Pork loin top roast + slow cooker + X = Yummy!

But what is X?

More seriously, I’ve got a 2.52lb pork loin roast thawing, and I’d like to be able to put it in the crock pot (slow cooker) and feed myself something awesome.

I have pantry staples, in general. Anything I don’t have, I’m willing to go out and get.

Oh, I also have a pressure cooker (electric), if that’s better. I’ve never used it before, but I’m interested in doing so. I’m just trying to have food I cook myself and avoid heating up the house.

Any suggestions or recipes?

I always heard that carnivores tasted terrible?

:smiley:

Note from Moderator: Title originally spelt “lion” which explains this comment. We fixed the spelling in the title, so this comment now seems puzzling and I thought an explanation was in order. '-- CKDH

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/361282 has some wonderfully yummy sounding ideas.

My mom used to cook pork ribs and sauerkraut in the pressure cooker, but I think pork loin is too lean for that.

**X **should be pineapple juice. I’ve done pork roasts in the crockpot with about 8-10 ounces of pineapple juice and a cup or so of water, and let it cook all day. The acids in the juice break down the meat so it’s incredibly tender, and adds a nice sweetness. A Vidalia onion, sliced up and laid in the bottom of the crockpot and on top of the roast, is always good, too.

Yeah, my advice would be not to use loin for slow cooking. Shoulder is the perfect cut of meat for that. Loin ends up dry and stringy to my tastes. However, plenty of people seem to like slow-cooked loin just fine, and the recipes in your linked thread would be a good start.

Well, I don’t mind doing something else, but cooking in my kitchen kind of sucks. I don’t have central A/C, and the window units are about as far from the kitchen as possible. Worst of all, I tried to open the kitchen window tonight, and was completely unable to do so. I think it might be painted shut (or it just might be the angle I have to approach at).

I’m willing to consider other recipes, but the loin just went in the fridge to thaw tonight. I figured I could bake tomorrow, since it’ll be about as cool as it’s going to get, so I’ll take roasting suggestions too. I just worry the loin won’t be thawed by then.

Also, I keep typing “lion” when I mean “loin”.

A small jar of horseradish.

Pork loin should do fine in a slow cooker.

But it is leaner than some meats, so you should use a ‘juicy’ sauce on it – something with plenty of liquid.

The pineapple juice idea sounds fine. I’ve also heard of recipes using orange juice.

Adding onions is fine too. Or other vegetables. I’d avoid ones that absorb liquid, like potatoes, rice, or pasta; or add them only toward the end of cooking.

I’ve had some real good pork loin done in a slow cooker swiss-steak style – with onions, green peppers, and tomatoes.

He’s apparently not eating the lion top roast, just sexually violating it.

Canned pineapples in their own juice are wonderful with any kind of pork, IME. I don’t like the light or heavy syrups on meat, but the unsweetened juice is just right.

Cut the roast into dice, add 4 chipotles and 3 tablespoons of adobo. Add an chopped onion, a Green Pepper, a Serrano chile, and 8 cloves of garlic, Chicken (or turkey) stock to cover,.Salt and Pepper.

Tortillas, and all the fixings. Salsa, guac and Sour cream would probably do well.

Actually, for the tacos, you want a shredding, juicy, but not wet consistency. You don’t want to cover the dice of pork entirely… maybe 1/2-3/4 level on the meat. One must remember that you will get some serious moisture or juices out of that roast, as well.

Feel free to add more or less chile or any other ingredient according to your taste. This is a base, you may want it more spicy and red. It also doesn’t take long to rehydrate some dried ancho chile with hot water and puree it in the blender. It would be a welcome ingredient to this melange.

However you might have to balznce that ancho with a pinch of sugar.

Oh, lord. I thought I’d caught all of those mess ups. I didn’t even notice last night after Tristan commented! I was just puzzled then too.

Now I’m puzzled by the sexual violation comment, but apparently I’m too tired to be cooking pork loin.

Oh, wait, just got it…

X = marmalade and fresh chopped chilis

I make a slurry of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary and slather the roast in it, slice an onion and put it on the bottom of the crock pot, then the roast. Then I add about a cup of water and let it go all day. Sometimes I’ll add balsamic vinegar for a bit of tang. This goes great over some hot buttered noodles.

A couple cans of Coke.

That’s all I add and then serve it with a local bbq sauce. Yum!

Just to clarify: I don’t mean the syrupy juice from canned pineapples; I meant pineapple juice meant for drinking. And it needs to be diluted with some water.
I’ve done pork loin roasts in the crockpot quite a bit. They’re never dry. You do need a good bit of liquid, and don’t let it overcook.

I’ve done this one as well. You can use it as a marinade for pork chops, too. Rosemary is wonderful on pork and poultry.

I composed that recipe that I was a thinkin’ on and kicked it up a notch. Untested, but it shouldn’t go wrong…

DK’s Easy and Spicy Crockpot Pork Chile Colorado

2 1/2 pound pork loin or butt/shoulder roast
4 dried ancho chiles stemmed and deseeded
3 dried guajillo chiles stemmed and deseeded
3 Chipotle peppers, plus 3 tablespoons of adobo
8 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped
1 Onion chopped
1 Green Pepper Chopped (optional, add it if you like it)
1 Bottle of Negra Modelo Beer or your favorite beer
3 cups Chicken or turkey stock
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1 Tablesppon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Tear the stems off the tops of the anchos and guajillo’s, rip along the sides and discard the seeds. Heat a pan over high heat and quickly toast the chiles in the pan for about 15-20 seconds a side. Add the toasted chiles to a bowl and cover with very hot water from the tap- Let them sit and rehydrate for around 20 minutes.In the meantime Cut the Pork Roast into 1 inch cubes or dice, and chop the onion, green pepper, and garlic, adding all to the crockpot as you go along. Puree the rehydrated chiles in the blender with the Chipotles and adobo as well as a bit of the warm soaking water, along with the oregano, chilipowder, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the chile puree to the crockpot, pour in the bottle of Negra Modelo and then enough chicken stock to nearly cover the pork and veg in the crockpot. Set the crockpot on its low setting and let go all day or night (7-12 hours, depending.) Serve with flour or corn tortillas and your favorite taco toppings, guac, salsa, and sour cream.