Pop culture quotes you've used IRL. Target missed it. Someone else caught it.

For 15 years or so, when my hubby coughs, I’ll say, “Do you have cough due to cold?” He woul say, “Just allergies”.

One day recently, we stumbled upon a rerun of Forest Gump (autocorrect turned that into Forest Gumption ???) and that scene came up and hubby said, “Ooooohhhhh! So that’s where you got that!”

Oh yeah, and this one my whole family does, my dad started it, from an old comedy I think,

Phone rings
Pick up, “hello?”
“Is this the party to whom I am speaking?”

Nice. The Tom Hanks/Dan Ackroyd movie. I’ve used “I’m Emil Muzz. And I’m a PAGAN.”

I tend to use this when someone suggests something that doesn’t work.

Usually, though, I’m the “someone else” who catches the pop culture reference.

Lily Tomlin as Ernestine.

That’s awesome.

(go to 5:40here if you don’t get it).

*Background - a youth camp (15-18 year olds) in the arid zone of Australia, in order to keep the camp running on time and not use too much water, nightly showers are pretty quick and twice during the 10 day camp we have hair-washing day.

All the kids line up wearing swimmers, shorts, t-shirst etc, and with their shampoo. We have a chair to sit on and a hose hooked up to a water-tank that we can pump to and fill from a nearby river.

The kids get their hair wet-down, go to the back of the line, apply shampoo and then when they get back to the front of the line get their hair rinsed out - repeat for conditioner. It often ends in a waterfight and lots of hilarity.*

One day I was using the hose and one of the girls complained when we reminded her to put sunscreen on after she had dried off and gotten changed.

Me: “It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.”
Her: :confused:
Other staff :smiley:

I’ve always wanted someone to do the first line while I was around so I could provide the follow-up. Never happened unfortunately,

Truly epic. I use lines from Animal House all of the time, but that was the first, and so far only, time that particular opportunity presented itself.

There was one that I didn’t get, and it kind of pissed me off when I finally figured it out.

I was newly divorced, at my 30 year high school reunion (in 2001). As far as I could determine, of the several hundred alum that showed up, only a couple of us were single, and only one was a woman. So I tended to hang out with her most of the night. In one conversation, she said to some of our classmates, “And you remember Sean, he’s my stalker for the evening.” I didn’t get the reference, and thinking that I was getting too creepy, avoided her for the rest of the night.

A couple of years later, I finally saw the first episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer), and when Cordelia introduces Jesse to some people at the Bronz using that line, I literally smacked myself in the head and said out loud, “So that’s why she said that!” The tragic part is that I had seen all of the Buffy episodes except that one, so I missed it when I shouldn’t have. I did talk to her about it shortly after that, and she said she was kind of sad that I didn’t hang around with her a little longer. I apologized for not getting such a softball toss.

I suppose this was a reference to Battleship Potemkin?

I love that movie, and I often quote Forrest too.

I know that IMDB has the line as you wrote it, but I would swear he says, “You caught yourself a cold?”

Oh well, I have a happy excuse to watch it again. :slight_smile:

Insert “Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor” into almost any internet thread and watch while half the people involved call you stupid.

Just the other day, I got into ‘trouble’ in a baseball thread when someone said “Can we all just enjoy the fact we won it all last year” and I said, “The moment’s over, meat.”

Almost every time someone says they have a phone message for me I ask “Is it about my cube?”

They rarely know what I’m talking about, but sometimes an innocent bystander will giggle.

You mean you don’t reference Russian silent movies from the 1920s all the time?

непостижи́мый

I’ll agree that it is a rather obscure reference, but perhaps not as obscure as you think.

I only took a 100 level art class in college, and we spent a good portion of a lecture watching a clip of it and discussing it, and that was enough for me to get the connection between stairs and Cossacks.

I’d imagine that people who have gone to film school would be even more familiar with it.

:wink:

Sure but that’s more of an inside “joke” than a pop culture reference.

It’s actually a fairly well known scene. The Godfather and The Untouchables both include a baby carriage scene as a nod to it, and Brazil has a cleaning cart go down the stairs that is also a reference to it. If you are into movie trivia at all you’ve probably come across it before.

Was that first on Rowan and Martin’s Laugh In?

I use the similar “Noonan!” from Caddyshack. The IT guy got it.

I work in a very large IT department. Today a group of us were discussing the recent thefts of some unsecured equipment. Most folks expressed amazement that this could happen here. I, on the other hand, am totally not surprised. So I said “you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany”. I got some interesting looks and then one guy said “we must be cautious”. We both laughed but didn’t bother to explain to the others. Yeah, I know, IT folks who didn’t get a Star Wars reference, but these weren’t real tech types so I should have known that was going to go right over their heads.