Pinkos everywhere

I was just kinda wondering where the term pinko (in reference to communists) came from. Any info you guys can provide would be appreciated.

It’s a clever perjorative from the ‘30s to decribe “fellow travelers”. You might not be a hard core, card carryin’, Commie Red; but you might be a folk song listen’, FDR votin’, ACLU supportin’, Pinko. (ya see, “pink” is a milder shade of “red”)

Back in the fifties, communists were known as Reds. Still are. Communist sympathizers (i.e., non-members) in the US and other non-communist states weren’t “Reds”, they were thought of as Pink, slangified at the time of the beats (hey, daddy-o) to pinko.

That’s my off-the-cuff nutshell version. I’m sure someone else here will come up with a small dissertation. Just wait.

“If I pinch my nose with my fingers, close my mouth tight,
and blow real hard, I can make my ears bleed. It’s
not as cool as Superman’s X-ray vision, but it’s my own
special talent.”

That was rather anti-climactic.
I was hoping there was something a tad bit more interesting.

The truth is not always exciting, but it’s always the truth.

Lucille Ball was accused of being a communist, seems she had been registered in the party in the thirties.
Desi Arnez made an impassioned plea, saying the only thing about her that was red was her hair, and even that that wasn’t real!

True story.

That’s about as exciting as I can make this thread. Welcome to the bored. I mean board. :smiley:

“If I pinch my nose with my fingers, close my mouth tight,
and blow real hard, I can make my ears bleed. It’s
not as cool as Superman’s X-ray vision, but it’s my own
special talent.”

Pinkos are wellcome in MPSIMS. Tree huggers, Tracy Chapman fans, everybody. Join the pinko discussion.

Ya, but can we keep this thread open until NickyLarson sends photos?

Are you driving with your eyes open or are you using The Force? - A. Foley

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by NickyLarson:
Lucille Ball was accused of being a communist

Isn’t it funny how one could be “accused” of being a communist, when the communists made enormous contributions to social progress in this country in the 30’s and 40’s, knowledge of which has been almost totally suppressed

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by NickyLarson:
Lucille Ball was accused of being a communist

Isn’t it funny how one could be “accused” of being a communist, when the communists made enormous contributions to social progress in this country in the 30’s and 40’s, knowledge of which has been almost totally suppressed.

Well, first of all, people were generally accused of being a Communist (member of the Communist Party USA, which was secretly run by Stalin and which did organize massive spying operations) rather than a communist (or parlor pinko).

Second, I don’t the CPUSA had much to do with the “social progress in this country in the 30’s and 40’s”; that was mostly Democrats under FDR. (Assuming I haven’t misunderstood your reference.)

There’s certainly something to be said about not attacking people who just happen to be somewhat leftist, but you do have to remember that the CPUSA was actively involved in spying and that the big-C Communists made no bones about wanting to destroy the USA and capitalism and then dance on our graves. There certainly were abuses during the '50s, but the general policy of unearthing and exposing people who joined an organization dedicated to the overthrow of the lawful government still seems to be to be entirely justifiable.

[Oh no, did I just aim this thread at GD?]

…but when you get blue, and you’ve lost all your dreams, there’s nothing like a campfire and a can of beans!