Please help with a USB port problem.

The other day my comp wasnt finding the scanner that is typically attached to one of the usb ports. After a series of troubleshooting trials I removed it from my device manager and reinstalled the driver from a disk. For some reason it kept saying that it couldn’t find certain files so I just skipped them. (I know, I know). Anyway I did get the scanner to work but now it wont work with my palm pilot cradle. I typically just swap the two in and out with no problem. Is there something wrong with this USB port? As you can tell I know nothing about this stuff. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks…

Go into the system panel hardware list and delete the entire USB chain then restart the PC. Make sure you have your OS and software driver disks in case the system needs to re-initalize the drivers and can’t find them on the hard disk. When the system re-initialzes the USB port and attachments it should sort out the conflicts. Remove the Palm cradle before you delete the USB chain and do not plug your Palm back in until the scanner drivers are installed and working.