Post CF and on-going Trump outrages

So all those Star Trek aliens have antlers. Who knew?!1!!

Not I, that’s for sure. Thank you! :wink:

Fighting ignorance in the Pit now are we?

The messagebored’s charter is to fight ignorance. Why should and forum be exempt? (And besides, it was not fighting ignorance so much as being pitantic).

Another softball lobbed over the plate…

And if you hit it for a home run, people will hate you because you broke one of the many* unwritten rules of baseball, and dishonored the game, and may cause opposing pitchers to throw at your head.

*How many are there? no one knows, because no one wrote them down.

Oh yeah? Then explain staghorn corals, huh??? And staghorn sumacs? They wouldn’t have called them that if stags didn’t have horns because “not-stag horn sumacs” just sounds dumb.

People park in a driveway but drive on a parkway.

We name things stupid names.

The National Review article linked to there is worth a read, too.

Very paywalled.

I clicked on it from inside the Huff Post article and got through.

I also got right through from HuffPo. But here’s a sample:

Just how far out there is Trump’s theory? Consider that, even if it were true that the 2020 election had been stolen — which it is absolutely not — his belief would still be absurd. It could be confirmed tomorrow that agents working for a combination of al-Qaeda, Venezuela, and George Soros had hacked into every single voting machine in the country and altered the totals by tens of millions, and it would remain the case there is no mechanism within the American legal order for a do-over of any sort. In such an eventuality, there would be indictments, an impeachment drive, and a constitutional crisis. But, however bad it got, Donald Trump would not be “reinstated” to the presidency. That is not how America works, how America has ever worked, or how America can ever work. American politicians do not lose their reelection races only to be reinstalled later on, as might the second-place horse in a race whose winner was disqualified. The idea is otherworldly and obscene.

(bolding mine) I wonder if all this was inspired by the Kentucky Derby winner likely being disqualified …

Thanks for the ‘clip’. May be that my browser doesn’t play well with the NR.

Nice catch. I bet that’s exactly where this came from!

I got the article with no problem, but with a note that “You have 3 free articles remaining.”

The Undead walks…

Mr. Trump, who White House officials said watched with pleasure as his supporters stormed the Capitol and disrupted the Jan. 6 certification of the Electoral College vote, has told several people he believes he could be “reinstated” to the White House this August, according to three people familiar with his remarks. He has been echoing a theory promulgated by supporters like Mike Lindell, the chief executive of MyPillow, and Sidney Powell, the lawyer being sued for defamation by election machine companies for spreading conspiracy theories about the safety of their ballots.

President Biden’s victory, with more than 80 million votes, was certified by Congress once the Jan. 6 riot was contained. There is no legal mechanism for reinstating a president, and the efforts by Republicans in the Arizona Senate to recount the votes in the state’s largest county have been derided as fake and inept by local Republican officials, who say the result is a partisan circus that is eroding confidence in elections.

Blahblahblah…

He said reinstated to the White House, not reinstated as president.

Maybe secret service just needs a new tackle dummy.

FWIW, I browse The National Review semi-regularly - I’m trying to avoid living in the liberal bubble, and it’s interesting to watch them try to thread the needle between conservatism and Trumpism- and I’ve never had to defeat a paywall.

BTW, there are parts of the article under discussion that are a little infuriating because they try to pretend that Hillary and the liberal mob denied the election results thing in 2016.

My favourite quote from the NYT article:

“Episodically enraged”. I love that.