Pets in heaven?

Hey, Elkman’s here!

On a recent walk, my daughter(7yrs) and I saw a feline that had obviously met an unhappy end under the wheel of a motor vehicle. She asked me if it would be reunited with its owner in heaven. This lead to more questions about whether she would be reunited with her beloved pets, past, present and future, in heaven. Personally, I cannot imagine their being litter boxes in heaven, but since she was being serious, I figured it was best to attempt a serious answer. However, I have little education of a theological nature, and am not on close terms with any “men of the cloth”. A cursory examination of a topically indexed Bible reveals nothing along these lines. Can anyone help, keeping in mind that I have to explain this to a child who still firmly believes in Santa Claus, despite information she has discovered to the contrary?

Well, if your religion is Biblically based, there’s this in Ecc 3:18-21:

…Which at least seems to support the possibility of animals in heaven.

Elkman, this may sound sarcastic or conceited or whatever, but my intentions are serious, and I am try hard NOT to offend you. If you do take offense, please forgive me.

Second, if you also believe in Santa Claus, then I am sorry that I cannot think of a suitable response, so please ignore the rest of this post.

But if you don’t believe in Santa, then I don’t know what the problem is. Tell her whatever will make her happy. If it doesn’t bother you that she believes in people that you don’t believe in, then I would think that you don’t need any sort of accuracy or correctness regarding pets in heaven either.

Perhaps you can use this situation to start learning some theology. Together with your daughter, ideally. She’s obviously spent some time thinking about these sort of things, and kids can be awfully insightful at times, their heads being uncluttered and all. My best wishes to sharing some long and fruitful discussions with her.

The sad fact is that pets do not make it into heaven. There is a constant fog that reaches about 12 inches off of the ground at all time. If any animal were to do his business nobody would be able to avoid stepping in it. Alas this is the way it shall be until they turn off those fog machines.

Marc

“The lion shall lie down with the lamb and a little child shall lead them.”

We had this debate at the Christian school I attended. The teacher was almost * offended * by the idea that “lower” orders would be with us in Heaven. My side of the argument was that we’re all “God’s creatures,” and that Revelation mentions the phrase above, and if they’re gonna have lions and lambs, then they probably will have dogs, cats and goldfish. Isn’t heaven supposed to be a perfect, happy place? It wouldn’t be for me if I couldn’t have my dog along for the ride. Lots of little kids runnin’ around up there, I said, and surely God has puppies and kittens for them to play with.

Come on over to my heaven- all pets are welcome! Like lissa, I ain’t goin’ if my dogs can’t come with me!

Why would some religious people be threatened by a pet in heaven? They should be MUCH more worried about some of the people they plan to invite to the party.

Gaudere has it right. Heaven is supposed to never be more than a hope.

Yeah, the won’t let pets in, but murderers, no problem! You know that whole “forgive him, jesus” before they juice some guy who got the chair.

I’ve had jeezoids tell me there were no pets in heaven and i said then I don’t wanna go! And mark twain wrote this:
(this is two animals talking)

“When we die, Sagebrush, do we go to heaven and dwell with man?”

“My father thought not.
He believed we do not have to go there unless we deserve it.”

-- By Mark Twain, from "A Horse's Tale"

Right on, Mark Twain!

Anyone reminded of the Twilight Zone episode where the man wouldn’t go to heaven because they wouldn’t let him bring his dog and hunt squirrls? Turned out that he was almost tricked to going to hell and St. Peter found him and assured him dogs would be in heaven and so would hunting.

So the answer is that there are pets in heaven.

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a white stone wall along one side of the road.

At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, “Excuse me, where are we?”

“This is heaven, sir,” the man answered.

“Wow! Would you happen to have some water?” the traveler asked.

“Of course, sir. Come right in, and I’ll have some ice water brought right up.”

“Can my friend,” gesturing toward his dog, “come in, too?”

“I’m sorry, sir, but we don’t accept pets.”

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

“Excuse me!” he called to the reader. “Do you have any water?”

“Yeah, sure, there’s a pump over there” The man pointed to a place that couldn’t be seen from outside the gate. “Come on in.”

“How about my friend here?” the traveler gestured to the dog.

“There should be a bowl by the pump.”

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.

“What do you call this place?” the traveler asked.

“This is heaven,” was the answer.

“Well, that’s confusing,” the traveler said. “The man down the road said that was heaven, too.”

“Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That’s hell.”

“Doesn’t it make you mad for them to use your name like that?”

“No. I can see how you might think so, but we’re just happy that they screen out the folks who’ll leave their best friends behind.”

I can’t believe no one has mentioned All Dogs Go To Heaven yet! In the sequel, we learn that not only do all dogs go to heaven, but that the devil is a cat, so all cats apparently go to hell. This seems to be supported by numerous cartoons, such as the episode of Tom and Jerry in which Tom almost goes to hell, and the episode of Sylvester and Tweety in which eight of Sylvester’s nine lives go to hell. Interestingly, the devil is a dog in that episode, so it seems we can’t trust cartoons as inerrant in this regard, although the cartoon fundamentalists will most likely disagree. In any event, I can’t recall a single instance of a dog going to hell in a cartoon, so it seems that all dogs do go to heaven, even the mean and nasty ones that bite mailmen.

As a Christian, it pains me to see new posters like this guy come in post an OP like this.

I keep thinking…“They just have no idea…”:slight_smile:
MGibson…with your permision your reply:

Will be my standard reply. (I’m still wiping the beer off the monitor)

Elkman:

If you are not secure or knowledgable about your faith, you may want to sit back and read a little bit before opening yourself up to ridicule. If you don’t have your facts nailed down, don’t be surprised if you start getting shredded every which way.

I would suggest going here: [url/]http://www.leftbehind.com

They are a little more friendly. (as long as you are THEIR type of Christian) At the very least I am willing to bet that they have debated this issue 15-20 times.

There are lots of animals in the Happy Hunting Grounds.

:confused:

Well, I’m pretty sure Jesus said: “Even dogs eat the scraps that fall from their master’s table; cats, on the other hand, can go screw.”

Or am I remembering that wrong?

When my cat, Whitney died, my 8 year old niece was very upset. I happened upon http://www.aplb.org when trying to figure out what to tell her about Whitney and heaven. There is a writing called All Pets go to Heaven that I shared with her. It seemed to ease her pain and questions.

It’s pretty much an accepted “fact” among many pet owners that when their beloved pets die, they go to the Rainbow Bridge, where they wait for their owners. Then, presumably when the owner dies, he reunited with his pet at the Bridge and they go together into Heaven.

Here is a nice glurgey page all about it.

http://www.cyberhideaway.com/RainbowBridge/

DireWolf, that story was beautiful.