Places worth living in...

OK, I’m thinking about relocating from Connecticut. I’m trying to create a “long list” of possibilities so tell me where you live and why you like it. Or where you live and why you hate it. I’m sick of Connecticut because I grew up here and because I’m single and it’s not a place to be if you’re single. There are cemeteries with more going on than Hartford on a Friday night. Thanks, Dopers.

If you wanna be busy Fridaynights, or other nights for that matter, I would suggest Amsterdam, The Netherlands. And it’s really far from Connecticut too !

Not what you meant ? Consider it for a holiday then :wink:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Hey, I know Connecticut! That’s the state I drive through to get to New England!

Uke

If you can stand rain, Portland, OR or Seattle, WA are great places to live – booming economies, very nice people, and good sports teams (if that matters). Personally, when the rain was getting to me, I was considering Austin, TX or Atlanta, GA, since they have stong tech economies and seem to have good scenes going on.

http://www.madpoet.com
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

NYC is the only place to live.

Actually, I’m a bit north of NYC these days - in southern Orange County. Beautiful place to live (you probably know that - you don’t live too far away). [sarcasm]And, it’s really hip and happening here, too. You could go out to eat, or, you could go out and drink, or you could go out to eat and drink after that, or you could even go out to drink and stop for a bite to eat after.[/sarcasm]
Really, there’s not much to “do” here. When we can get enough people up for it, we have Trivial Pursuit marathons (it sounds geeky, but it is really fun).

IMHO, get as close as possible to NYC, you’ll never regret it.

There’s no snooze alarm on a hungry cat. =^…^=

If you’re into outdoor sports, Denver is the place to be. The multitude of outdoorsy stuff to do here is a big hook for companies trying to recruit the best & brightest.

I love California because it is so versatile. You have the mountains, the beach, the wine country, or the culture of the city. The weather changes from place to place so you can choose sunshine or snow… and from where I am in the Bay area, they are all within a 4 hour drive. We have a huge array of fresh fruits and veggies all year long, our public places are cigarette smoke free… and best of all… the cost of living is sooooo high that it is driving everyone away =)

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

Well, I still long for my hometown, the Philadelphia Main Line. It’s what suburbs should be–a collection of towns scattered just West of Phila. Lovely old architecture, easy access to the city, lots of woods, streams . . . Oh, I wish there was work there!

The Orlando, Florida area is great if you can take the heat in summer – it’s starting to develop a really decent club scene, there are plenty of jobs (one suburb of O’do, Lake Mary, is becoming a happening place for IT jobs) and there are plenty of young people around. Beach is 1 hour away (closer, if you live on the east side of the city.) Plus, everyone you know will want to come visit you while they go to Disney.

Tampa/St. Pete area has many of the same amenities, plus a great deal more history, but it’s too built-out for my taste.

NYC.

Yer pal,
Satan

Definitely the Canadian Rockies. The air is like non other, the lifestyle is laid back and the beauty is so incredible.

I opened the door, and look who I found. Damn I’m good

A few years ago, El Hubbo and I had the opportunity to choose wherever we wanted to live. A huge help in our decision was a book called Places Rated Almanac. It rates all 351 metropolitan areas in North America in ten areas including climate, crime, cost of living, jobs, arts, and recreation. Here’s the link to the book’s page on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0028634470/qid=944595528/sr=1-1/002-4918267-4338652

Check it out!

It is much easier to see ourselves as better than or even worse than, rather than accepting that we simply are. - John “The Penguin” Bingham

The problem with those rating systems, Canthearya, is that they usually end up recommending that you move to Rochester, Minnesota.

I live in New York City, but I can’t really jump on the bandwagon with Minx and Satan. It works beautifully for me, but you have to have a certain sort of warped mentality to dig it.

How about Portland, Maine?

Uke

My vote is for the Atlanta area. Been here all my life and wouldn’t leave if you paid me. . . (you’re not paying me are you, I mean we can talk. . . um sorry, ya’ll, kinda’ got off track).

Two caveats to Atlanta:

1. You have to drink Coke. Even if it’s not Coke, it’s still a Coke, e.g.

Say you’re at Taco Bell and you have ordered your #9 combo. They will then ask you what kind of Coke you’d like. THEY DON’T SELL COKE!!! Kinda’ funny.

1. Traffic. It sux. Get an apartment in Buckhead and use MARTA, tho, and your life will be tons easier.

2. It’s not so much an issue anymore, but once upon a time, you’d be ridiculed for your accent. This isn’t really an issue anymore, what with Hot-lanta been done internationalized by them there O-limpix. Whoo doggy.

3. It’s warm in the summer time, and winter lasts 2 weeks. If it snows an inch, everything shuts down.

That’s all (I promise). Man I love this town. . .

Oh yes almost forgot, if you should happen to want to come here DON’T EVER LEAVE THE METRO AREA (unless it’s to go to Athens, or to traverse our Interstates).

“To be great is to be misunderstood” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hmmm, guess y’all think we can’t spell here either. . .

I really only had two, but the words just flowed. . .

:frowning:

“To be great is to be misunderstood” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

As a Washington D.C. suburbanite, I’d recommend highly moving down to this area.

Good points:
1.) Booming technology market. If you know computers well, there are a lot of established companies looking to hire (UUNet, AOL, etc.) and a lot of start-ups looking to expand. The D.C. area is becoming the next Silicon Valley.

2.) Attractive, available women. Nearly every ‘local’ D.C. magazine has an article every few months bemoaning the lack of intelligent, competent, caring single guys around, and pointing out that even when you throw in the unintelligent, incompetent jerks into the mix, women still outnumber men on the club scene.

3.) Historical sites in great quantity. Spend your days off visiting the Mall and looking at all of the memorials and museums- for no charge other than the bus or Metro ticket…
Bad points:
1.) Weather vortex from hell. The summers are a constant reminder that the D.C. area used to be a swamp. Winters are either so mild as to be scary (it’s about 60 degrees out today, early December, WTF) or constant dumping of snow (and, of course, no one knows how to drive in the snow).

2.) Second-worst traffic in the country. Now, if you can find a job and a house/apartment within twenty minutes of each other, it’s unlikely to be too bad for you- but be forewarned that the Capital Beltway is to be completely avoided during rush hour (6 AM to 10 AM, and again from 3 PM to 7 PM). At the very least, do not live in Maryland and work in Virginia or vice versa- imagine 100,000 commuters trying to get over one of the two bridges that connect these states, and you can guess the result.

As a final note- do not actually live in D.C. proper. Working in D.C. is fine. And D.C. is not nearly as bad a city as you’ve probably heard. But it isn’t much better than that reputation. The biggest problem is that the city gouges its residents in taxes, then does not perform many services in response. Live in the suburbs. You’ll still get gouged for taxes, but at least the fire trucks run on time and you can’t use the potholes for World War I trench warfare re-enactments.

For the love of GOD–avoid Troy, NY at all costs!!!

I’d be sorry I moved here two years ago, if I hadn’t met the love of my life here.

And that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I agree with Dewaholic (I went to college just across the river in Albany - avoid that, too).

I’m really partial to New England. Eastern or Western Mass is great. Boston if you like cities, Amherst or Northampton if you like hip college towns. Providence is also really nice, and dead cheap for an Eastern Seaboard city. It isn’t the most happening place, but it’s close enough to Boston.

The downside is, of course, the winter.

Ooops. Forgot that the OP’er lives in Connecticut. Presumably, then, you know about Massachusetts.

Well, um, Santa Fe’s nice …

Looking for Suburbia? Try Toledo. One big ass suberb. Its a great place to raise kids- there’s nothing for them to do, so they can’t get in trouble!

“People must think it must be fun to be a super genuis,
But they don’t realize how hard it is
to put up with all the idiots in the world.”
– Calvin and Hobbes
(__)
/