Poll: Debunk (Or Find Agreement In) The Astrological Romantic Compatibility Report

Subtitled: The Nancy Reagan / Jean Dixon vs. The Myth Busters Grudge Match Poll.

Disclaimer & Premise: I don’t buy into astrology. I can’t even recall the last time I read my horoscope. This morning at work, in search of distraction from the events of the last week, I clicked the horoscope section of the ‘My Yahoo’ page. After following the link, my desire to read sage-like insight was overshadowed by the fear I’d become one of Miss Cleo’s spam victims. I wasn’t really interested in reading a few general sentences about investing, family, work and relationships, but something caught my eye: Yahoo Romantic Compatibility Tools (Provided by Astrology.com). Before I clicked the link, I copied the shortcut, signed out of Yahoo and went back to the site. What I found was kind of interesting: some of those (admittedly general) results I read kind of stuck a chord. I heeded my skeptic / bean counter instincts and rated the results.

If you wanna give it a whirl, click this link => Romantic Compatibility Tool Link. If you wanna share your opinions of the results – please do.

Request: If you rather debate the accuracy of astrology - or jabber on about birth signs, moon signs, rising signs, et al. – Instead of posting a hijack in lieu of poll results, please search the threads in MPSIMS, GD & The Pit and post there.

After I read the few paragraphs, I decided to judge their accuracy. I could have been a real stickler and broken up the results into five specific groups, but instead opted to judge the results in Three Catagories: True / False / (IMO) Way Too General To Comment On

My Parsed Results of Romantic Compatibility: Libra / Cancer
True Statements:
[ol]
[li]”Though this pairing may progress more slowly than some others, and at first they may fear that they have little else in common than their mutual needs for companionship and love of beauty” [/li]Bingo
[li]”Neither Cancer nor Libra shy away from combining the powers of their emotion and their intellect, and both enjoy the occasional teary opera or sentimental heirloom” [/li]I’ll cede that point…though it is vague
[li]”Cancer appreciates Libra’s charm and tact, and Libra’s calm, cool diplomacy skills can tame even the wildest pouting fit a Cancer can muster up” [/li]How could I find disagreement in anything that refers to me as charming & tactful whilst making them sound brooding?
[li]”Libra, lover of aesthetic beauty and harmony…[/li]Guilty as charged
[li]”Libra can offer the sometimes emotionally impetuous Cancer some perspective on situations” [/li]Being so insightful and wise is such a cross we Librans must bear
[li]”Cancer needs to see the different sides of an issue, or this Crab may be prone to making decisions without knowing all the facts” [/li]Can’t find anything wrong with that statement
[li]”These planetary partners share a love of home, family and romance” [/li]I’ll cede 2 out of 3 on my end and 2 out of 3 on the other. I’m not a homebody and they weren’t very family oriented (due to distance)
[li]"These love partners share nurturing personalities and desire harmony over conflict” [/li]Well, I’ll admit there were a lot less disagreements in this relationship than I’m use to
[li]"This astrological pair brings a warmth and sense of stability to those around them.” [/li]Friends had made similar comments and observation – so I guess I can’t disagree
[li]"Librans, whose life approach is based on intellect, can be a bit snobbish and superior, and Cancer, who looks at life through emotional lenses, still has those easily bruised feelings to contend with” [/li]Intellectual approach comment aside - I’ll concur on my snobbishness and Cancer’s easily bruised feelings
[li]”Conflicts can arise in this relationship if Cancer seems too crabby or Libra seems too provocative”[/li]Guilty. Even though I’m not one to poke caged animals with a stick
[li]”In this relationship, there could be struggles over who wears the pants, who’s at the steering wheel, who’s really in control here”[/li]I’ll give this statement a true – Though I know most relationships have control issues
[li]”Libra can turn on their subtle charm and sense of fairness and go along with Cancer’s decision – as long as Cancer doesn’t get Crabby”[/li]I’m definitely the more easy-going partner
[li]“Best things: Their mutual appreciation of stability and domestic balance. Aesthetics matter to them, and they share a love of the comforts in life”[/li]Part 1 of the best things I’ll cede.[/ol]

False Statements:
[ol]
[li]”Both Signs seek a secure, assured relationship and will enjoy their shared appreciation for beauty and luxury – especially when it comes to their domestic environment” [/li]That’s only true for me, not ‘both’
[li]”Appreciate their Cancer mate’s nurturing instinct for a comfortable home and the security that comes with it” [/li]Our survey says: ‘Bwwwahhhh’
[li]”Cancer can help Libra cure their notorious indecision” [/li]Actually, I was more the decisive one…Balance doesn’t always equal indecisiveness
[li]”Libra sees life as a pure mental exploration, while Cancer’s experience is more tactile, more kinesthetic”[/li]Nothing could be further from the truth here. I was more the physical / they were more the mental
[li]”Cancer is most satisfied when their emotional needs are met, while Libra simply focuses on what stimulates their mind”[/li]Same as above – Not true in this case
[li]”Their similar tastes and loves make theirs a relationship of great dedication and harmony”[/li]Once again, more false than true – but generalizations that ignore the individual are what astrology is all about[/ol]

Too General To Really Be Saying Anything:
[ol]
[li]”They give to one another important things that each lacks” [/li]True…But who doesn’t?
[li]”These two can blend their energies harmoniously if they choose to work toward a common goal. [/li]True…But too vague.
[li]”The more they get to know one another, the better each individual in this Cancer-Libra love match will recognize and respect positive qualities in the other” [/li]Once again, that’s true for most people
[li]”Expression of sentiment and happiness are important to both” [/li]Unless you’re a misanthropic mute, this statement isn’t all that prophetic
[li]”At times, these lovers may find it difficult to understand one another”[/li]IMHO, More gobbley-goop
[li]”Both are initiators, which can, when their ideas and approaches differ, be quite a struggle”[/li]I guess that all depends on what is getting initiated[/ol]

So, a quick tally of the results:[ul]
[li]14 (Mostly) True Statements: Though rather general for the most part[/li][li]6 (Utterly) False Statements: And I know the ex would whole-heartedly agree[/li][li]6 (IMO Overly) General Statements: That are far to vague to comment on[/ul][/li]
So, if anyone wants to play along…Please do. There’s no need to itemize the results like I did (unless you want to) – Just a tally would be fine. You can select a current – or ex – It’s your call. Just try and select the person that you knew very well.

My Parsed Results of Romantic Capability - Virgo and Sagittarius

True statements

1. Virgo may demand perfection too soon for Sagittarius’s taste, but over time Sagittarius will appreciate a steady and reliable lover whose head isn’t always in the clouds.
    Pretty much spot-on.
  2. It can be hard for Sagittarius to go along with the pragmatic realism of Virgo.
    Yep.
  3. Sagittarius wants freedom, while Virgo needs financial strength and domestic stability.
    Certainly fits us. I’m the Virgo, by the way, and I’m tremendously stressed when I’m short of money or in a period of instability.
  4. It’s easy for these two to become interested in the things that the other does.
    This one’s teetering on the brink of becoming a Too General, but I’ll grant it.
  5. Virgo can offer Sagittarius a secure base and keep them on track with their dreams and ambitions. Sagittarius can add variety and new excitement to Virgo’s day.
    I am the anchor in the relationship, no doubt about that.

False Statements

1. Virgo may have a hard time accepting the Sagittarian energy.
    I haven’t noticed any Sagittarian energy, and haven’t had any problems accepting it.
  2. Virgo and Sagittarius can amuse each other by discussing a film or a book in great depth, Virgo focusing on the particulars and Sagittarius commenting on the overall picture.
    Not really. I’m the obsessor over films and books, not her. She’ll watch a film, say it’s bloody good, and rewatch it if it was really good, but thatäs as far as she wants to go.
  3. Sagittarius is motivated by pure feeling, while Virgo is more of a thinker.
    While I do consider myself a thinker, Pricegal certainly isn’t motivated by pure feeling.
  4. Virgo is ruled by Mercury and Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter. Mercury is about communication, and from Virgo’s perspective, analyzing. Jupiter is philosophy, higher learning and travel.
    Doesn’t ring true. Pricegal is no more philosophical, nor higher-learned, nor more loving of travel than I.
  5. What’s the best aspect of the Virgo-Sagittarius relationship? It’s the security they can give one another once they discover their similar lifestyles.
    We don’t have more similar lifestyles than anyone else.

Too General To Really Be Saying Anything

1. Sagittarius is an explorer who loves to socialize, while Virgo prefers to analyze Sag’s discoveries. Both enjoy talking about it with one another.
    I barely understand what this means.
  2. Virgo and Sagittarius have unique approaches to life; Virgo is more practical and less distracted, while Sagittarius is the energetic explorer.
    Same here.
  3. As long as they reassure each other that their love for one another is solid and real, their discords can usually be resolved.
    Fits pretty much any relationship that isn’t doomed from the start.
  4. Virgo and Sagittarius are both Mutable Signs. They can be spread themselves out over many different tasks, if necessary. Each has no trouble granting the other the freedom to enjoy things external to the relationship. They have a wonderful, complimentary style of interaction and have no trouble working together.
    Well…
  5. They make a wonderful couple once they can teach one another to look at the world through new eyes.
    Well…
  6. As long as they communicate and appreciate what they can learn, theirs will be a stable and happy relationship.
    Fits anyone.

Tally

5 True Statements
5 False Statements
6 General Statements

You had 28 statements, I had 16. They must favourise Libras or something.

Great idea, by the way.

I’ll use my relationship with my wife. I think I know our signs.

Aries wants to jump right in and get into it, while Taurus prefers to go much more slowly.
false. We both went pretty fast at the start.
loves to be wooed and romanced – two concepts that are basically foreign to straightforward, brash, totally unsubtle Aries
*mixed I’m way more romantic than she is, but I’m pretty straightforward and unsubtle. *

Taurus can help Aries rein in some of the more foolish, impractical impulses
false. I’m impulsive, but annoyingly practical

Aries can help Taurus be more spontaneous and adventurous
true

Taurus is sensual, patient and gentle.
two out of three

Aries is attracted to these qualities
true who the hell isn’t?

Aries sees Taurus as their rock, totally stable and loyal forever
true

Taurus sees Aries as possessing that quality they want more of – knowing when and how to grab on to life’s opportunities
false She couldn’t care less

Aries might sometimes play games with Taurus, playing off that Bullish laziness, or try to push Taurus into making hasty decisions, but the Bull can usually convince the Ram to slow down a bit
false. She’s not lazy, and has never been hasty. I haven’t slowed down.

Aries brings excitement to the relationship, true That’s me, a great ball of fire

Taurus brings security and romance.
mixed. I’m the romantic

When Aries wants instant gratification, Taurus can show just how sexy and sensual slow, deliberate movement can be
true Ok, but more the M/F split.

Aries is ruled by the Planet Mars (passion), and Taurus is ruled by the Planet Venus (love). Venus and Mars go well together; they represent the two necessary halves of the same relationship coin. The symbols are universally recognized as masculine and feminine, so this relationship is a good balance of these energies.
would apply to any relationship. But c’mon, are all Taurus guys feminine?

Sometimes Taurus can be possessive, which independent Aries won’t tolerate.
true One of the biggest causes of strife in our relationship

If Aries can assure Taurus that the relationship is strong and that Aries isn’t going anywhere, Taurus can be as flexible and tolerant of independence as Aries needs them to be.
false and contradicts the immediately preceeding statement.

Aries is not going to get their own way no matter how hard they try – so it’s a much better idea not to try at all.
true, perhaps. I still keep trying, though

Aries will get much further with finesse and charm (Taurus is a real sucker for both) than with argument, since Taurus never loses a debate
*true If never “admits to losing” counts" *

Both Signs want to be the leader in the relationship, so compromise is essential.
always true for any relationship, so it doesn’t count.

true 10
false 6
can’t count 5

Seems to me it mostly works on stereotypical male/female behavior.

I don’t have time for a full response but so, so much of it was really false. (Which is odd, because I am a very stereotypical Cancer, and Dan has enough typical Gemini traits to lend credence to the whole mess.)

This comment in particular made me laugh. “Gemini is always thinking ahead and Cancer is quietly supporting these ideas behind the scenes.” Its the complete opposite. Dan isn’t real big on forethought, so often I’m the one who has the plans and the preperation, while Dan is the ultimate in support. (I had never before experianced the amazing world of someone else drawing a bubble bath for me. His way of beginning to compensate for a rough day.)

My husband and I are both Libras and 90% of the analysis is true. Here is the way it started out:

We have a pretty amazing relationship (5 years) and I can count on one hand the number of times we’ve argued. We can see both sides of any argument and always at least know where the other is coming from.

We’re sickeningly happy. :smiley:

When Capricorn and Pisces join together in a love match, on the surface, it may appear to be opposites attracting. Capricorn is down-to-earth and regimented, with a very strong work ethic,

Umm, no!

while Pisces tends to be more emotional and dreamy, and takes on the needs of those around them.

Umm, no!

This couple is honest, and can be devoted to one another.

BFD.

They admire one another: Capricorn appreciates Pisces’s kind nature, and Pisces is drawn in by Capricorn’s quick wit and tenacity.

Give you one point.
This relationship may develop slowly, the two not necessarily recognizing its progression. But it will get stronger over time.

Umm, no!

The Capricorn-Pisces duo can really put their heads together and can be fulfilled by their partner. Difficulties can arise if Capricorn is too dominating for Pisces’s sensitive side.

Need some Windex for that crystal ball? Wow! Lose three points.
Pisces needs to understand that this is Capricorn’s style and not a personal attack. Pisces might not take too well to Capricorn’s stubbornness,

Give you double points on that one.

but can deal with it through patience and understanding. Pisces enjoys indulging Capricorn through their desire for domestic bliss, which combines well with Capricorn’s need for a neat, tidy home and material goods.

Take them both back there.
Capricorn is ruled by Saturn and Pisces is ruled by a combination of Jupiter and Neptune. Saturn is the planet of dedication, authority and responsibility. Higher learning, ethics and standards are ruled by Jupiter, while Neptune influences Pisces’s view of dreams and illusions. These three Planets complement one another because they have a good sense of compassionate justice and dedication.

A point to the astrologer here.

Capricorn is an Earth Sign and Pisces is a Water Sign. Earth Signs are about possessions, and the Capricorn-Pisces partners like to surround themselves with material objects that show off their sophistication. The Water Sign relies on emotion and intuition,

Lose two points.

making the Pisces the fueling force behind the relationship, but in a passive way. Shared love of a comfortable, yet fancy, home life ensures that this couple will aspire to a higher ground. Capricorn is a Cardinal Sign and Pisces is a Mutable Sign. While Capricorn tends to focus on one project at a time,

Lose two more points.

Pisces floats from one thing to another as the feeling strikes them. Because of their flexibility, Pisces may become interested in Capricorn’s projects.

Lose a point.
In turn, Capricorn needs to allow Pisces to enjoy many things at once and not take it personally when Pisces gets bored with something that Capricorn if focused on. Capricorn will stick with Pisces’s pursuits even after they’ve moved on to something else. In return, Pisces can sometimes show Capricorn that flexibility is better than a strong determination to do things a specific way.

Lose two more points.
What’s the best aspect of the Capricorn-Pisces relationship? It’s their unique blend of temperaments.

BFD.

Both partners enjoy sharing their lives with someone else, and both like to help the other achieve their goals. Their difference in temperaments makes theirs a highly compatible relationship.

More BFD.

Summary:

True Statements: four
False Statements: around fourteen
Too general: around four

Note: Score would have been markedly better if all predictions were reversed between the two of us.

This thread caught my eye, as I used to be an amateur aastrologer; it was my whole life, actually.

I did many compatiblity charts. Many times I had to fudge or make up stuff because astrology does not work.

I will second priceguys analysis of the Virgo/Sag pairing, as I am a Sag and my former husband was a Virgo.(he’s not anymore)
One comment though-Virgo’s are notoriously critical, way too much so, I hope to never be involved with one again.
I was another time and it was the same thing, total criticism.

1. *When Capricorn and Aquarius join together in a love match, they tend to bring out the most positive attributes of one another. *
    VAGUE
  2. *Capricorn is a more cautious, rational outlook on life, while Aquarius is insatiable, fostering an idealistic approach to nearly everything. *
    True
  3. *On the surface, they may seem like total opposites, but once these two set eyes on one another, an unbreakable bond is formed. *
    **True **
  4. *Both Capricorn and Aquarius can be opinionated to the point of seeming unwilling to compromise. *
    True
  5. *Capricorn thrives on organization and is always looking for consequences. *
    True
  6. *Aquarius is modern and finds routine troublesome and boring. *
    False – especially the modern part. I have known very many aquarius people, and none of them are modern – plus they are all afraid of change or doing new things.
  7. *Capricorn will find wonder in Aquarius, but may get frustrated trying to find a stitch of logic in their partner’s desultory, mystical mind. *
    Make that “consistent logic” rather than “Stitch”, and I agree, but as is, false.
  8. *Aquarius will not appreciate the domineering streak in their partner, but will find the solid base that Capricorn provides to be a great support and will be relieved that someone will help them to take care of their personal matters. *
    True
  9. *Capricorn and Aquarius are ruled by Saturn, and Aquarius is also ruled by Uranus. Saturn is a cool, traditional energy. This planet is very goal-oriented and devoted to progressive thinking. *
    True.
  10. *Capricorn and Aquarius merge their strengths to Aquarian revolutions or Capricornian social status. *
    **False ** – Capricorns are not worried about social status and Aquarius types are not about revolutions.
  11. Uranus is about all things different and unusual. Capricorn will show Aquarius a life based on organization, rationality and comfort. Aquarius can help Capricorn to dream more and possibly stand up for their beliefs.
    True
  12. *Capricorn is an Earth Sign and Aquarius is an Air Sign. Aquarius sees life as an random exploration, while Capricorn looks for a specific result. *
    **False ** – seems the other way around.
  13. *At times, these two may understand where the other is coming from. *
    Vague.
  14. *Conflicts can arise in this relationship if Capricorn becomes overly regimented or Aquarius drifts off too often into flights of fancy. *
    **False ** – never a source of conflict here.
  15. Both partners need to learn that they have a unique way of navigating life’s paths, and so have many things to share with and learn from one another.
    **vague **
  16. *Capricorn is a Cardinal Sign and Aquarius is a Fixed Sign. Both can be implacable, opinionated and stubborn. *
    I don’t know about the fixed sign stuff, but the other sentence is true!
  17. *Both partners have an intense drive to obtain objects of their desire. If they have a plan, they’ll stick to it until they have what they want. *
    **Vague ** – who doesn’t?
  18. Capricorn prefers to generate the ideas and to dole out the assignments. Aquarius is pleased to help Capricorn out if they are given a substantial role.
    True.
  19. *Conflicts may occur due to the pigheadedness of both Signs. *
    True, but a repeat. No points.
  20. *However, if they understand they’re working together for a common goal, it’s much easier for them to achieve noticeable results. *
    Vague.
  21. *What’s the best aspect of the Capricorn-Aquarius relationship? It’s the unbreakable bond they form when they come together. *
    True – but a repeat – no additional points
  22. *This relationship will be enlightening and a delight to both partners. *
    **True ** – I never learned as much about myself or the world around me than when with an Aquarius.
  23. Their love will be a valid asset, not only to themselves, but to those around them.
    Vague
    True = 10
    False = 5
    Vague = 6
    repeats = 2

Precisely. But then you say:

How does this rhyme with “astrology does not work”?

well…2 IS a small sample, but why take chances?
:wink:

Not to nitpick, but what do you mean, your former husband is not a Virgo anymore?? It’s not like we can be cured :wink:
Virgo & Virgo

When two Virgos join together in a love match, they are likely to structure their lives in beautiful conjunction. The merging of two incredibly practical, industrious sorts such as these creates an incredibly devoted and doting couple although public displays of affection will be rare. Though their shared perfectionism and skepticism could lead to conflict, the level-headed Virgo duo will quickly resolve any disputes and move on to more pleasant times.

True

The Virgo-Virgo relationship runs like a well-oiled machine, particularly for couples who live together or have children. There is never any confusion over the delegation of responsibility, and both partners feel quite comfortable with this arrangement. Making lists, balancing accounts and keeping the house and affairs in order are second nature to both partners. They share a discriminating palette and exquisite taste. As long as they aren’t too harsh with one another, their relationship will be fulfilling in every way.
True

Virgo is ruled by the Planet Mercury. This Planet represents communication, and indeed this is Virgo’s shtick. As a romantic couple, both are tuned in to one another’s frequencies. Virgo is often able to read the nuances of words and gestures and take in an analytical meaning. One of the strongest points of the relationship is open and honest communication. Also, the reasoning and logical abilities of two Virgos together can quite possibly solve all the world’s problems. They are a versatile and brilliant team.

True

Virgo is an Earth Sign, thus indicating a practical nature. Also, they are a couple who likes to be surrounded by and own elegant things, and who won’t settle for second best. It is worth it to hold out for something perfect, rather than to allow for anything less. Virgo exercises caution before moving forward, and they are the first to determine the best action for everyone to – even if it involves sacrifice. Pickiness makes the Virgo-Virgo team a wonderful romantic couple.

The stuff about practical is true, not so much about elegant

Virgo is a Mutable Sign. They are easily adaptable to any situation or any social setting. There is rarely conflict between them, but when it does arise it is quickly brushed over. Neither is too pushy or domineering, and they share an equal enthusiasm for one another’s pursuits. Virgo always follows through, and two of them together doubles this energy and makes a very happy couple.

True

What’s the best aspect of the Virgo-Virgo relationship? It’s their levelheaded and structured approach to life, work, fun and commitment. They’re incredibly compatible, and this obvious to them and to their friends. Together, they make a wonderful pair for pleasing one another and working on the perfect relationship.

True

Although I don’t believe in astrology, if I did I would agree that Virgos belong with other Virgos. Who else could put up with us???

Harriet(female Virgo’s are quite wonderful)
my former husband died, so he’s technically not a Virgo anymore.

The men I hve dated have been
Aries
Virgo
Sagitarius
Gemini
Libra
Virgo

I am a Sag.
I got along with them all except the Virgos.
Go figure.

Ours was Sagittarius & Taurus. It was full of vague and general descriptions. Rather than go down the list, I’ll just say what I came away from it with:

Taurus is boring and logical, likes to stay home. Sagittarius is a flighty nuthatch, likes to go out and do things. If you don’t kill each other first, you may come to appreciate your differences and come up roses.

We’re somewhere between the killing and the roses.