###$$$%%%#$^&&%%#POS iMac!!!!!

Well, Apple didn’t necessarily develop it. They introduced the conceptual plans, which was then actually developed by the IEEE 1394 Working Group. So while Apple did introduce the basic structural plans, the actual product was actually built by a whole group of companies (It included IBM, Microsoft, Motorola, and Apple, among others, but I might be mistaken).

nothing major to add to the blood sport, 'cept to say that when I saw the imacs for the first time the thought that first occured to me was they look like the old swatches I used to waer in junior high school. the whole pseudo futurist “you can see inside the machine thru the clear plastic” thing. :::Yawn:::
I’m sort of an anomaly in my field, audio has been firmly controlled by macs since the beginning- with the major pro audio hardware and software developer (Digidesign, makers of ProTools) only recently deeming to make thier wares for us in the PC world. I actually wanted a mac, but mom and dad, being pragmatists, decided thier college lad should have a PC instead. I could really go either way now, I’m only in PC world cuz thats where I’ve been all along.

At the same time, I feel similarly to the way I feel about people who bash AOL and Windows for being to big and impersonal and generic. Maybe so, and i don’
t love the idea that I pay the biggest media company in the universe 20 bucks a month for email, but I really like the idea of a common platform. I like that my family all have AOL and have Instant Messenger, I like the fact that I can take a floppy of paperwork from home to my office and print it out there, I like the standards. I guess I am a populist in that sense, but it certainly strikes me as convienient.

thats all
CJ

I got a PC because that’s what all my friends had, and it’s what all the games got made for.

If I was a video professional, I’d get a Mac. Probably.

It’s all practical. Get what works for you. It’s not a better or worse thing, really it’s not. Stop all this idiotic bickering and enjoy what you have, and don’t enjoy it when it breaks down.

Why can’t we all just… get along?

The arrogance of today’s Mac or PC users pales in comparison to that of AMIGA owners from the late 80s/early 90s. Anyone remember that? Those were the scariest geeks I’ve ever met.

Yes, but my landlord just sold his old Amiga and a box of software for $2500 - find ANY 10+ year-old computer that can match that!

We’re still using two Performa 475’s (similar to a 386) in the studio for email, web, accounting and some design work.

I’m among the “PC at work Mac at home” crowd, with a twist - I’m the Network Admin for 55 computers and three servers, all Microsoft based, random mix of 95/98 and NT/2000. Between myself and my full time assistant we have quite a bit of work to do just keeping all these PCs running! My assistant is learning to love Linux, so we may still have a use for all the 5+ year-old machines.

I have a G-3 Blue&White at home for hobbys (music recording using MOTU, Photoshop for my digital camera fun), and though it has had its moments in the past it has never gone down since I upgraded to OS9.1 - looking forward to OSX, the beta works very nicely! I do own a “tinker-toy” PC I built from parts, but I used it so rarely I have since loaned it to a local restauraunt to do their menus & accounting (they give me beer in return - the perfect trade!).

In short, I use the right tool for the right job. I wouldn’t trust my music or other art to a Microsoft product, but at work it’s unavoidable because the more scaleable business programs are MS only, and the hardware is cheaper overall.

G4, man, you gotta get a G4! Apple’s gotta phase the G3’s out ASAP! 'Specially now that they’ve started putting G4’s in Powerbooks…

G4… supercomputer… G4!

Back to Rocketeer’s situation, I agree that you just got a dud, get Apple to fix it.

Most of the actual hardware involved besides the processor is exactly the same in PC’s and Mac’s - yes, you can use generic PC100 RAM in that iMac.

I once worked at a local college in the Business-Computer labs, one lab was all Mac SE the other three were all PC. Over the course of a month all the Mac hard-drives simply froze - turns out that the month we purchased them was the month Sony(I think) had put the wrong grease in their hard-drives. Every one was covered by warranty.

Nah, I’ll wait for the quad-processor G5’s, with the 50,000RPM Ultra-wide SPIZZY drive that doubles as a gyro for the built-in scooter! So I can burn DVDs on the way to work…

But only if it comes with OSXXX…

LC, I’m sorry if the fact that we Amiga users actually know what is going on in our systems, and how our OS works scares you, but hey, it is nice to see Macs and PC’s finally catching up to us in terms of usability and flexability, too bad it still takes you half a gig of mem to manage it.

*Defiling the Holy Name of MACINTOSH is heresy! BLASPHEMER! KILL THE HERETIC!

{ahem}

Sorry. :wink:

Esprix, with my PowerMac 7100 and soon to be touting a G4 tower - Mac, baby, born and raised!

“The Holy Name Of MacIntosh”? Is that anything like “The Holy Name Of Pauly Shore”? :smiley:

SPOOFE, dude, stop following me around. Yer creepin’ me out…

Esprix