Phlosphr, you are a fucking idiot (re: home birth)

Yeesh almighty. Relevant thread here: Birthing at home: Getting over the fear. - In My Humble Opinion - Straight Dope Message Board

All you need to know is that Phlosphr (a father-to-be) is all jazzed on home birthing, but for some reason started a thread about getting over the fear of home birthing.

One of the topics we discussed in the thread is whether home birthing is better for the baby. Phlosphr keeps insisting that the baby’s safety is the most important thing to him, but he doesn’t answer directly when confronted with evidence to the contrary, such as a recent meta-study showing that home-birthing carries 3 times the risk of death for the baby over hospital birth.

Here’s the post that prompted this pit thread:

Can of worms officially opened, bitch. You and your bitch-ass grape-eating wife are perfectly fine with risking the life of your unborn child in search of some trippy-ass spiritual experience. Well, that’s one pantload too far.

You’ve already failed in your first big decision as a parent. In all likelihood your kid will survive the experience (not that you’ve helped him/her out on that score), but here’s hoping that the other decisions you make as a parent are better than this one.

I posted arguments against home birth in that other thread and don’t feel like repeating them here. I just want to pit this motherfucker.

Sorry man, I read that thread and the only person I wanted to pit was you. You may not agree with his choices, but holy hell do you come off as a giant jack-ass.

Meh. I guess I’m more bothered than you by people taking risks with their kids’ lives for their own comfort and in search of a mystical spiritual experience. But feel free to let your mileage vary.

You’ve got a problem with this but you’d be fine with letting the baby eat unregulated food and be treated with untested medicines?

Your hero would be very disappointed with you.

Who, Rand Rover?

:wink:

You aren’t very smart are you?

Yes I am.

Oh, OK. Well, that settles that. Back to how Phlosphr is a dumbass.

It’s a reasonable decision, certainly a bit more risky than a hospital birth, but not unreasonably so. Frankly, I’d be more concerned about the mother than the baby.

And it does seem that when the shit hits the fan, the OP is not willing to put his child where his mouth is.

I haven’t read that thread, so I dunno how he acted in it…but from reading his OP here gotta say I think he’s right on the merits. No way in Hell home birth is in the same safety universe as a hospital. Sometimes emergency situations happen during a birth…things that could kill mother and/or child. A hospital has equipment and resources to deal with those things as safely as possible. If a really bad thing happens during a home birth, somebody might die an otherwise preventable death.

Ew.

Well here are a few gems from Rand Rover from that thread.

There are ways to reasonably express your opinion, and there are ways to be a jack ass. He is well into jack ass territory here.

Oh and my personal favorite. Apparently pregnant women are just not to be trusted with any decision more important than what to make for dinner.

Yegods.

I didnt read the thread. I think home birthing is pretty dumb, but the hormone argument and telling your wimminfolk what to do cos she’s too addled?

Theres room for more than one pitting here Id say.

Otara

Well, true. Rand is often on the right side of an argument, but he’s got all the charm of a wet cat.

More like the right wing-nut side.

I’m with RR on this, but I would tone down the language. Home birth is an irresponsible choice.

This hits close to home for me because someone I give a shit about is planning a home birth, and I actually have to say that, researching it, I feel better than I did before. This is because it looks like the baby rather than the mother is absorbing the lion’s share of the risk with a home birth. While I’ll feel bad for her if something happens to her baby, I have never met said baby and don’t give a good goddamn about it as long as she makes it through safely. So. Whatever she wants.
The pregnant women making bad decisions thing was jerkish and stupid, but I think it’s counterbalanced by Phlospher’s adamant insistence that he and his wife “researched thoroughly” when it looks like they’re choosing home birth because of a weird “spiritual connection” thing and then found a bunch of links that confirm what they’ve already decided.

Whatever they want will probably be okay, though. The birth will probably be fine, then they can say “I told you so” because they doubled or tripled a fairly small risk and came through okay. So, they get to feel smug and everyone who understands statistics doesn’t have to change their opinion. Everybody wins.

I mean, I thought I made it pretty clear my wife is a dumbass and that we were fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants, uneducated derelicts.

I also thought I made it clear anyone who has a baby in a hospital or birthing center is fucking insane, and that they are exposing the mother and child to harmful pathogens and uncaring [probably Muslim] doctors.

It was the research that told me chances are good my first born will die, well, at least have a higher likelihood of dying than their hospital-born brethren.

Yup, I’m going to go smoke another J, read some Oatmeal and hit the sack, cuz if this isn’t the biggest load of bullshit I’ve spilled all day, I’m in the wrong spot.

I don’t care if you don’t agree with people who have home births, it’s being a complete Dick about it that throws me. Fuck, I usually agree with you in threads.

Wait a minute, what’s wrong with The Oatmeal? Let’s not go dragging a perfectly good comedy blog into this!

We are the least smug people on the planet. And I thought that chatting with our OBGYN and interviewing midwives was pretty good research; on the research note, see my thread from 5 months ago.