Poll: do you make your bed?

Yes, about 95% of the time, but no bouncing coins. If there’s another person in the house it will get made.

I use my bed as a seat and recliner, and for those uses I find it more comfortable made. But my bedclothes arrangement is the traditional one of lower sheet, top sheet, pillow, blankets and cover: it’s a lot of extra padding if made and a mess if not.

If they’re like my mother’s linen tablecloth they’re great. Why wouldn’t they be? That thing needs ironing, but it’s a lot nicer than mixed cloth or low-quality cotton.

In my experience linen is very stiff and often abrasive, not smooth like cotton. Blends are indeed an abomination.

This. The cats rule the bed, which I borrow temporarily. They prefer it unmade. I don’t even own anything resembling a bedspread.

For those, like me, who have never heard this word:

Helpful definitions here:http://www.bedlinenonline.com.au/info_doona_duvet_quilt.php

I need to have multiple layers over me, top sheet, thin blanket, nylon blanket, cotton blanket. During the night my temperature goes up and down, and I’m pushing aside a layer of cover, then another, then adding it back, then I’m too hot, then cold, etc. One big cover would not work.

Speaking of top sheets, I bailed on 'em. From the time I was a child I would push away the top sheet in my sleep. Always. By morning the sheet would be bunched at the bottom of the bed or off the bed completely…anywhere but on me. So many years ago I gave up. I have three duvets of three different weights and depending on the season I use those with thin sheet cotton covers. When it’s cold I use all three. But no top sheets.

Which actually works out nicely, the top sheets go on to be used for all kinds of things, from dog bedding to rags.

Oh, and I have almost 20 pillows on my bed, ranging from ancient little feather pillows that have lost 75% of their fill to a 5-foot body pillow, from crunchy to spongey to, of course, smooshy feather.

My bed is very cozy.

I’m almost compulsive about it. As in, even if I’m going to be late for work, I still have to at least pull the duvet up and put the pillows in order. I get irrationally annoyed if I have to come home to an unmade bed. Not that I’m a neat freak or anything, it just makes such a difference in the look and feel of the room.

I typically do. It takes about one minute to pull up the covers and make it look presentable. I can’t stand the messy way it looks otherwise. A lot of week mornings I don’t make the bed in the morning though. I do it when I get home from work. I like getting into a made up bed at night.

OTHER - Husband goes up to bed early (like 7 PM) at night, TOTALLY jacks up the sheets and comforter, sleeps until about 10:00 PM, then comes downstairs which is when I go up (bad snoring issue he refuses to address). I basically remake the entire bed, then go to sleep - I cannot sleep on totally jacked up sheets/a comforter. Since I don’t really move around when I sleep, when I get up in the morning, I just pull the comforter up over the pillows and sheets to avoid getting border collie fur all over them (Chester sleeps there when I’m not around). Then life happens. Come around 7:00 PM, the husband goes up and the whole things starts all over again.

I stopped making the bed when I started living alone. I actually find it comforting to find the same perfect ‘spot’ on my pillow that I left when I woke up that morning.

That being said, I change my sheets every three or four days, so there aren’t that many days I live with an unmade bed.

Since my husband and I get up at different times, the bed doesn’t get made in the morning at all. We leave it all rumpled for the cats to nap in all day. I typically redistribute pillows and bedding at bedtime (since I live with an inveterate bedding thief) to their normal and customary distribution.

On the other hand, we don’t have a duvet or quilt, just sheets and a thin fleece blanket, and the whole lot gets a full wash every week.

Even when I lived alone, I didn’t make the bed in the morning, but did straighten it out just before I got into bed. I like the covers to be relatively orderly when I get into bed, but I don’t give a rat’s ass about how they look.

No, I’m against making the bed. I believe its busywork crafted by moms and people bigger than you to instill a sense of duty and normalcy and neatness, which, while admirable, shouldn’t be done by lying to kids about the real reason. Say simply that making the bed is stupid, but it will create a good habit in you, is enough for me. Pretending that bed making is in any shape or form part of the grand plan of the universe and turning chaos into order is something patronizing and insulting once I found out about it

I cant make the bed until I get home from work, when I get up in the morning Mr. NVME is still in it. I learned the airing out, beating the sheets and quarter bounce from my mom, who was a maid for a couple of years.

As for beating the sheets, I strip the bed of the top sheet, comforter, what not, straighten out the fitted sheet to make sure it has not crawled away from the corners and using the flat sheet, beat the bed in a sweeping motion to clear it of debris. My mom has always done this, I grew up watching her do it this way and now I do it this way. I fold awesome towels too, no chance of trying to be unique to my mothers methods as the towels would be returned with a curt “do it the way I like it” tone. Raising my kids to fold and make beds this way as well.

I consistently make mine. Mostly a cleanliness issue, I don’t want dust and dirt and ladybugs (yes I have a lot of them wandering around during the winter) getting under the covers, and it also just makes the room look neater.

What’s that hum that I hear in the air? It’s the sound, coming from all over the world, of cats and dogs snoring in their owners’ beds (either on top of the covers or under them) while said owners are away at work.

Thank Og, a sane one!
When I’m tired, I’d much rather flop into bed & just pull the blanket over me. If I know I gotta take off a bunch of pillows, & a comforter, & unfold my blanket, well I don’t need to do anything other than lie back on the sofa so G’nite, I’ll sleep here.

Of Course I do.

I make it before I shower in the morning. After I do, I set out my clothes for the day on it, make sure everything from the prior day is in the hamper, and then I’m off to take my shower.

My cat helps by pointing out wrinkles in the covers that shouldn’t be there. She’s Very picky that way.

I’m not sure how you can take the stuff off to launder it and then not make the bed by putting it back on. The only day I “make” my bed is when I do the laundry and therefore wash the linens. Everything comes off, and when everything goes back on, well of course I’m going to put the sheets and blankets on evenly, which by default means I have to make the bed or I can’t tell if it’s been put on evenly. After that it’s a free for all until next laundry day. (I mean, when I get into bed I literally flop the sheet and then the blankets over top of me so that it’s effectively “made” anyway). So how the heck are you people picking “never make the bed” as opposed to “only with fresh linens”?

Then again it wasn’t until recently that I found out tons of people sweat all night and that’s why they feel a need to “air out” stuff or wear clothes to bed. So maybe a ton of people also just kind of drop a comforter on top of the bed and don’t even tuck the tail in at the bottom, so they never effectively “make” their bed…(but no top sheet…??? The comforter would get totally disgusting then from being rarely washed because comforters are hard to wash…? Maybe everyone uses a duvet but me…? Bed habits are confusing.)

I have no idea what you mean. Why would you remove the pillows and comforter? Why would you use a comforter and a blanket? Why would your blanket be folded instead of already spread neatly over the bed.

I admit this one has me puzzled, too. Am I the only pet owner here that has a bedroom door?

This I do get. The people who “never” make the bed change the pillow cases, put on the bottom sheet, spread a top sheet and blanket atop that, and call it done. They don’t spread the top sheet and blanket out evenly and tuck them in ever.

It’s not coming from my place, the dog lives in the back yard 24/7 x 365

Okay, so you don’t let your pets sleep in your bed. Your point would be…?