Pool crashed into basement. How do we fix this?

I think people in this thread are being too hard on Nickel, Please. You can’t hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn’t we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn’t this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you - isn’t this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can say whatever you want to Nickel, Please, but I’m not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

“Forget it, he’s rolling!”

Actually from the narrative in the OP it appears that the fraternity as a whole is not incompetent, but that Nickel, Please!? done fucked up BIG time.

Even if it hadn’t crashed through the floor, I’m wondering how they planned to drain the pool afterwards.

You’re assuming facts not in evidence, i.e. that anyone with a brain actually planned this out.

Yer gonna have to ask for a LOT of nickels.

A lot of above ground pools have a place where you can connect a hose to direct the escaping water.

people are going to fine out.

you need to have floor joists to span longer than the broken ones. these need to be delivered on a long flat bed truck. that will get noticed.

you need to find a lumber yard that can schedule a delivery for 2AM. that is the first step.

duplicate post

Nickel Please?! which of these do you want to see on the evening news?

Bill Bubbly reporting for channel 4 news:

Bambi Bummer reporting for channel 4 news:

This article Why Don’t Colleges Get Rid of Their Bad Fraternities? - The Atlantic talks about the recommendations that national fraternity organizations make to the individual chapters about how to handle problems. The second step is:

“2. A call is made to the fraternity’s crisis hotline or the national headquarters, no matter the hour: “Someone will be available. They would much rather hear about a situation from you at 3:27 a.m. than receive an 8:01 a.m. telephone call from a reporter asking for a comment about ‘The situation involving your chapter at ____.’ ””

Woosh. :slight_smile:

Brush up on your classics Animal House

I got the reference.

It’s just a pool. A lot easier than getting a dead horse out of the dean’s office.

You’re done like dinner, kiddo.

Burn the frat house down, & start from scratch.
Also, get smarter members.
Also, get a smarter you.

BTW–DO NOT burn down the frat house.
But all the rest, yeah.

Don’t listen to these losers, Nicks. Slap some drywall on that baby and bring the pledges in to test the structural integrity. I mean, you got the perfect hazing setup, amirite?

On a heavier note, in the incredibly remote possibility that any of this is actually real, there’s no way to paper over this one. Be an adult instead of a fratter, fess up and get things fixed.

I would really like to know what search terms you put in Google about this “situation” that brought you to the Dope. Talkin’ to the void, ain’t I? Do I hear really, really faint laughter?

You really have no choice except to accept the consequences.

The building is likely dangerous in it’s current state, which means evacuating and making living arrangements for everyone, something you couldn’t hide from the outside world, also, there’s no way to do the necessary repairs on the sly.

Who owns the building, by the way? If it belongs to the college, then legally they have to be told. Even if it’s just on their property, I would think that they have to be told, If it’s owned by the national fraternity. then they have to be told.

You’re going to have to suck it up and take the consequences.

This all assumes that this is real, of course. I’m wondering if this is stealth advertising for some new frat house movie, or someone looking for story ideas.

Nickel, Please?, also note that if someone gets hurt, you and your parents are going to be stuck with the liability. Fraternity nationals routinely hang their members out to dry when they do something stupid like this. They won’t even let you be covered by their liability insurance. So, if this is real, you had better start acting like a grown up real quick.

Do you want to bankrupt your family over this?

To the OP, you’re not alone.

Yeah, that’s one of the points made in the article I posted a few posts above.