Pitting UltraVires

It’s mostly the same for me. On fairly empty side streets in my sleepy NYC suburb, some people aren’t wearing masks (and giving everyone else a wide berth), but once you get to the park or the downtown area, we’re all masked up, even if there’s no one within 50 feet. It’s just easier than taking it on and off all the time.

After all the death and damage, it’s stunning to me that not everyone is doing the same.

Even here in Arizona when I went grocery shopping this week, virtually everyone was masked with very few noses exposed and no chin masks.

They can be taught!

Yeah we are not fucking around in NYC. Almost every single person I see just walking outside on the street has a mask on here. “For the TV” is fucking stupid.

I held off for a while, as I though the guy was trying to be good, but it’s clear he’s back to his old tricks. First time I’d seen system lock a post in ages, to the point I thought the feature had been removed.

Guy doesn’t care the seat of government was attacked (in a thread on that topic). Just gotta try and pwn the libs for daring to not support a coup attempt against our country.

And he got a warning for it, which is immensely satisfying.

He’s a jerk. Worse, he’s a stupid jerk.

He did a drive-by threadshit in the Gaetz thread, too.

He just popped in to ask if Gaetz really did anything illegal. Then took offense when multiple posters pointed out YES, and admitted he hadn’t read the thread. Or any news, presumably, acting like he’d never heard of this minor news story.

My comment:

For sure. I don’t live there anymore but I still own my apartment - I sublet it.

My building has imposed a $500 fine -per offense- for not wearing a mask in the public areas of the building and they are using the security cameras to help them enforce the rule.

Which are unenforceable. Landlords cant set up their own private justice system. These ‘rules’ could also be used to discriminate.

Why would they not be? When you sign a lease, you agree to abide by the rules of the complex. I know several appt complexes that will fine you if they catch you letting your dog poop without cleaning it up. How is this any different?

How would the rules be used to discriminate?

I’m pretty sure charging people money to enter private property I own is legal.

The rule is definitely binding on residents, assuming it’s not used in a discriminatory manner. But it’s not inherently discriminatory.

We might not be able to fine the UPS guy or the guy fixing the elevator. But every resident has signed an agreement agreeing that they and their guests will abide by rules approved by the board and acknowledging they may be fined if they don’t.

The building is a co-op, not a condo. I’m not going to go into the differences but co-ops are more restrictive than condos. Every resident, whether they own or sublet, has signed a contract with the building as a condition of being allowed to live there.

Suspended now, for at least one day. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy.

[I had never opened this thread until now, assuming it was about some bozo in the news, not a Doper.]

Pro tip: If others are commenting on a news story and you’ve never heard of it, refrain from posting about it until you’ve done some research.

Especially around here.

Unless of course, you are West Virginia’s Dumbest Lawyer.

He’s not a lawyer!

Thats Not A Cat Friends GIF - Thats Not A Cat Friends Joey Tribbiani - Discover & Share GIFs

Not sure I follow. Foundation?

For someone familiar with Friends, one of the characters adopted a hairless cat (a Sphynx) and another character (Joey, who is in the gif) insists repeatedly that it isn’t a cat. Because no cat looks like that. The humor being that of course it’s a cat, albeit a weird-looking one, but no matter what anyone says Joey can’t be convinced it’s a cat.

So the argument made here is that UV can’t be a lawyer because no real lawyer would ever act this way. (I believe the implication being that of course UV is a lawyer, just a really dumb one, much as the Sphynx is a cat, just a really strange one.)

That cat looks like a sock puppet with a real cat’s head on top. It will haunt my dreams and turn them into nightmares.

Damn you.

Oh, don’t be creeped out. Just because it’s a past-its-sell-by-date uncooked chicken with a zombie (“Monkey’s Paw” style) partially-mummified cat’s head screwed on top… sweet dreams!

Just don’t get the image in your head of it licking itself.

Don’t! Don’t think about it.