Please consider supporting your local Humane Society/animal shelter

You all know we lost our cat a couple of weeks ago. Part of the aftermath in such times is disposing of supplies that are no longer needed. Quasimodem sent us a donation, and it turned out to be just enough to buy the biggest bag of Purina dry cat food in the store. I bought a second bag, and the SO and I donated the food to the Whatcom Humane Society. We also gave them the half-bag of Iams cat food and a couple of tins of wet food, plus half of a large bag of pine litter that Harvey would no longer need. (The SO had noticed a while back that they use the pine litter.) They were very happy to receive everything.

Quasimodem said he checked out the shelter’s link, which I sent him, and said he was impressed.

Whatcom Humane Society has a good relationship with no-kill shelters in the area. Sadly, there are just too many pets for the no-kill shelters to take in, and some animals have to be euthanised. This happens all across the country, and animal shelters need all the support they can get.

Please consider donating to your local shelter(s). When you’re at the market, pick up a big bag of cat food, dog food, or another thing they might need. (I called first to find out what they would like to receive, and they said that food, toys, and other supplies are greatly appreciated.) Drop your donation off in person, and look at the animals available for adoption. Maybe you don’t need or want a pet or another pet, but look anyway. Of course cash donations are always accepted, and you don’t have to leave the comfort of your home to give.

There will always be a surplus of animals, and thousands of them will be killed if they are not adopted – no matter how much or how often we all donate. (Please spay or neuter your pets!) But every little bit helps.

I’ve made donations to our local shelter, but the best thing I did was to get my dog Nathan from them. Poor guy, he’d been surrendered to the shelter and probably wondered what the heck was going on. What a bargain, as I bought eternal love for $100.

Yep. The best thing is to adopt from them. :slight_smile:

Eventually we’ll adopt another cat.

I a.s.p.c.a.

This year, instead of buying any gifts, my SO and I are buying a couple hundred dollars worth of cat and dog food and donating it to a wonderful, local no-kill shelter. We got our cat from them and they are an incredible organization.

Thank you for posting this. As a recipient these donations, I’d like to thank everyone who donates to help save lives. The food you give lets us fill empty bellies. The money you give us goes straight to vet bills. We appreciate every donation, big or small.

We couldn’t do this without you. The adoption fees we charge often just barely cover the vet bill for shots and neutoring. Many, many rescued animals need additional vet care, and your generous donations of money help fund this. Even if all you can give is pocket change, it helps. Thank you so much for helping.

Food is always needed. If we don’t have to buy food, we can use that money to vet more critters. Thank you so much for thinking of us.

Bedding and toys are very low on the list of what we spend our limited funds on, but the critters appreciate them so much. We love getting new stuff for our charges, but old clean blankets and towels are welcomed and needed. We thank you and the critters thank you for thinking of their comfort.

We still have to kill too many pets, but without those of you who donate, there would be so more unnessary deaths.

melondeca that is such a lovely thought. May I suggest that you spend some of that money on gooshy food? One of the things we do every year is to be sure that every dog gets a whole can of food on Christmas and Thanksgiving. Kibble fills bellies, but watching the dogs ears prick up and noses sniffing and happy tail wags and general excitement from homeless dogs is priceless.

Some shelters ask for old blankets and towels and such, and some shelters ask for knitted/crocheted snuggle blankies. This is a great way to use up the leftover bits of yarn that aren’t really big enough to do anything else with, and a great way to use up yarn that someone has given you. Mostly the shelters want acrylic/artificial yarn that can be machine washed and dried.

My local shelter is also pathetically grateful for coupons for pet food and supplies, and old newspapers.

I give to animal charities twice a year, once during February, to honor the memory of Andre Norton, who loved all critters. And I sponsor a fantasy writer who participates in a run in the fall, also in memory of Andre Norton, and she (the living writer) thinks that this is a perfect way to remember Norton.

Kaia came to us from Boxer Rescue Ontario and a couple times a year they get a donation from us, one just before Christmas and usually one when they are spending a lot on a particular rescue. We also like to visit them at Woofstock and drop off any non financial donations there.

It’s a fine line I tread watching their website to find out when they’ve got a particularly expensive dog to treat without ending up with another dog here after falling in love with a picture.

Yes. I endorse this message.

My mother founded one of the largest rescue shelters in southern Louisiana.
So I know all to well.
(Plus I just wanted to brag. heh heh)

Thank you for doing that, Lynn. We do love getting snuggly stuff for them.

Your post made me think about this…many rescues have events where they sell other donated items. I use the stuff in my oort basket to make bookmarks that sell for 5 bucks each. Its a perfect way to enjoy your hobby and justify spending 3 hours to make something that will sell for 5 bucks.

Awwww!!! Tell her I said thank you. And thank you for your help in the efforts, because I just know you are involved.

Do you have any stats to share? I so love hearing these sort of stories. Did she start out with a couple of dogs in the back yard, or did she plan it? How did she get funding at first? Established rescues get donations of broken bags of food, but new rescues have to beg so much just to get 501c tax status.

I’m not going to start my own rescue group, I’m going to join a new one. I just totally admire people who give their lives to rescue.

I don’t know how many of you clicked on the link to WHS, but I like their little ‘bios’. Sure, they tug at the heartstrings, but they’re trying to find these animals homes!

These are some of the cats available at the Williamson Way shelter. (There’s another WHS shelter in town, too.) They all look well looked-after, and they’re all a bunch of sweeties.

Awesome thread, Johnny. My condolences about your sweet friend, too :frowning:

I’d love to get into rescue, but currently I live where they don’t allow pets. After this living arrangement is over though, I fully intend to.

There’s an organization at my university that tries to popularize shelter animals and encourage their adoption, but unfortunately, given the nature of on-campus housing, we don’t have as much success as we wish we could. Everyone loves the puppies they see though. If any one lives near a college, it might be possible to coordinate or at least interact with these lovely animals and such campus organizations nearby. Our organization partners with local shelters for “outreach” events most weekends to introduce them to the community beyond our college.

Thanks.

My Mom is a very business savy woman. She retired as a VP from a major corperation that we’ve all heard of.

When she retired, she bought a kennel. It all kind of started from there.

The state of Louisiana found out my Mother had a soft spot for dogs (and also deep pockets). So they called her asking for a hand out to help out with their local state run shelters.

My Mom, being the business savy woman she is, told them ‘no’. She basically went on to tell them that their admin sucks. And if they want any money from her, they were going to have to restructure their whole admin. And not only that, she gave them the blue prints for exactly how she wanted it done.

They did so. It worked out so well for them that they wound up adopting this blue print for the entire state. (Originally, they were only going to use this plan for the local shelters.)

Here is a better idea: http://feedingamerica.org/#

Not better for the pets, which is what this thread is about.

Thanks, Johnny L.A., for starting this thread!

Don’t forget, if you have a soft spot for a specific type of dog or cat, you can also donate or volunteer with breed specific rescues. While private organizations may seem like they are run by wealthy philanthropists, most of them are just run by ordinary people like you or me who happen to love dogs, cats, house rabbits or whatever.

Our breed specific rescue, Chako Pit Bull Rescue works with our city and county shelters to pull adoptable pit bulls from the shelter (making more room at the shelter so fewer dogs are euthanized) and put them into foster homes (a much nicer environment!) until they can be adopted. The dogs benefit and the shelters benefit. We also volunteer on site at the shelters working with the dogs to walk them, socialize them, etc.

Sacramento’s city shelter also has a pet food bank where low-income and homeless folks can come and get food for their pets. Like a food bank for humans. This helps people keep their animals in times of need, instead of having to surrender them to the already crowded shelters and rescues. If there’s a pet food bank in your area, this would also be a worthy cause to look into.

If you’d like to discuss an alternate charity, Anchuldigs, please do so in another thread. If you’d like to debate the issue of human vs. animal donations, please do so in either Great Debates or the BBQ Pit, depending on your level of outrage.

Ellen Cherry
MPSIMS Moderator

I do a monthly donation via credit card to the HSUS. I think it’s $20/mo now. They call me once a year to see if I want to up it, and if I can afford it, I do. They also send me free stuff from time to time, but otherwise I don’t hear from them which is nice.

I also buy my Christmas cards each year from the Humane Domain (the HSUS’s online store) and occasionally will buy a toy or treat for a pet or friend’s pet there. The cards are super expensive but they are beautiful (and usually feature a golden that looks like my Dolly) and I consider it my charity gift for the year. Some of their toys and shirts are not actually unreasonable.

My local Humane Society has a Paper Retriever box outside, so instead of taking my recyclables someplace closer or putting them on the curb, I drive them down to the HS.

I recently did some closet cleaning and found plenty of old dog junk that Dolly didn’t need anymore and bagged them up to donate. I also culled her toy collection - she clearly had stuff she no longer used but was in great condition. We made a lot of room in the house!

Hmm…I go through a lot of pillows (I buy cheap ones and switch them often). I should start donating those too!

I’ve thought about having Dolly donate blood before, but she’s got some medical problems so I’m not sure if it’d be worth it for us. Has anyone done this?

John, you are my very good friend and after reading the bad news and the tribute to Harvey, I confirmed that you are just as good a friend to the animals. D and I both read what you wrote and hurt right along with you and the SO.

We’re glad you put that little contribution to good use and thank you for posting this.

I am glad we are friends, John.

Bill and Dondra