Policeman's Hat

What is the traditional name for the hard round hats that the police wear in the UK?

It’s called a bobby.

Bobbys helmet, I believe?

Pith helmet.

Or “tit”, as in:

WARLOCK: No, it’s not, man, we’ve got plenty more inside. Come in, take the tit off your head. [Warlock opens the door and Neil enters the house. Warlock leads Neil into the party as Neil gets ready with his truncheon.] Come on in, man.

No, that’s a policeman. A bit old fashioned these days, it tends to be used by elderly American tourists who think that’s what we still call them.

Nope. There are several styles of pith helmet, but a policeman’s helmet isn’t one of them. You were closer with “tit”, but not in polite company please.

They’re called –drumrollpoliceman’s helmets, so samarm was closest.

My brother - who originally asked the question - was convinced that the name was weird and not ‘policeman’s helmet’

Well…y’all, I just emailed Scotland Yard with this very question. Yes they do have an email addy for trivial matters.

Will report back if I get an answer.

While superficially similar, no Brit would refer to a policeman’s helmet as a “Pith helmet”. The latter is strictly tropical gear - though it’s a damn good GD question why that’s a “Pith” helmet.
In everyday life, it’s just a “police helmet” or a “policeman’s helmet”. What the tat vendors, who sell plastic versions to tourists, call it I don’t know.

Hardly any need to debate it – more a GQ. Anyway, according to this site they’re called pith helmets because they’re made using lightweight pith from certain tropical plant stems, or cork if available, trapped between rigid membranes inside and out.

F**k, GQ rather than GD.

Just for the record, the New South Wales police did refer to theirs as a “pith helmet”.

That’s because they were part of tropical military dress. If you click on the link I posted and look at the examples there, the fourth one down is a white pith helmet like the ones mentioned in your link. The same things were worn by British officers in Africa, India and other tropical locations, but not by coppers back home in Blighty.

My vote’s in for “bobby helmet” (scroll down the page a bit.)

Sometimes contemptuously and insultingly referred to as a Noddy Hat- why I don’t know.

It’s also only used by the police force in England & Wales. Not in Scotland or Northern Ireland (AFAIK).

Why? Because it’s ridiculous.

Also they are not used in England and Wales by officers who spend most of their time driving cars because there is not enough headroom in the vehicles.

Why not in Scotland and Northen Ireland, I don’t know.

But I do know that the dress uniform of at least one English regiment (?Royal Anglian) has an exact replica of the tit-hat, as does (IIRC) one of the Gibraltar regiments.

That site calls a truncheon a “nightstick” though, not to mentional all that “old chap”; “jolly good time”; “looks smashing” palaver :rolleyes:.

I reckon it’s up the boohai.

Just to pointout that policeman’s helmet means something quite, quite different in British Schoolboy English…

Toodly pip, old fruit, I say, the correct name for this headgear is derived from the “solar topee”, and is pronounced “are sole”.

Go up to any policeman in London and ask to see his “are sole” and I’m sure he’ll be only too happy to oblige.