Philly Cheesesteaks. What and where?

I will be in Philadelphia this summer and I need the SD on cheesesteaks.
Does a real cheesesteak come with Velveeta or provolone? I’ve seen both.
What sort of beef is used?
What topping are on a cheesesteak? Grilled peppers and onions?
And the most important question, where should I go to get one or three?

Cheez Whiz, you Philistine.
CW or provolone are both standard.

A real Philly Cheese Steak has Cheeze Whiz or similar low quality cheese. Though provolone is far better.

Geno’s and Pat’s are the 2 places acknowledged as the center of Philly Cheese Steak.

Toppings should be to your taste. But yes, Pepper and onions are pretty standard.

Go to Geno’s or Pat’s just to be able to say you’ve been to one of them I guess.

Yep. I knew that but I’ll blame early dementia.
Since provolone is acceptable, smoked or non-smoked.
And for locations, I prefer provolone. I can’t stand cheeze whiz.

So if I order a pepper provolone cheesesteak from Geno’s, it will be steak, provolone (no cheez whiz) pepper and onions? THEN can I say I truly have visited Philly?

I’m not from Philly, but after eating at an assortment of places there over a few trips, I would recommend going to John’s Roast Pork for both an excellent cheesesteak and excellent roast pork. I think the roast pork is a better Philly sandwich, and this place will expose you to top tier versions of both.

I actually like the steak “whiz wit,” (Whiz and onions), but provolone works well. I personally don’t like anything else on it.

john’s roast pork is quite the place. i saw a bridal party standing in line once.

there is always a line.

all three are in south philly. you can get a cheesesteak anywhere. from vendors on the corner to foo foo restaurants.

I’ll accept it.

(I’m not really a cheesesteak expert, I just play one on TV)

Stay far away from Pat’s or Geno’s. it’s BS for tourists. Same for Dellasandro’s. I’d avoid any place that promotes “wit whiz”. Cheese Whiz on a a Philly may be “authentic” as far as it originated in Philly, but it’s BS. Vile stuff.

You should be checking out the Reading Terminal market anyways, so a perfectly good place to get a proper cheesesteak there is Spataros. In the city, Angelo’s and Ishkabibbles is good.

The best places are really in little shops and bodegas in the neighborhoods, some where you probably don’t want to be in.

Huh. I found Dellasadros among the best. I’ve not been impressed with any corner bodega I’ve had over that, but I’ve only tried like two or three, about fifteen years ago. They say the same about the wings on Buffalo, that the corner pizza place has the best and, at least as an outsider, I have not found that to be the case. The usual suspects like Duff’s are indeed the best.

Real Philadelphia Cheesesteaks are made with real cheese, Provolone or Mozzarella, or any cheese that doesn’t end in Whiz. Philly Cheesesteaks are a different animal only resembling the original. The best ones are now found across a bridge in Jersey. There are still places where you can get the real McCoy in Philadelphia and it’s surroundings, but just because you got one in Philadelphia doesn’t make it good. I am a cheesesteak expert from the Golden Era of Cheesesteaks in the 1970s when the fabulous treat bestowed on the world became popular, before the Fool’s Gold Era of Philly Cheesesteaks that emerged in the 80s.

Yeah, the main thing they’ve both mastered is marketing. Their food is fine, and their process is certainly streamlined for high volume, but it’s definitely there for tourists.

It’s my understanding that locals tend to follow a bakery that supplies the bread rather than a specific place that actually makes the sandwich. Any idiot can make the filling. The bread makes the sandwich.

Amoroso rolls make a Philly cheesesteak.

As I understand, the original steak didn’t even have cheese; provolone was added in the 40s, Whiz in the 50s. I don’t care for this kind of gate keeping. It’s not like it wasn’t the locals clamoring for Cheez Whiz and putting it on their steaks. Ain’t nothing wrong with it and, for me, it what makes the sandwich unique. Hell, the “Chicago dog” didn’t even really settle into its seven iconic ingredients until around the 70s, pushed largely by Vienna Beef. If you look at old signs, OG Chicago dogs often don’t have anything beyond mustard, onion, and relish on them (and some of our stands still serve them that way.) But they are all legitimate Chicago hot dogs.

Philadelphians are often their own worst enemy. The introduction of cheese whiz is an example of this :smiley:

That’s one of the famous rolls, but I’ve had an even better one in Philly whose name I just can’t remember in my middle age. ETA: John’s uses Carangi, but I was thinking of Liscio’s.

Oh, and IIRC Geno’s announced a rule that all orders must be in English. I consider this confusing and hateful. Just putting it out there.

oh, and you really should see the Mutter Museum.

I second this. Fantastic place. Get the book they sell there as a souvenir, you aren’t allowed to take pics.

Ugg. What a buncha dicks. Thankfully, you’re not missing much. Of the ones I’ve tried, theirs was my least favorite.(Although I did enjoy Pat’s. The best part was walking down the Italian market on 9th Street there. Holy moly was there some good food to be had.)

Funny how the advice hasn’t changed much in 16 years…

(I vaguely recall liking Ishkabibble the most out of the “famous” shops. Going to Pat’s and Geno’s was like taking a selfie in front of the Mona Lisa. Gauche but kinda you gotta.)