Please Name Some Environmental Action Groups

Besides the “Sierra Club”, I thought some SDopers can name some other Environmental Action Groups, Watchdogs, and/or Lobbies. Thanks, Jinx

**Green Peace **

Have you met google?

This is Robert Redford’s organization: http://www.savebiogems.org/. I think they do a pretty good job getting their concerns listened to by various governments around the world, including here in the U.S. They’ve done some really successful lobbying.

Isn’t Greenpeace written together? I wouldn’t note normally, but I saw it written separately (‘Green Peace’) on another occassion recently, and I was wondering whether I was wrong.

Does it have to be a respectable group? If not, then howzabout Earth First!

Otherwise, I like the Nature Conservancy.

Friends of the Earth. Wilderness Society. (both Aus. based AFAIK).

Lots. Greenpeace is the big one. There are ones such as Natural Resource Defense Council. The Google Web Directory has a whole bunch of them. Groups such as the Union of Concerned Scientists also may have what you are looking for.

Defenders of Wildlife. Their mission statement:

"Defenders of Wildlife is dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities. We focus our programs on what scientists consider two of the most serious environmental threats to the planet: the accelerating rate of extinction of species and the associated loss of biological diversity, and habitat alteration and destruction. "

I am a member, specifically of the portion of Defenders devoted to protecting wolves in the US. I donate x dollars per month to that fund.

Earth Liberation Front. That’s one of the environmental action groups whose actions have it listed on the FBI’s list of terrorist groups.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are groups like Ducks Unlimited who work to preserve wildlife habbitat so they will be able to continue to have ample amounts of wildlife to hunt. There’s quite a variety of groups that could fall under one definition or another of environmental action.