congress is told about how our generals view the Iraq situation, the American people and the world at large will also know, one way or another.

:dubious: No, there is certainly not any good reason why Petraeus should be “less than open” if the cameras are rolling.

Well, there you have it. You don’t see it, so it’s not there. Dude, this is a war. You don’t broadcast your every thought about the war to the other side. I want Congress to know Petraeus’ every thought about the war.

Maybe, maybe not. No need to facilitate the process.

:rolleyes: See above.

Besides, did you read the law Captain Amazing quoted? It said that testimony in both open and closed sessions was required. It’s already decided, so your naive idea about how a war is executed is irrelevant.

Right – classified matters can be discussed in the closed sessions, but Petraeus is still required to testify (presumably on more general matters such as whether and how benchmarks have been met) in open sessions. With, you know, the TV cameras and everything.

So, you’ve changed your mind? :confused:

For examples, details about which tactics have been more/less successful are just as sensitive as any intelligence reports. Ditto for tactics we plan to use in the future, including where we will deploy our troops.

Note that the closed sessions are a subset of Congress, the committees. There is no reason to believe that info discussed in those sessions will be stuff that “the world at large will also know, one way or another”.

Care to quote the law in relevant portion?

Which commission is apparently only looking at the question of the abilities of Iraqi security forces. The articles implied that even whose side they were on was out of scope.

Big whoop.

IOW, you’re not answering this question.

Here it is again, along with other relevant parts:

The enemy knows what we’re doing, we’re doing it to them. If anyone knows the effectiveness of those tactics, it would be they. The only people left in the dark are us.

Got a cite for that?

But lets address the larger picture: Are you of the same mind as **BG **(or at least what his earlier mind was) that no closed session testimony is necessary-- that the world deserves to know everything that Congress hears from Petraeus?