Pfft! The History Channel. I was on CSI: Miami!

Simple explanation really: David Caruso just misread Shakes as “Shades” and was arresting you for petty larceny, of his trademark gimmick. :smiley:

Not sure I’d call Brovlofsky exactly common, but whatever floats your boat. :slight_smile:

Oh boy, I mangled that, didn’t I? I meant “my name is fairly common, but not like Smith or Jones; it’s uncommon enough that…” :wink:

There’s a Verizon holiday commercial with elves running right now that blurts out the name of one of my coworkers. It’s very bizarre! And also hysterical, because he’s the one that’s naughty and calling his name leads the entire toy assembly line to come to a screeching halt. :stuck_out_tongue: Much razzing all around.

My first name’s common. My second name’s pretty rare. But I managed to get a starring spot in a one-off, major-label comic about a vampire hunter.

I’m not really a comic reader, but I felt obliged to pick it up.

Similar to how, a few decades ago, the name “Bruce” got associated as code for comical gay characters, or “Myron” with Jewish nebbish characters, my first name seems to be used in TV shows as shorthand for a certain kind of character with negative traits to the extent that I do not appreciate hearing my name used on TV.

Many years ago, when I was 8 years old, I was reading a Bobbsey Twins book (I was desperate, and had absolutely nothing left to read) when I came across something bizarre. One of the characters, the bully, was visiting someone, whose name was either my dad’s first-and-last names or first-middle-and-last names.

I brought it to his attention, and we tried to find out how the author knew him. The closest we could figure out was that one of the authors of the Bobbsey Twins series was probably married to one of his navy shipmates from WWII.

The weird part is that my dad’s name was not very common. Even now, when I Google him, I only come up with 409 total hits. Of these 409, less than 10 of them actually refer to him. The rest are either modern people with his name (i.e., Facebook hits), or people from the 19th Century (i.e., genealogy hits). There just aren’t that many people with his name pattern.

However, there is no way on earth I am going to re-read the Bobbsey Twins to find out which book it is in.