Poll: Buyers remorse for Obama's ACA among those who liked the idea.

The question is rather simple: If you had been in congress a few years ago and would have voted in favor of Obama’s Affordable Care Act, knowing what you know now, would you like to go back and change your vote?

Yes or no. And why.

And this is only for those who were in favor of it’s initial passage. Thanks.

Sorry for the confusing post. It took me a while to figure out how to do the poll and now I can’t edit it. I guess that simplest thing to do is to just direct you to the poll itself. But I was trying to have everyone think about it as if they were voting congressmen/women.

No. Short of a nationalized single payer system, it was and remains the only game in town. So no regrets because it’s a step in the right direction.

Yep.

Voted “No, I thought it was a bad idea all along.” While c retain aspects of health insurance certainly needed fixing, this is n to the way to do it. At the very least, legislation of this magnitude should never be passed by on party exclusively.

Can you cast a vote, as well? Thanks.

Without ACA I wouldn’t be able to afford health insurance, which seems absurd for someone whose income is in the 72% percentile.

So, yes, I think it’s a good idea, although there’s still a very long way to go…

Was an advocate & still am. My gripe is that it is not socialized medicine with an option to ‘buy-up’ for those who think they want to. And hell yes I’d be willing to pay the taxes to support it.

I supported it before, and now that I have it, I support it even more. It has exceeded my expectations.

It’s not perfect but a perfect bill would never have passed. We have a giant step in the right direction that we can build upon.

Sort of this. I “supported” the ACA only because I knew UHC was not going to happen, but I “supported” in a very Cassandra-ish “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” kind of way.

Now, I don’t see good things happening for the foreseeable future. In fact, I kind of hope that the whole thing crumbles under its own weight and brings the insurance industry down with it, so that UHC is a more viable option, politically. I hope that Vermont is a shining beacon and things go well for them, so well that the rest of the country finally sees that it’s the way to go.

I don’t think it’s likely, mind you. But I hope.

So I don’t think that fits into any of the options in the Poll, sorry. If you think it does, tell me and I’ll click it.

I will admit, when it went to the Supreme Court, I was half hoping SCOTUS would declare the individual mandate unconstitutional, yet leave the rest of the law in place. That would have bankrupted the insurance companies, and usher in single payer as the only recourse.

If you have any positive alternative suggestions, GD is waiting for you.

You know very well why that happened, don’t you? :dubious:

I believed then, and still believe, that:
The previous status quo was broken and needed fixing (or replacing)
I’m not convinced that the ACA is the best way, or even necessarily a good way, to fix it. I hope, but am not sure, that it is overall a good thing. But something needed to be done, and I wish all the people badmouthing Obamacare would either tell me the better way it should have been fixed or just STFU.

Wish we had single payer, but given the political realities, this is better than we had any right to expect. In 20 years ACA is going to be as much of a no-brainer as Social Security and Medicare is for most people today.

I read in the paper this morning about some people, in their 50s, who were praying they could make it to 65 without medical expenses which would have bankrupted them. They are feeling far more secure today thanks to ACA. I’m sure so many cases of ACA saving people will be collected as to make opponents look like heartless monsters.

Yeah, the website was a botch, but Republicans shouldn’t be criticizing given the failure of their get out the vote software the last election.

Pretty much my opinion as well. I felt the ACA was a small step in the right direction but that’s still better than no progress. I also feel it’s terrible that the Republicans have turned this into such a partisan issue but that’s on the Republicans and it doesn’t indicate the act itself was bad.

Still a fan. The ACA is saving us $3000 this year.

I don’t have a dog in the fight because I’m on VA health coverage, so I don’t have to participate in ACA. But I supported then, and still do, as the best of a bad situation.

I would have preferred single payer, but this is what I got instead. Am I happy? I think the rollout has been messy, but a step in the right direction. I personally believe healthcare should be nationalized. I’ve been providing my own health insurance for most my working adult life (I’m self-employed.) It hasn’t cost me too much as, luckily, I’ve been a fairly healthy, youngish individual with no pre-existing conditions.

Who voted no? Only about 2% of people (1 person). I can see some drawbacks to the law though. Young people who are healthy will end up paying more for health insurance (if they are over 26 and/or make more than 400% the poverty rate in jobs that do not offer health care). And some peoples hours will be cut to avoid providing insurance. But for them, the law should be reformed at a later date to fix that loophole.

But aside from that, what has been so horrible about the law? Of the policies that were cancelled many were subpar, and the people can now get policies on the exchange.

Anyway, I’m still in favor of it and the good outweighs the bad by far. The law is very half assed though and needs major reform. I haven’t met many supporters who disagree with that. But half a loaf which may eventually become 3/4 of a loaf if much better than nothing.

Our system still needs massive reform. Using the public sector to negotiate prices, transparent pricing, more competition built into the system, comparative effectiveness built into the system, true universal coverage irregardless of income or job, etc. But those reforms will come later (if at all).