Pop psychology quiz

Here’s an odd little personality quiz that a psych major gave to me & some friends at a cocktail party once. Sheerly for fun. Read the following questions and post the first answers that come to your head. Don’t think about them too long, just a moment or two for each one. Be as descriptive as you can for each answer though.

Anyway, you are taking a solitary walk down through a wooded area you don’t know too well. As you walk along, you see several things:

1. First thing you see is a house. Describe it.

2. Walking further down the road, you see a dog. Describe it.

3. Next thing you see is a body of water. Describe it.

4. Finally, you come across a brick wall, one that stretches way off into the distance in both directions (so you can’t go around it.) A dense fog has come in so that you can’t retrace your steps, and can’t see what’s beyond the wall. There’s a ladder against the wall, but from the position it’s in, you can tell that once you’ve climbed across it, you won’t be able to get back the way you came. Describe your reaction.

Your answers to these questions should give some insight into your personality. I’ll post what they mean tomorrow afternoon. (And if you have heard of this, and know what they mean, don’t reveal it! Let’s let folks post their honest responses first.)

It’s red with white shutters and it’s really small, with only one room. There are steps leading to the door.

1. Walking further down the road, you see a dog. Describe it.

It’s medium sized and brown, with big floppy ears, and it’s running around all happy.

1. Next thing you see is a body of water. Describe it.

It is small like a pond, and it has ripples. It is surrounded by greenery and long grass that is waving in the wind.

1. Finally, you come across a brick wall, one that stretches way off into the distance in both directions (so you can’t go around it.) A dense fog has come in so that you can’t retrace your steps, and can’t see what’s beyond the wall. There’s a ladder against the wall, but from the position it’s in, you can tell that once you’ve climbed across it, you won’t be able to get back the way you came. Describe your reaction.

I’m really freaked out because I am scared I’ll never see my family again, and I hope I won’t fall into a pit of nothingness. It reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.
Okay…I’m really interested to see what this says about my personality.

1. It’s a white house with black shutters. Two stories. Wood trim. Shingled black tarpaper roof. Has four windows, two on each floor. Has a chimney.

2. A medium-size black dog. A labrador.

3. It’s pretty and blue and wet. It’s a lake. It’s a sunny day.

4. I’d climb up the ladder, stand up on the top of the wall, then lift up the ladder and place it flat on the top of the wall. Then look down and decide what to do from there.

I think I heard a version of this in elementary school on the playground, but the objects we had to describe were a bit different. I forget what they all were supposed to mean anyway.

1. The house is a one room, one story (plus an attic probably) log cabin, in the classic iconic simple house shape: cube with a rectangular prism for the roof. Sparse windows with no coverings, white frames. Paler brown very plain front door with two concrete steps leading up to it. Chimney, brick, not in use.

2. The dog is a golden retriever, floppy ears and all. It’s a happy looking dog! It probably barks and wags it’s shaggy tail at me.

3. It’s a lake. I actually conjured up the image of a lake we frequented when hiking in my childhood, in the mountains. Water’s slate blue, reflects the sky and trees on the shore alright. There are a few small personal boats adrift in it, and a moderate sized wooded island in the center. All the trees are some sort of pine. The shore is pebbly, and small shiny sun fish swim in loose schools at the edge.

4. I take a step on the ladder, and decide not to try it since it’s a bit wobbly and I suck at heights. So instead I put my left hand against the wall and follow it to wherever it may lead me to the right.

In the version from elementary school, I think there was a tree you were supposed to describe at some point.

Edit: Typos.

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Non-descript Road
You see dog, next to it is a sign. “Three-headed dog, cheap. Used to be fierce guard dog, now just slobbers over everyone. Very friendly, upkeep low – one dragon carcass a day should satisfy it. Contact Boris Flathead, Keeper of the Tomb.”

Next to Reservoir
You are next to a wide reservoir. Floating along the river is a buoy.

1. Finally, you come across a brick wall, one that stretches way off into the distance in both directions (so you can’t go around it.) A dense fog has come in so that you can’t retrace your steps, and can’t see what’s beyond the wall. There’s a ladder against the wall, but from the position it’s in, you can tell that once you’ve climbed across it, you won’t be able to get back the way you came. Describe your reaction.

>on lamp
>spray grue repellent
>on me

I’m game!

Very brown, and lived-in. Almost invisible in the wooden surroundings due to its construction. Largely of bowling-ball-sized irregular rocks held together by masonry. Wooden roof and doors, with a pile o’ wood for choppin’ out back. There’s smoke coming out of the chimney, which means that someone’s cooking!

Actually, IRL, I’m not the biggest fan of dogs. Not because of bad experience, but just because I generally consider them smelly, dumb, loud, and dirty. This dog, I suppose, is on the higher end of dogkind. It’s a slightly thin dog of indeterminate breed (probably a mutt.) But it looks content, walking around in the forest with a purpose, wagging its tail. It looks as if it has somewhere to be. Dinner, perhaps? Maybe it smells the aroma from the house, which is probably where its master lives.

It’s a large lake with a pier off the path. A great place to go fishing, either in a boat or on the pier. Not because it’s great fishing or anything, but because the place is just so darned relaxing. Trees grow almost to the edge of the bank, with great branches overhanging the edges of the lake. If there weren’t a few mosquitoes about, you’d enjoy a nap. And if the ground weren’t damp, you’d sleep outside in the summer, listening to the water lap on the shoreline.

Seeing as I have no idea what’s across the wall, and I already know what’s on my own side, I figure that I’ll climb as far on the ladder as possible to try to peek over the wall while still retaining the option to go back. Assuming I can’t see anything on the other side due to the fog, I’d climb back down to my original side, for three reasons. First, “Better the Devil I know, than the Devil I don’t.” Second, I know for a fact that I’d find my way back home on my side eventually, even if it takes me a while because I’ve gotten lost, whereas if I jump over, I might get stuck. Third, the forest house, dog, and lake seem pretty nice. So if worse comes to worst, I’ve always got a peaceful place to camp at while planning what to do next.

Also, if it’s light enough, and if I didn’t think it belonged to anyone, I’d take the ladder with me.

Two story wood and brick house with a large front porch around the front and side of the house and a porch spring. Obviously currently occupied; tended to, but lived in. Large, but cozy.

Mutt, medium size, floppy ears, looks like it has some cocker spaniel in it, white with brown and black spots. Tongue hanging out and tail wagging, very friendly.

Large clear pond surrounded by willows, still water, dragonflys.

Refuse to accept I can’t get back over if I want to. Climb on top, throw the ladder over and climb down.

Small, cottage-like. Two storey. Whitewashed wood panels, weatherworn. Peaked, shingled roof. Two medium-sized windows to either side of the green wood, inlaid door, which itself has a small window. A single, small window appears above the door, as does a porch light below it. There are two stone steps leading to the front door.

Black lab, fully grown. Red collar. It sits, panting as it regards me curiously.

A small, sparkling lake, kidney-shaped, perhaps a mile and a half across, surrounded by dense forest. There are no boats on it, and the shoreline closest to you is short and speckled with driftwood, tree branches, and rocks.

Presuming that the ladder is permanently affixed to the wall (so that it can’t be hoisted up and over to the other side while you’re at the top) I’d climb to the top, just to peer over to the other side. Without any certainty of where the other side leads however, I’d probably just climb back down, mark my spot somehow, and follow the wall first in one direction and then the other, just to see if either side leads anywhere. Failing that I’d return to my marked spot and wait for the fog to pass so I could return whence I came.

Sounds fun!

1. First thing you see is a house. Describe it.**
    It’s red with beige shutters, cape cod style. There are 4 windows visible and a small garage with 2 spots for cars. Big lawn with a swingset.
    He is a brown mutt with black muzzle and ears, scruffy but cute. He has wire terrier hair and medium shepard build.

**3. Next thing you see is a body of water. Describe it.
A lake with a sandy/rocky shore and some weeds growing around the edges. The beach is well worn to sand and the shores are lined with pine trees. Some larger rocks poke out of the shallows but it is mostly still and quiet.

**4. Finally, you come across a brick wall, one that stretches way off into the distance in both directions (so you can’t go around it.) A dense fog has come in so that you can’t retrace your steps, and can’t see what’s beyond the wall. There’s a ladder against the wall, but from the position it’s in, you can tell that once you’ve climbed across it, you won’t be able to get back the way you came. Describe your reaction.

Nowhere to go but up! I would climb the ladder and attempt to see over the wall or see back the way I came. If all else failed and I got to the top I think I would try to safely climb over and explore that side. If I got the the top and it wasn’t safe to jump down the other side I would probably then just climb back down the ladder and continue to walk alongside the wall until I reached the end or had better visibility.
I’m curious to see what the interpretations are.

White, with dark blue shutters, a a porch painted dark blue. Well-kept very green lawn, with white daffodils lining the walkway. There is a mahogany-colored swing sitting on the porch. I could go on…

Dachshund. Big, floppy ears, almost black eyes, and a red collar.

**An endless beach with warm white sand and a pristine sea. The waves are gently lapping at the shore. Not a soul is present except myself. **

4. Finally, you come across a brick wall, one that stretches way off into the distance in both directions (so you can’t go around it.) A dense fog has come in so that you can’t retrace your steps, and can’t see what’s beyond the wall. There’s a ladder against the wall, but from the position it’s in, you can tell that once you’ve climbed across it, you won’t be able to get back the way you came. Describe your reaction.
    Depends on how safe I feel where I’m standing. Considering I’m in a nice suburban neighborhood I don’t imagine anything particularly harmful can lay on the other side of that wall. I check my body and mind for any instinctual impressions of danger, double-check the wall for ''No Trespassing" signs and, if all clear, over the wall we go. What the hell, I’m just chilling on the beach anyways.

A small cottage made entirely out of bricks, except for the roof, which is a pleasant yellow.

It’s a german shepard.

A semi-small lake that is surrounded by trees. The water is dark black, but no riples appear on the surface.

I would immediately climb up the ladder and go over the wall, since I like adventure and I think my current life is boring, and venturing out over a wall is certainly…intersting.

A huge old Victorian, a little bit slouched, lots of floors and windows and a porch around the outside.

Scruffy looking mutt-dog off on its own, skinny, growling

Ditch at side of road full of water

Climb partway up the ladder and evaluate whether to go on or slip back down while I still can.

Exactly like what you’d find in a child’s picture of a house. Rectangle with a triangle on top.

The dog is has had its hind legs transplanted to its front legs, so it is walking around upsidedown on four legs, with its tail in the air.

It looks like a body. Except it’s made out of water. Think, person, except water instead of skin. Oh, and its hair is made out of water, too. And it’s alive. And talking, though I can’t understand them because, well, have you ever tried to listen to someone talk underwater when you’re not?

This makes no sense. If I climb up the ladder, I’ll be able to climb back down it, unless we’re dealing with crumbling, magical ladders. Obviously magical crumbling ladders don’t exist, so I’m fairly safe climbing up it and climbing back down, while I wonder where this dense fog rolled in from, and how I managed to miss it. Also, I’d try to remember what I did with my compass, and why I was out walking in this area without one.

Off-white, with a brown tar roof and a wooden deck with dirty steps.

Yorkshire terrier, long tan and black/blue coat. He’s got a scraggly coat and is yippng at me as I walk along the sidewalk.

It’s a pool in someone’s backyard; above ground and wobbling with clear blue water.

I wouldn’t climb it; you never know what’s waiting for you in the fog. I would probably be frightened and run back the way I came.

1. The house in constructed from random pieces of other houses, and no side, wall, or window looks the same. It appears to tilt to one side as though it the bubble gum holding it together may give way causing it to collapse upon itself, and there’s one stone chimney ontop alongside three other spinning mechanical contraptions with unidentified purpose. Despite it’s appearance as a serious hazrd, the house is actually very well kept with fresh painted walls, a manicured garden, and lovely vines growing up along one side.

2. He sits alongside the road and stares at me. When I call him forward to pet him on the head he responds by standing up, and sticking his head further out to stare me down. It’s a large black dog, that, despite his apparent attitude, doesn’t give off any kind of threatening air. Once I give up on him and commence walking he sits back down.

3. Black, murky, and still lake. I had to walk off the road and down a steep hill just to see it. It’s surrounded by dark trees shedding their bright orange leaves, though not today. Nothing distrubs it.

4. Climb the wall. Worse case scenario, I stay awake all night walking. Tomorrow will bring more light.

It’s a red house with white trim. Two story. There’s a white fence around it and a flowering tree to the right of the front door (which is in the middle of the house). There’s a black, shingled roof. The owners have planted lots of flowers. Sheesh, this is starting to sound like a schlocky ginger bread house. I’m not that glurgy–I swear!

Black and white border collie. It’s happy. Comes right up to me with tail wagging.

It’s an ocean with a rocky beach. There are some high cliffs in front of it. It’s kind of hazy and overcast, so everything is getting rather grey. There’s a chilly wind. Not sure how I got so quickly out of the woods and onto the shore…

*Can’t I swim around it? I was just on the beach!

I’d climb the ladder to see what’s on the other side. I’m not sure why I couldn’t just pull the ladder up after me to use on the other side. I guess I’ll have to assume that the ladder is attached to the wall in some way.I’d be a bit apprehensive about jumping down. How far a drop is it? If the drop is okay, I wouldn’t be too nervous about going to the other side. It’s not like I’ll be jumping into Dracula’s Kingdom or something.

Of course, that assumes I don’t still have the border collie with me. Not sure what I’d do then.*

It’s an old house made of logs and stone. Simple construction, two stories, small, sturdy. There is a chimney with smoke, a screened in backporch with a light, wooden shutters on the windows.

He’s long-haired, black and white, medium-sized and appears to be part mutt, part border-collie. His ears perk up and he wags his tail as I approach, but he doesn’t move from where he is standing.

It’s the pale green sea curling around driftwood and white sand. The tide is going out. The sounds are more subtle. Reflections of the sun look like diamond chips on the surface.

1. Finally, you come across a brick wall… Describe your reaction.

I muse about the times when I was young and would have taken the ladder without a second thought. I consider my age and the friendly light and warm fire at the house I passed. I also think about hunkering down against the wall and waiting until the fog lifts. Something in the salt air reminds me of the poetic fate of one George Gray and I go over the wall just one more time.

1. First thing you see is a house. Describe it. It’s a cottage with an uneven peaked roof and a slight upward curl to the end of the longer angle. Stone fronted with a pretty carved wooden front door. A gleaming window on either side of the door and flowers in beds under the windows.

2. Walking further down the road, you see a dog. Describe it. Long and low with soft curly brown fur and warm smiling eyes. Curly tail.

3. Next thing you see is a body of water. Describe it. An ocean with shaded turquoise water and gold and white sand. Looking down at the bubbling surf breaking.

4. Finally, you come across a brick wall, one that stretches way off into the distance in both directions (so you can’t go around it.) A dense fog has come in so that you can’t retrace your steps, and can’t see what’s beyond the wall. There’s a ladder against the wall, but from the position it’s in, you can tell that once you’ve climbed across it, you won’t be able to get back the way you came. Describe your reaction. Look around and make sure that it is the only way, and then climb the ladder and cross over. I feel odd, as if I’ve left everyone and everything behind me, but I need to go on. It seems I ought to be more upset but instead just shrug and climb with a “Guess I’ll see what comes next” attitude.

1. White house,one story,white picket fence,flower garden in front.

2. Its dead

3)Very big,can’t see across,choppy waves.

1. First thing I thought of was to listen to some Pink Floyd.

I just want to note that my girlfriend gave me a similar test last week, but instead of describing the objects, I was supposed to draw them on a piece of paper. The items were slightly different, too. I had to draw a house, a tree, a body of water, a road, and a snake.

As she explained afterwards, the house was supposed to represent myself, the sun was supposed to represent my mother, the tree was supposed to be my father, and the snake was supposed to be my sex life (!) I can’t remember the meanings of the road or the water.

She told me that her friend was actually given this test by some kind of counselor prior to his cancer therapy some time ago (which was, fortunately, a success.) He then showed her the test to demonstrate that it was bullshit. I’d have to concur.