Platinum Girl

I’m in the middle of reading this book (by a familiar author to most of us) and just want to say DAMN. What an awesome read! Completely engrossing and so well written that it makes the hours seem like minutes as you read it. It’s facinating to read about the real lives of the stars of early film, as opposed to all the glamour and glitz that we usually see.

Thoughts?

Zette

My only thought is, “aren’t you SWEET!”

I will admit it’s not something I would have picked up if it hadn’t been for reading Ms. Golden’s work here… but my reaction is also WOW!

VERY thoroughly researched and an entertaining read. Polished it off in an evening, because I couldn’t put it down!

I knew practically nothing about Ms. Harlow before reading it & I now have a much better appreciation for she and other what early film stars (especially women) had to go through.

I would love to get a hold of some of the earlier comedies Jean was in.

Thanks, Eve!

I will admit it’s not something I would have picked up if it hadn’t been for reading Ms. Golden’s work here… but my reaction is also WOW!

VERY thoroughly researched and an entertaining read. Polished it off in an evening, because I couldn’t put it down!

I knew practically nothing about Ms. Harlow before reading it & I now have a much better appreciation for she and other what early film stars (especially women) had to go through.

I would love to get a hold of some of the earlier comedies Jean was in.

Thanks, Eve!

D’oh - mods, please remove duplicate post…

Oh, no, don’t remove the duplicate post—I wanna read that one TWICE!

[blushing prettily]

I read that one BEFORE starting here. It was what convinced me of the legitimacy of posting at the SDMB: if it was good enough for Eve Golden then it was better than good enough for me.

By the way, this wasn’t just an exercise in ass kissing, I really do love this book. Since not many people have posted about it, I’m going to assume that means that everyone has not read it yet. Why?

Well, I’m going to discuss it anyway. To myself, if I must!

One thing I wish was available is a color pic of Harlow- a lot was said about her platinum blonde hair, but I can’t picture it for the life of me. Are all photos of her in black and white as well as all of her films? (Forgive my ignorance, I don’t know when color film came out)

There are a few color photos of her—but all the ones I’ve seen are from 1936 or '37, after she had gone back to her own natural honey-blonde hair. One reel of “Hell’s Angels” (1930) is in color, but it’s a primitive technology and kinda faded-looking. Still, it’s very startling to see Jean’s only color film appearance!

My one regret is that I met Anita Page AFTER I’d finished the book. She acted at MGM from 1927–33, and had some great stories about Jean. Oh, well . . .

(Oh, and go ahead and kiss away, Zette!)

So, now you have material for an updated edition, when “Platinum Girl” goes for it’s next printing… :smiley:

Tranquilis—My very favorite fan letter was from someone who liked my Jean Harlow biography so much that she couldn’t wait for me to write the sequel. Like, “The Further Adventures of Jean Harlow,” I guess . . .

'Twas recommended to me ::mumble mumble:: years ago by a dear friend to counteract information I was getting from some pissy queens who were sullying Ms Harlow’s good name.

I now own it, and since this is an opportunity to kiss up, I recommend Vamp, about Theda Bara, as well.

Waste
Flick Lives!

Vamp is excellent. It was a huge influence on the development of a roleplaying character I was creating at the time. This was all after I joined the SDMB but before I knew that our Eve was an author. I was most impressed and awed when I realized that I’d been posting on the same message board as the Eve Golden!

Just wanted you all to know I am beaming all over with joy—the only reason I haven’t been re-posting is because I don’t want to look like I’m just bumping the thread. [She says, bumping the thread. oops.]

The thing that surprised me so much was that she died so young- I had no idea. I haven’t read that far yet (to her death), but the jacked makes a note of her age of death and cause. I was really surprised.

I showed my husband Allan (a singer/musician) her cigarette ad for Lucky smokes- touting the fact that they were so good for her throat! I’m constantly harping on him to quit smoking because it’s bad for his throat- maybe he just needs to change brands!

Zette

Just want you to know that I looked for this book Saturday, but seeing as how I couldn’t remember the name, who it was about, or Eve’s last name, I didn’t find it…although I looked through all the Biography books anyway. I’m probably going to have to hit a store with more of a selection than Waldens. I’m hoping to get this before my next trip overseas, since I’m attempting to expand my reading horizons anyway, I figure I’ll try something by a fellow doper…that way it’s sure to be good. :slight_smile:

[Eve bumps her thread again, only to say]:

Atrael—I suggest you hit www.bookfinder.com, where you can find old copies of my books, and more importantly, you can comparison-shop and save some cash-dough.

Hmmm…looks like it’s in hardbound and paperback…anyone have a recomendation? I’m not terribly concerned about the price, but if there’s nothing more in the hardbound one that makes it worth the extra, I’ll order the paperback edition.

Also, your link didn’t work Eve, you added a “,” at the end. So for anyone else, order here .

Do you do book signing tours? And I noticed that this one was published in 1991, do you have anything more recent? Do you have your own site listing all your works?

I used to have my own site, but the only people who clicked on it were friends who I told about it . . . I’ve done four other books, and my fifth is coming out in Sept. You can do an author search in amazon.com, they have all my books listed.

No one wants to see me at a book-signing . . . Unless maybe I actually dug up Jean Harlow’s bones and took them along with me. I will be doing one for the next book, but ONLY because that means the bookstore will have to order a shitload of my books, NOT because I expect anyone to show up!

Eve darling, you’d better let us know your book tour schedule. I’ll be there with bells on!

And believe it, seeing me with bells is a treat. :wink:

Zap!